Duane Allman's Les Paul sells for $1.25 Million

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
From the auction website:

The Goldtop was used by Duane on the Allman Brothers debut album released in ‘69, as well as “Idlewild South” released in 1970. The albums featured the original versions of “Whipping Post,” “In Memory of Elizabeth Reed,” “Midnight Rider,” “Revival” and other classics. The guitar can clearly be seen in the “Loan Me A Dime” studio sessions. It was also used on the Historic “Layla” sessions with Eric Clapton on August 1970. The guitar was known as “The Studio Guitar” as Duane used this guitar the most in the studio.
The story is just a few weeks after the “Layla” sessions, Duane traded the guitar for a cherry sunburst. On September 16, 1970, the Allmans played a show in Duane and Gregg Allman’s hometown of Daytona, Florida. Duane, fresh off recording “Layla” was, as usual, playing his ’57 Goldtop. The opening band was a local group called the Stone Balloon, whose guitarist, Rick Stine, was playing a 1959 cherry sunburst Les Paul, which Duane was fond of. While making “Layla” he had fallen in love with Clapton’s cherry sunburst. Wanting one of his own, Duane offered to swap Les Pauls with Rick. When Rick hesitated, Allman upped the stakes, throwing in $200 and one of his regular Marshall 50 heads. Rick agreed and the deal was finalized. After switching hands three times after, the guitar was then purchased by its owner in 1977. The guitar has been refinished twice. The first time the owner was dissatisfied with the results so he went to Tom Murphy, the most renowned “Goldtop guy” in the world. The guitar was then refinished to all its glory.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just from memory I know exactly what that guitar sounds like, Ildewild South was on my rotation list very early on, it's ingrained... Some of the finest rock ever recorded, two drummers?

Same with Layla.

A Goldtop is still on my bucket list, but maybe with soapbars, a la Danny Lanois.

Last edited:

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
I wonder if Jim Irsay scored another piece of rock n roll history?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Refin. Only worth $750K.
"The guitar has been refinished twice. The first time the owner was dissatisfied with the results so he went to Tom Murphy, the most renowned “Goldtop guy” in the world. The guitar was then refinished to all its glory." But to potential buyers (like Jim Irsay) who spent that much money it's not about originality of every part but about who owned and played it for some time I guess. A Joe Bonamassa on the other hand looks about guitars which are original as much as possible. And he said he would never buy at auctions but prefers to buy from original owners directly.
Ralf

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
"The guitar has been refinished twice. The first time the owner was dissatisfied with the results so he went to Tom Murphy, the most renowned “Goldtop guy” in the world. The guitar was then refinished to all its glory." But to potential buyers (like Jim Irsay) who spent that much money it's not about originality of every part but about who owned and played it for some time I guess. A Joe Bonamassa on the other hand looks about guitars which are original as much as possible. And he said he would never buy at auctions but prefers to buy from original owners directly.
Ralf
I forgot to use the sarcasm font.

JF-30

Reaction score
Its because of Irsay that guys like us can't have anything nice.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Its because of Irsay that guys like us can't have anything nice.

Yeah

Just look at our sigs - you have only one Guild - I have no Martins - POOR US :barbershop_quartet_

JF-30

Reaction score
Yeah

Just look at our sigs - you have only one Guild - I have no Martins - POOR US :barbershop_quartet_

No Martins, well stop half steppin' and get on it. I wanted to get a used M-20 this weekend, but I found a killer used '17 Martin D-15M for $750.

But none of us will own the Black Strat or D-35 Wish was played on.

Man, does this forum have the same sense of humor as the Gibson Forum? They were the super no fun zone. Lets just talk about what nothing but what the nut width was and what proper bracing was on a '54 J-45.

One thing we all need to remember, unless those rock stars we all idolize bought an uber super mega ultra custom model. The guitars they bought were ones you could have bought. Gilmour's Black Strat I think was just a regular used Strat off the rack. What he does with it when he touches it is when the magic happens.

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
No Martins, well stop half steppin' and get on it. I wanted to get a used M-20 this weekend, but I found a killer used '17 Martin D-15M for $750.

