Doyle Dykes Finger-style Maestro on Guilds

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, I'll say two (maybe more) things:

1.) The Maple Cutaway he was playing looks a whole lot like the DD6 MCE I just picked up.

2.) The sound that comes out of it sounds a whole lot different than when I play it.

This guy is pretty special and I love hearing him play. Thanks for sharing the link.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
. . .

2.) The sound that comes out of it sounds a whole lot different than when I play it...

Reminds me of Leo Kottke playing Steinberger bass w Gallien-Kruger 2x50W transistor amp w two Marshall cabinets at James Berns Music back then - when I was there - and my colleague comes to me saying : Nuuska - can ya hear that? Sounds just like Leo Kottke!

Was he ever surprised to find out, that it was indeed Leo . . .

Reaction score
Doyle Dykes is one of my favorite players. I can’t touch his sound or style however.

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Doyle Dykes is one of my favorite players. I can’t touch his sound or style however.

Yeah I don't think there are many who can.. Big fan of Double D.. He seems like such a humble dude.. He is truly amazing.. I believe he is one of the best of all time and I know that is subjective, but my god the sounds he makes.. To me he has surpassed those who have influenced him.. My opinion.. Just a dynamo.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
He's a very nice man...met him many times...as well as his son and daughter who are musicians as well...lovely family...all extremely talented...recommend seeing him if you get the chance.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll say two (maybe more) things:
1.) The Maple Cutaway he was playing looks a whole lot like the DD6 MCE I just picked up.

Not sure if this was just a set up for the joke but just in case it's actually a question, I believe that is his DD6Mce, the fret markers in particular are a good giveaway and not all that many were made even for production, but can't recall a figure right now.
Less than 50?

Tom O

Reaction score
Guild Total
I would like to know how many as well. at lease 11 DD6 in 2013 and 8 in 2104. with seven DD12-MCE in 2104 per the serial numbers I have seen on Reverb.
The Roses on the saddle of the DD6 and the single color G on the shield are another way to tell.