"New" Guild dealer in Central Massachusetts

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Been some time since I walked through local City Music. A candy apple red Gretsch 512x or something was still hanging behind the counter (drool!), but as
I started down the long acoustic aisle I find a Guild, then another, then more. Apparently they are a Guild dealer again!

Back in early/mid 90's, when the store opened as FM Music (owner a former worker at Fitchburg Music and having bought part of it out) they were a Guild dealer and I recall "True Americans" and D-25's on the wall. Eventually sold and renamed Action Music cannot remember Guilds in the mix, resold again and opening as City Music, they were a dealer and
carried most of the GAD line (My former GAD30PCE came from there about ten years ago). When New Hartford closed, Guild dealership ended. Now its back, I see they also are handling Cordoba. Did not see Marc Rhines the owner, will have to ask whaz up?

Their market is not in high ticket American-made pieces, so I will expect to only see Asian there, but nice to have it local again for Union Music in Worcester (now on its second
owner since Carl sold) seems to carry only the electric line...not a complaint, usually have a nice mix, but have not seen any acoustics.

Last edited:

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
When I was last in, at a Saturday bluegrass jam, maybe end of July? Nary a one. Not that there weren't some previously, but I took it the new owners were putting there resources into the electrics...they also got the Fender franchise after Kurlin Music closed...this is post-Carl. They do seem to have a lot more used equipment than previously.

But then, have not been there in a month...

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My post was from early June, lots of Guilds then. Don't know what happened in between then and now. I was in there last week and forgot to look around - I just grabbed some strings I wanted to try and left!

walrus

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Naww, not really, LOL It is now owned by a husband/WIFE team, did you get my inflection? Husband plays fiddle, attends all the bluegrass jams, wife doesn't see the
point in hosting them (as rumor goes). I always try to buy something before leaving, just to show they got some cash in during that time period...

They really do keep a nice selection of Guild electrics at any given time. Never had that in this region before...