But none of us will own the Black Strat or D-35 Wish was played on.

Man, does this forum have the same sense of humor as the Gibson Forum? They were the super no fun zone. Lets just talk about what nothing but what the nut width was and what proper bracing was on a '54 J-45.

One thing we all need to remember, unless those rock stars we all idolize bought an uber super mega ultra custom model. The guitars they bought were ones you could have bought. Gilmour's Black Strat I think was just a regular used Strat off the rack. What he does with it when he touches it is when the magic happens.

JF - Actually Gilmour's strat was a partscaster.. as I understand it.. And agreed..

JF-30

Reaction score
JF - Actually Gilmour's strat was a partscaster.. as I understand it.. And agreed..

Not when he got it. He Partscastered it during his 3? years of so of ownership. He had 6 different necks on it. Who knows how many pups. Either the trem. arm was shorter than normal or he shorted it. That is all I got right now.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

Well a lot of people chuckle when I answer rhetorical questions. That said there is a lot that was intended as humor that goes over my head. But I'm sure none of these Gibson folks are amused at inverted truss rod covers.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My fiddle player told me the old Stradivarius violins have had fingerboards and other parts replaced over the years, and that makes sense. It would likely get some divots in the fingerboard after 50 years, 100 years...my friend got to play a Strad one time because he was 1st chair in college and a visiting prof allowed the 1st chair to play his Strad. And what did he play? "Yakity Sax" by Boots Randolph, LOL:adoration:

JF-30

Reaction score
Well a lot of people chuckle when I answer rhetorical questions. That said there is a lot that was intended as humor that goes over my head. But I'm sure none of these Gibson folks are amused at inverted truss rod covers.

Gibson is a mess right now. I think the Canadian guy who is now the CEO is really just in it for the $. Quality is a joke there.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Gibson is a mess right now. I think the Canadian guy who is now the CEO is really just in it for the $. Quality is a joke there.

Well, I'm not so sure about the quality part. That might be a bit too much of a generalization but we're all entitled to our own opinions. I've mentioned before that although I don't consider myself anywhere near an expert, I have several Gibson acoustics (some pretty recent) that are superb. I'd put them up build and tone vs. any manufacturer out there.

My first love are my Guilds. I've sold off every Taylor,
Martin, Collings etc. I had owned and now (except for a couple low end imports) am down to just Guild and Gibson. I'm not at all unhappy about that.

JF-30

Reaction score
Well, I'm not so sure about the quality part. That might be a bit too much of a generalization but we're all entitled to our own opinions. I've mentioned before that although I don't consider myself anywhere near an expert, I have several Gibson acoustics (some pretty recent) that are superb. I'd put them up build and tone vs. any manufacturer out there.

My first love are my Guilds. I've sold off every Taylor,
Martin, Collings etc. I had owned and now (except for a couple low end imports) am down to just Guild and Gibson. I'm not at all unhappy about that.

The Gibson acoustic may be a different story. I am not a fan of the Gibson thump as you Gibson's guys call it. I've owned Gibson electric's and just one Gibson acoustic, since I was 16 (I'm now 52) and over the last few years the electrics have been awful. After the Mark Agnesi video I took my Gibson BB King to my local mom and pop shop and traded it for a Martin 000-28 straight over. Henry almost sank that company. I think some of the old time Gibson lovers are seeing that the company is in trouble. Gibson just lowered prices on their new 2019's. Mmmmm. Gibson lowering prices. WTF. Gibson does not lower prices until the season is over and they are tryin to make way for new stuff.

I'm good with my Guild and Martins. There is always room for another Guild or Martin in my Mancave.

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm not a huge fan of newer Gibbys, but there are plenty of old ones I would love to have, including my buddy's '66 Hummingbird, and an ES 335.

JF-30

Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of newer Gibbys, but there are plenty of old ones I would love to have, including my buddy's '66 Hummingbird, and an ES 335.

Of all of Gibson's acoustics I do like the Dove, HB and the Songwritter. The one thing they have in common. All Dreads. But the Dove cost 7k and your first born.

A killer 335 is the best electric they ever made.

Last edited: