Tom Shipley's 1969 F50 For Sale.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I am actually disappointed that Keith dyed his hair black for the current tour.

And once again, whenever I have the opportunity - let me plug the greatest rock autobiography ever written - "Life" by Keith Richards. So many stories, and laugh out loud funny throughout.

walrus

I just realized too, who'd-a thunk Keith was Grateful Dead fan, even sporting a skull ring.

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
And once again, whenever I have the opportunity - let me plug the greatest rock autobiography ever written - "Life" by Keith Richards. So many stories, and laugh out loud funny throughout.

walrus

I agree. A great read.

idealassets

Reaction score
I am actually disappointed that Keith dyed his hair black for the current tour.

walrus

That looks to be a perfect B&W photo of Kief getting that puff of smoke just right for that "action" photo. Meanwhile, yes, the skull ring; everyone might want one but certainly Kief already has one..

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Once you've made the kinda history Keef has, I'm willing to overlook a TON of stuff..... dye your hair, bleach your teef, whatever!! You can do what you want, you know?? Tom Shipley? Maybe not so much.......

I used to smoke. I used to drink, okay still do, I used to s....... you know how it goes!! :encouragement:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Once you've made the kinda history Keef has, I'm willing to overlook a TON of stuff..... dye your hair, bleach your teef, whatever!! You can do what you want, you know?? Tom Shipley? Maybe not so much.......

I used to smoke. I used to drink, okay still do, I used to s....... you know how it goes!! :encouragement:

+1. I just like the all natural Keith better!

Potential cover version of Shipley's song by Keith Richards:

"Several Thousand Tokes Over the Line".

walrus

idealassets

Reaction score
Hmmm.

Or this one ?:
SD_SD200710070301006AR.jpg

I suspect Jerry's F50, now, that'd be worth $10k plus.....
And Bobby's F50R Special with the oversized headstock as seen in the color pic and discussed here before??
Even more I'd bet....
I reviewed my festival express movie, and as per the entire movie, this image is from the free concert that the Dead gave at Coronation Park in Toronto, which was an early part of the concert series scheduled across Canada. Perhaps Jerry G. is playing John Dawson, Marmaduke's F50 Maple; which also appears in many other scenes throughout that movie.

The Dead are wearing the same clothes as in their paid concert that they played inside the stadium- earlier that day. What happened is that "kids" with no $14 tickets demanded to see the bands for free, and the Dead cooled down the fighting with 400 police officers by promising a free concert in this nearby park, and delivering on that promise. They did it on 2 semi truck flat beds that were brought in for that purpose.

Additionally according to Jerry Garcia's biography he recorded the actual lead guitar on the One Toke Over The Line song on pedal steel guitar, and did the same on the B side of that single, which was "Oh Mommy, (I Ain't No Commie)". This is not quite what the owner (or his agent) parlayed to me about Jerry Garcia playing this F50 (M) guitar that is for sale. So I am considering that their scenario is perhaps a little hazy with all that time that has elapsed since 1970?

Last edited:

idealassets

Reaction score
Not to be a pain, but its only the F50 that Janis is playing on the train that Hans confirmed was John Dawson's, not necessarily in this free concert image. Earlier it was speculated to me here http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?199936-Tom-Shipley-s-1969-F50-For-Sale/page4 (3rd post from the top) that this scene was not from The Festival Express concert, but was from a scene at Columbia University.

My speculation is that its from the free concert in Toronto, or else the Festival Express movie as released may have spliced a different scene into the movie, that was not actually from any of the Festival Express concerts?

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I reviewed my festival express movie, and as per the entire movie, this image is from the free concert that the Dead gave at Coronation Park in Toronto, which was an early part of the concert series scheduled across Canada. Perhaps Jerry G. is playing John Dawson, Marmaduke's F50 Maple; which also appears in many other scenes throughout that movie.The Dead are wearing the same clothes as in their paid concert that they played inside the stadium- earlier that day. What happened is that "kids" with no $14 tickets demanded to see the bands for free, and the Dead cooled down the fighting with 400 police officers by promising a free concert in this nearby park, and delivering on that promise. They did it on 2 semi truck flat beds that were brought in for that purpose.
Wonderful detective work, love to see hypotheses or guesses borne out with evidence.
My guess about a college show was based on remembering Ralf's prior mention of it but he cites a different image as Columbia in "the other thread".
If I'd actually seen the movie maybe I would have remembered the scene as being from it.
My speculation is that its from the free concert in Toronto, or else the Festival Express movie as released may have spliced a different scene into the movie, that was not actually from any of the Festival Express concerts?

