Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Shipping craziness #1834

  1. #11
    Senior Member Guildedagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    The Evergreen State
    Posts
    1,068
    It's shock damage. I once heard tell that they always shipped LP's with the Rhythm/Treble switch knob off, because the same would happen to them. That was probably bakelite or similar though, before plastics.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Guildedagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    The Evergreen State
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesickles View Post
    GAD, I have 8 of those knobs. Two are stripped though and move freely on the shaft.
    Find the right thickness shim material, usually paper, and after a little trial and error, you're in business.

  3. #13
    Senior Member adorshki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sillycon Valley CA
    Posts
    26,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Guildedagain View Post
    It's shock damage. I once heard tell that they always shipped LP's with the Rhythm/Treble switch knob off, because the same would happen to them. That was probably bakelite or similar though, before plastics.
    From the usual source:
    "Bakelite was designated a National Historic Chemical Landmark on November 9, 1993, by the American Chemical Society in recognition of its significance as the world's first synthetic plastic.[4]"
    Ok to be fair plastic's a very generic term and truth to tell, my aging memory had Bakelite confused with Henry Ford's soybean based plastic.
    For sure Bakelite's pretty brittle stuff though, and I get what you mean, the way those knobs compressed and sheared without actually breaking (and are clear) probably indicate a polycarbonate plastic.
    On reflection wouldn't surprise me if vintage Gibson knobs were actually NC-based plastic (celluloid) like was used for bindings in the '50's and which breaks down over time becoming very fragile.
    Last edited by adorshki; 08-16-2019 at 07:01 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    From the usual source:
    "Bakelite was designated a National Historic Chemical Landmark on November 9, 1993, by the American Chemical Society in recognition of its significance as the world's first synthetic plastic.[4]"
    Ok to be fair plastic's a very generic term and truth to tell, my aging memory had Bakelite confused with Henry Ford's soybean based plastic.
    For sure Bakelite's pretty brittle stuff though, and I get what you mean, the way those knobs compressed and sheared without actually breaking (and are clear) probably indicate a polycarbonate plastic.
    On reflection wouldn't surprise me if vintage Gibson knobs were actually NC-based plastic (celluloid) like was used for bindings in the '50's and which breaks down over time becoming very fragile.
    I think he means the old knobs were bakelite - not the ones on my guitar.
    '70s: [ S70 | S300ADs ]
    '80s: [ X79-3 | X80s | X82 | X100 | X175 | S281 | BHM1 ]
    '80s: [ Detonator | Liberator + Elite | SF4 | AA ]
    '90s: [ S100 | X160 | X170 | X170T | SF3,5 | BB | NB | NB DX ]
    '90s: [ X2000 | X3000 | X4000s | DV72 | BHM1 | JF30-12 | Songbird ]
    '00s: [ SF3 | SF4 | B-90 | BB-90 | X160R | X500T | D55 ]
    '10s:
    [ Jetstar | R30 | D55 ]

    My Reviews: GADsGuilds.com

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesickles View Post
    GAD, I have 8 of those knobs. Two are stripped though and move freely on the shaft. I don't think I will ever put them back on my Blues 90 or Bluesbird as they feel cheap compared to other options out there. Let me know if you are interested. I will have to go find them... I want to say one set is slightly yellowed and the other is clear.

    PM Sent - thanks!
    '70s: [ S70 | S300ADs ]
    '80s: [ X79-3 | X80s | X82 | X100 | X175 | S281 | BHM1 ]
    '80s: [ Detonator | Liberator + Elite | SF4 | AA ]
    '90s: [ S100 | X160 | X170 | X170T | SF3,5 | BB | NB | NB DX ]
    '90s: [ X2000 | X3000 | X4000s | DV72 | BHM1 | JF30-12 | Songbird ]
    '00s: [ SF3 | SF4 | B-90 | BB-90 | X160R | X500T | D55 ]
    '10s:
    [ Jetstar | R30 | D55 ]

    My Reviews: GADsGuilds.com

  6. #16
    Senior Member adorshki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sillycon Valley CA
    Posts
    26,558
    Quote Originally Posted by GAD View Post
    I think he means the old knobs were bakelite - not the ones on my guitar.
    Right.
    I was addressing this comment:
    "That was probably bakelite or similar though, before plastics "
    And probably should have bolded it to make that clear in my post.
    Suspect the modern stuff's polycarbonate plastic.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

  7. #17
    Senior Member S100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,072
    I must be one of the luckiest people on the planet because I had a Les Paul shipped in only the case with no packing material and it wasn’t in a box. Somehow, it made it unscathed.
    '73 S-100 Walnut
    '79 S-300 Ash
    '96 S-100 Black
    '96 S-100 Cherry
    '98 Jet-Star (DeArmond by Guild) Tyrian Purple

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •