Duane Allman's Les Paul sells for $1.25 Million

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Of all of Gibson's acoustics I do like the Dove, HB and the Songwritter. The one thing they have in common. All Dreads. But the Dove cost 7k and your first born.

A killer 335 is the best electric they ever made.[/QU

I wish you folks were closer. I'd like you to test drive my:
-09 J 45 Zebrawood
-15 J 45 Mahogany
-15 J 45 Maple
-17 J 45 Rosewood with vine inlays on fingerboard
-93 J 100 Xtra
-77 Dove
-16 SJ

I think you'd find all of these to be pretty special, from the oldest to the newest,

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey, I'm close enough to visit sometime! At least we both live in Michigan...

JF-30

Reaction score
Of all of Gibson's acoustics I do like the Dove, HB and the Songwritter. The one thing they have in common. All Dreads. But the Dove cost 7k and your first born.

A killer 335 is the best electric they ever made.[/QU

I wish you folks were closer. I'd like you to test drive my:
-09 J 45 Zebrawood
-15 J 45 Mahogany
-15 J 45 Maple
-17 J 45 Rosewood with vine inlays on fingerboard
-93 J 100 Xtra
-77 Dove
-16 SJ

I think you'd find all of these to be pretty special, from the oldest to the newest,

I play every J-45 they have in any store I am in. They just don't do anything for me. I used to be a Gibson fan. Now nope.

JF-30

Reaction score
I play every J-45 they have in any store I am in. They just don't do anything for me. I used to be a Gibson fan. Now nope.

Are they really J-45's of they are made of Hog and Maple? Aren't the purist rolling over in their grave. I thought that shape made of Maple was called a J-35 or some other J- ??.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Are they really J-45's of they are made of Hog and Maple? Aren't the purist rolling over in their grave. I thought that shape made of Maple was called a J-35 or some other J- ??.
I thought maybe they were just trying to emulate Guild's enviable record of model number inconsistency.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

Personally, I don't know or much care about the "purists". And yes, they are for sure J 45's. Not all that unique either. Gibson is certainly not unique in offering the same model # in different tonewoods. I will say that the Maple J 45 is one of the sweetest Maple guitars I've ever played.

idealassets

Reaction score
I have played a few Gibson SJ-200's, and one Montana Gold that were very nice. But yes, they were all used, older year guitars.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
A lot of folks don’t know that when the Gibson SJ-200 was first introduced in 1938 it had rosewood back and sides. The model was discontinued during WW II because of materials shortages. When it was reintroduced after the war it had maple back and sides.

I was watching a “singing cowboy” movie from the late 1930’s a while ago, and the star, Jimmy Wakely, was sure enough playing a rosewood SJ-200.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yup, they re-introduced the RW version. I owned one a few years back. It was pretty special. I wish I still had it but my dog needed a surgery at the time and dogs trump guitars every day and all the time, at least for me .

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
When I play a guitar I don't play a brand…I play that specific guitar. If it's a good 'un then it just is, regardless of the name on the headstock. IMO brand fixation is among the dumber aspects of guitar culture. It can & does result in players dismissing fine instruments while defending mediocre ones. Also IMO it's as silly to own a particular brand/model just 'cuz xxxx has one as it is to cancel an entire company just 'cuz xxxx marketing fail.

On a related note, I think we're gonna see a serious paring down of the guitar biz over the next decade or so. I hope the major players are prepared to reorganize themselves as smaller, more high-end operations 'cuz I suspect that's the only way they'll be able to stay in business.

-Dave-

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
On a related note, I think we're gonna see a serious paring down of the guitar biz over the next decade or so. I hope the major players are prepared to reorganize themselves as smaller, more high-end operations 'cuz I suspect that's the only way they'll be able to stay in business.

-Dave-

For electric or acoustic?
Purely by way of counterpoint, I myself was pretty surprised to see figures citing the flattop market as actually experiencing growth, at least a couple of years ago.
It came up when most of the opinion being expressed was that one reason Guitar Center was likely doomed to implode was that demand was shrinking; all us aging baby boomers exiting the market and the move to digital instruments like keyboards, so seeing a solid trend of increasing sales quoted for that niche, from a credible source (an industry publication), surprised me.

