the mole has checked out

mellowgerman

Reaction score

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Larry "the mole" Taylor of Canned Heat fame has passed. Maybe not a Guild player (as far as I know) but he sure was a fantastic bassman.

Dang. Thanks for the heads-up, Mellow.
I've actually cited him here myself for having been one of the session men giving the Monkees "cool creds" on the first 2 albums and he was also Harvey Mandel's bassist partner for many years.
I actually first remember noting his name on Baby Batter , since I bought that before I ever bought any Canned Heat albums.

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for posting, RIP Larry. I saw Canned Heat in a bar in San Francisco in the early '70's.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I remember Larry Taylor more for his work with the Hollywood Fats Band. Fantastic musician; really could make a rythm section swing. Play on, Mole!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I remember Larry Taylor more for his work with the Hollywood Fats Band. Fantastic musician; really could make a rythm section swing. Play on, Mole!

Also just noticed no mention in that article that he was younger brother of long-time Ventures drummer Mel Taylor, so suspect not only did talent run in the family but he had a lot of opportunities to start honin' his chops at home as a kid.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
I still remember his solo from the album where he introduces all the members one by one... Boogie with Canned Heat?

Yes! That was the first Canned Heat album I had. Remember being excited to come across it junior year of high school. I only knew "Going Up the Country" and "On the Road Again", so I was stoked to dig deeper into their catalog.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The whole album is gold.

I got a hold of it when I was 12 in '72 and probably almost wore it out. Timeless Rock n Roll, the instruments sounded fantastic. Wouldn't mind knowing more about their gear, studio, etc.

I've had On the Road Again running through my head often on since then. Really had a big impact on me.