Question about String Spacing on Guild 12 Strings

Ardor13

Reaction score
I don't know about the upper-class models, but (from my data sample of n == 2), my '76 Guild F112 has an E - to - E spacing of 1.62" at the nut, 2.41" at the bridge and a nut width of 1.79" My '80 F212c has an E-to-E spacing of 1.62" at the nut (same), 2.43" at the bridge, and a nut width of 1.82". These two instruments feel VERY different...

...my (n = 2) cents.

-Dan

Dan, thanks again for posting this. I'm checking out F112's, and other guilds right now, and the nut string spacing is a factor I'm looking at. Not easy to find this info otherwise!
Best
Neil

Ardor13

Reaction score
Dan, thanks again for posting this. I'm checking out F112's, and other guilds right now, and the nut string spacing is a factor I'm looking at. Not easy to find this info otherwise!
Best
Neil

Hey Dan, question... what is the F112 neck like for you? I've been playing a Taylor 855, which, for all it's reputation of playability, is hurting my hands, since I'm suddenly discovering that I'm a Large hands + large neck guy. As a fingerstylist, I'm thinking the F112's "quickness" might translate to more expressiveness, and might require less coaxing into action like a larger jumbo might. But it's still early in my journey of discovery.. One thing is for sure, I'm learning how one measurement will not always solve problem. :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hey Dan, question... what is the F112 neck like for you? I've been playing a Taylor 855, which, for all it's reputation of playability, is hurting my hands, since I'm suddenly discovering that I'm a Large hands + large neck guy. As a fingerstylist, I'm thinking the F112's "quickness" might translate to more expressiveness, and might require less coaxing into action like a larger jumbo might. But it's still early in my journey of discovery.. One thing is for sure, I'm learning how one measurement will not always solve problem. :)

F-112's based on the F30; I'm sure if the bridge spacing was any different from "the norm" Hans would have pointed it out, and the nut width spec was the "normal" Guild 1-13/16.
Having said that, what we DO know is that as a general principle neck profiles were definitely subject to variation over the course of production.
But I think most F-112's were built during the era when "chunky" necks seemed to predominate, 'mid 70's- early/mid '80's.
Don't forget the role fretboard radius plays in playability, too... 12-ers by nature tend to have flatter radii but that's supposed to actually work to a fingerpicker's advantage...

Last edited:

Ardor13

Reaction score
F-112's based on the F30; I'm sure if the bridge spacing was any different from "the norm" Hans would have pointed it out, and the nut width spec was the "normal" Guild 1-13/16.
Having said that, what we DO know is that as a general principle neck profiles were definitely subject to variation over the course of production.
But I think most F-112's were built during the era when "chunky" necks seemed to predominate, 'mid 70's- early/mid '80's.
Don't forget the role fretboard radius plays in playability, too... 12-ers by nature tend to have flatter radii but that's supposed to actually work to a fingerpicker's advantage...

Thanks! Suffice to say, the Guild 2512 neck profile and nut width were great. I’m starting to realize all my past guitars have been larger necks like this. Including my Rick 1993plus with the large neck/wide nut. The Taylor 855 is the first 12 I’ve had that is rather a small neck. As much as I’ve played 12s, it’s an interesting discovery, and I’m eating my words on not caring about necks. Suffice to say, I can more easily deal with the wider string spacing on the playing hand than I can with a small neck. My wrist is still sore from the Taylor. Neck litmus test... can you play for 8 hours without significant discomfort? Suffice to say, I’m packing my bags to Wildwood Guitars in CO! At the EOD, I just need to get my hands on some proper Guild 12ers. And probably return this pristine 1997 855, which is a shame, as I was starting to dig it... once I got some warmer strings on there.

Last edited:

Ardor13

Reaction score
Thanks! Suffice to say, the Guild 2512 neck profile and nut width were great. I’m starting to realize all my past guitars have been larger necks like this. Including my Rick 1993plus with the large neck/wide nut. The Taylor 855 is the first 12 I’ve had that is rather a small neck. As much as I’ve played 12s, it’s an interesting discovery, and I’m eating my words on not caring about necks. Suffice to say, I can more easily deal with the wider string spacing on the playing hand than I can with a small neck. My wrist is still sore from the Taylor. Neck litmus test... can you play for 8 hours without significant discomfort? Suffice to say, I’m packing my bags to Wildwood Guitars in CO! At the EOD, I just need to get my hands on some proper Guild 12ers. And probably return this pristine 1997 855, which is a shame, as I was starting to dig it... once I got some warmer strings on there.

Well, I now have both a rosewood and maple F-512 on hand to try out. I imagine this will turn into at least 4-5 new threads. More soon!