JF-30

Reaction score
When I play a guitar I don't play a brand…I play that specific guitar. If it's a good 'un then it just is, regardless of the name on the headstock. IMO brand fixation is among the dumber aspects of guitar culture. It can & does result in players dismissing fine instruments while defending mediocre ones. Also IMO it's as silly to own a particular brand/model just 'cuz xxxx has one as it is to cancel an entire company just 'cuz xxxx marketing fail.

-Dave-
Not to be a wise _ _ _ , but looks to me like you have a lot of Guilds, last I checked that is a brand.

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
I couldn’t care less about who’s played them, or where the company is headed.

The only thing that counts in my book, is that Gibsons have consistently been the instruments I’ve found the most satisfying - both acoustic and electric. It could all be pared back to just the J-185 & ES-330, and I’d be a perfectly happy camper!

JF-30

Reaction score
I couldn’t care less about who’s played them, or where the company is headed.

The only thing that counts in my book, is that Gibsons have consistently been the instruments I’ve found the most satisfying - both acoustic and electric. It could all be pared back to just the J-185 & ES-330, and I’d be a perfectly happy camper!

I recognize you from the Gibson Forum. I'm FZ Fan. The acoustics I a not as knowledgeable as the guys over there, but the electrics, up until recently I've had Gibson electrics since I was 16 (I'm 52) and the quality is going down and down and down. Look at the threat in the Lounge started by Bad Blues Player and the saga of his new 2019 SG. He had a huge defect under the pup ring and pick guard that the skilled techs that made his guitar just covered up cause who is gonna take out the pups and look at them and who in their right mind is gonna look under the pickguard?

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
FZ, this stuff happens - I can just as easily direct you to Marin threads re neck resets needed & loose bindings on recent Martins. Btw, BBP’s replacement SG is a keeper.

Again, where any of these companies end up is an unknown & doesn’t impact the guitar in your hands. For me, the best of the bunch have been Gibson’s, with my Guilds a solid second, and Martins a very distant third on the acoustic side. If your Martins work the best for you, that’s clearly a good thing.

JF-30

Reaction score
FZ, this stuff happens - I can just as easily direct you to Marin threads re neck resets needed & loose bindings on recent Martins. Btw, BBP’s replacement SG is a keeper.

Again, where any of these companies end up is an unknown & doesn’t impact the guitar in your hands. For me, the best of the bunch have been Gibson’s, with my Guilds a solid second, and Martins a very distant third on the acoustic side. If your Martins work the best for you, that’s clearly a good thing.

Oh I know, but I was a huge Gibson fan for decades. I owned them since I was 16, and ever since the Henry debacle and on till today it just makes me sick all the greed that company has ( I think the Levis guy is just in it for a cash grab) and then he will depart, and remember Only A Gibson Is Good Enough. He's Canadian and now runs the company and has to answer to people who want their investment back and do not care how well a J-45 is made, just that they sell. I predict if he stays awhile some day some Gibson's will be made in Canada. Every company has their own issues but Gibson over the past decade or so has been terrible. How many Guild or Martin scandals have been in the news in the past decade. None. Gibson - The Wood Raid, The Firebird X Excavator Smashing, The Ch 11 stuff, Henry getting canned, The Mark Agnesi video (although I believe he was forced to do that), Henry wanting a guitar company to be a lifestyle brand (being gay or lesbian is a lifestyle). There may be more. It just seems Gibson fans look the other way and just shrug it off and accept the BS from that company.

Did you see the nut on BBP's SG that got I guess Pleked? It looked like a rabid chimp cut the slots, and he had to go through a dozen or so to find one that was well made. Nice try on its a keeper. The first one should have been a keeper. And if he didn't take of the pickguard and pups he never would have seen it and you know the people who make it let it go out that way and did not care one iota.

Yes it seems Martin does more neck resets than most, but that is the price of doing business when owning an acoustic. If you keep strings on your guitar over the course of many years the 150+ pound of tension that is constantly on a guitar eventually a neck even a superior Gibson will need to be reset.

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Back to topic, did somebody find out who the buyer was of Duane Allman's Les Paul ?
Ralf