Actually doubt that very much, don't think there was any real need for it.
Its Wiki page implies all the footage used was from the original footage shot in '70:
"The film combines live footage shot during the 1970 concerts, as well as footage aboard the train itself, interspersed with present-day interviews with tour participants sharing their often humorous recollections of the events."
Additionally according to Jerry Garcia's biography he recorded the actual lead guitar on the One Toke Over The Line song on pedal steel guitar, and did the same on the B side of that single, which was "Oh Mommy, (I Ain't No Commie)". This is not quite what the owner (or his agent) parlayed to me about Jerry Garcia playing this F50 (M) guitar that is for sale. So I am considering that their scenario is perhaps a little hazy with all that time that has elapsed since 1970?
Entirely possible and as Occam suggested , "The most logical explanation is the most likely explanation".
Bu to be fair to the seller it still doesn't rule out the possibility that Jerry actually played THAT F50 at some point.
It just seems kind of pointless to assert if it can't be proven since it creates skepticism due to the lack of proof...
Final note: I go that Ralf determined Jerry's playing Dawson's F50 in the concert shot because somehow he could see the two distinctive light dots on the pickguard, although I (and apparently) you can't.

idealassets

Reaction score
I was a bit of a Dead fan. Then I heard about this movie being undiscovered for 40 years and got a bit enthused about that. Couldn't believe it when one copy of it was there at Walmart for me to buy. I would not have watched it again except for looking for tell tale signs of what happened in what sequence, and what guitars were played.

Looking back $14 for a ticket to stand and watch a band in the 85 degree heat, and standing on an asphalt race track was something that I'm glad to have missed the opportunity for it. At the time we could see Bob Seeger, REO, or Ted Nugent for about $1.50 here locally. But consider that it was when Ted was actually very good, and hadn't become The Motor City Madman yet.

Its staggering to think that by 1970 the counterculture had produced its own aristocracy. Apparently the Dead were able to manage things so they didn't lose it all as many others managed to do.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Looking back $14 for a ticket to stand and watch a band in the 85 degree heat, and standing on an asphalt race track was something that I'm glad to have missed the opportunity for it. At the time we could see Bob Seeger, REO, or Ted Nugent for about $1.50 here locally. But consider that it was when Ted was actually very good, and hadn't become The Motor City Madman yet.
Its staggering to think that by 1970 the counterculture had produced its own aristocracy. Apparently the Dead were able to manage things so they didn't lose it all as many others managed to do.

I know Seger and the Nuge didn't really hit it big until later in the '70's but by golly both of 'em were solidly touring in the late '60's, just hadn't had the big hits yet.
I thought the Amboy Dukes were more of a one-hit '60's wonder and didn't realize he was still using the name as late as '73.
You can chalk up the Dead's seeming successful money management to their manager Rock Scully but for sure there was plenty of profligate spending going on for the necessities like equipment and dope.
Think what really "saved" 'em was that never-ending touring which was where bands made their real money in the day and still do according to some recent discussion.
This is a pretty good capsule history including the story of how Mickey Hart's daddy actually ripped 'em off for $150 grand as their manager in the late '60's.
They were still reeling from that on that '70 tour and "Truckin" had yet to become their first true hit, wasn't released until November.
https://www.grunge.com/119774/grateful-deads-tragic-real-life-story/
Another pertinent observation from that history:
"The Grateful Dead were undeniably popular, but they never enjoyed what you might call "mainstream success." The closest thing they ever came to a chart-topper was "Touch of Grey," a track they recorded in the mid-1980s. It made it as far as No. 9 on the Billboard charts. "Truckin," their second most successful song, only got as far as No. 64. The next two in line: "Uncle John's Band" (No. 69) followed by "Sugar Magnolia" at a lowly No. 91.
Rock radio was never too kind to them, either. These songs received fairly steady airtime following their releases, according to Billboard, but there was about a 15-year gap from 1972 to 1987 when the Dead's music was largely ignored on the dials."

Having said all that it's pretty impressive they DID manage to survive virtually entirely on word of mouth and live performing for their entire career.
:smile:

Last edited:

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
Rock radio was never too kind to them, either. These songs received fairly steady airtime following their releases, according to Billboard, but there was about a 15-year gap from 1972 to 1987 when the Dead's music was largely ignored on the dials."
Having said all that it's pretty impressive they DID manage to survive virtually entirely on word of mouth and live performing for their entire career.
:smile:
Back in the ‘70s we were lucky to have a radio station (KFMH-FM, Muscatine, IA) as an alternative to the typical force-feed stations. Their format was whatever the DJ wanted to play – many times entire albums. I eagerly waited for their weekly broadcast of The King Biscuit Flower Hour.

KFMH made many a Dead fan in our area. Ahhhh….take me back!