Guild Stuart X700 Info

mford

Reaction score
I have been playing a blonde Guild X700 Stuart for the past 9 years which has been been great and has a wonderful warm sound but as a fingerstyle player, usually nylon strung, I have found another archtop better suited to my needs and style of playing.

I'm looking to sell the X700 but am struggling to date it. The serial number on the headstock is AK700276 however the listing for these only seems to run up until Ak700213!

Any ideas what year this instrument might be? I'm also at a loss as to how much to sell it for if I do. I know it's only worth what someone is willing to pay but a starting point would be helpful - any thoughts?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Condition matters a lot.

You had nylon strings on an x700?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have been playing a blonde Guild X700 Stuart for the past 9 years which has been been great and has a wonderful warm sound but as a fingerstyle player, usually nylon strung, I have found another archtop better suited to my needs and style of playing.

I'm looking to sell the X700 but am struggling to date it. The serial number on the headstock is AK700276 however the listing for these only seems to run up until Ak700213!
It's a known glitch, those records only cover up to some time in '97 even though they sort of imply they cover up to '99.
Hans Moust, author of the Guild Guitar Book is a member here and could nail it down for you, which would probably be useful if you're looking to sell it.
Use this link to send him a private message or email if he doesn't see this soon.
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/member.php?23172-hansmoust

Last edited:

mford

Reaction score
That’s very helpful, very much appreciated, I’ll follow that up

Cheers

M

mford

Reaction score
No sorry, probably not clear, I have always played nylon but began playing steel string when I got the X700. I now play fingerstyle on both...would love a nylon arch top though!

mford

Reaction score
Condition matters a lot.
You had nylon strings on an x700?

Condition wise the guitar isn’t pristine, it’s done probably over 800 gigs and has 2/3 small marks on the top and a mark on the side. But for a working instrument probably best described as Good condition.

I didn’t put nylon strings on the X700, I didn’t explain myself well. I was playing mainly nylon until I got the Guild, now I play both.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Condition wise the guitar isn’t pristine, it’s done probably over 800 gigs and has 2/3 small marks on the top and a mark on the side. But for a working instrument probably best described as Good condition.

I didn’t put nylon strings on the X700, I didn’t explain myself well. I was playing mainly nylon until I got the Guild, now I play both.

pics would be fun for this one, based on your description...bet it has a lot of character.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's a known glitch, those records only cover up to some time in '97 even though they sort of imply they cover up to '99.
Hans Moust, author of the Guild Guitar Book is a member here and could nail it down for you, which would probably be useful if you're looking to sell it.
Use this link to send him a private message or email if he doesn't see this soon.
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/member.php?23172-hansmoust
Hans usually prefers to get emails through his website, to avoid clogging up his inbox here, I believe.
http://www.guitarchives.nl

mford

Reaction score
pics would be fun for this one, based on your description...bet it has a lot of character.

I’ll do that tomorrow if I can figure out a simple way of posting images.

It’s been a wonderful working instrument but the neck and feel just don’t suit by style of fingerstyle playing, I’ll definitely miss it’s luxurious rich sound but if I can’t play it then it will just sit on the wall!

Last edited:

mford

Reaction score
An update on this, I got a very prompt response from Hans Moust who has informed me that the guitar was made in 1998. Result! I now need to put a value on it.