Good Bones Can Still Be Had For Cheap

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1965 D-40 at a pawn shop for $197. After repairing two holes, two top cracks, two back cracks, a long side crack, a cracked X brace and two separated back braces, I have a wonderful instrument! It had already had a quality neck reset done. The luthiers worked magic when they built this one. My Martin has barely left the case over the past month. The icing on the cake is that my brother is giving me a Guild case of the same vintage. I'm composing my first all-instrumental music on this guitar and having a good time at it. What a great guitar.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I recently bought a 1965 D-40 at a pawn shop for $197. After repairing two holes, two top cracks, two back cracks, a long side crack, a cracked X brace and two separated back braces, I have a wonderful instrument! It had already had a quality neck reset done. The luthiers worked magic when they built this one. My Martin has barely left the case over the past month. The icing on the cake is that my brother is giving me a Guild case of the same vintage. I'm composing my first all-instrumental music on this guitar and having a good time at it. What a great guitar.

I respect folks like you (and am also a bit jealous) that have the skill and guts to do this type of work. I'm just basically incompetent at most everything in life but good on you and congrats!!!.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
awesome! $197 amazing find. and not need a neck reset.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Bravo and welcome! I love stories like this!! That one sounds like a real gem.. Would love to see some pictures if you are so inclined..

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Awesome story. Guitars that are a labor of love usually end up being pretty special, especially when they're old Guilds.

Sounds like you're officially off into Guild collecting neverland with two, or some would call it "a starter kit" ;)

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
RD40 - Ever figure out how load picts? Would love to see your handi-work!

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I respect folks like you (and am also a bit jealous) that have the skill and guts to do this type of work. I'm just basically incompetent at most everything in life but good on you and congrats!!!.

Well, Richard, then you are one of the most competent incompetent b*****ds on the face of this earth, not to mention one of the most kind! :biggrin-new: