5 String Bi-Sonic

Llewellen

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with or know of a 5 string PU that approximates the sound of a Bi-Sonic? Curtis Novak doesn't/won't make one. I am aware of the Lakland Chi-Sonic. Any others?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Chi-Sonic Series pickups were inspired by the classic Swedish bass pickups built by Hagstrom in the 1960’s. Utilizing vintage spec’d larger diameter pole pieces, bobbin and coil designs, along with the power and compact size of neodymium magnets, the Chi-Sonics sound is one that is powerful, yet refined. It truly is a harmonious marriage of the vintage and modern sound. Chi-Sonics can also be built using Alnico V magnets as well, for those that prefer a more vintage inspired tone."

"Lakland’s Chi-Sonic Series 5-string “soapbar” single coil bass pickups are designed for high output with a wide frequency response. Chi-Sonics deliver deep lows and bright upper midrange response for a fatter, punchier tone with a smooth, natural high end reminiscent of the long discontinued Hagstrom BiSonic pickups from Sweden."

https://www.lakland.com/product/lakland-chi-sonic-5-string-bass-soapbar-single-coil-pickups-copy/

Ralf

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
There is also a NuSonic which was made by Henry Norton in the Uk I believe, for short period of time before Guild and Novak went into production w Bisonics. I believe he did have a 5-string Fender version

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
20-2013, 03:26 PM

henry norton
user-offline.png

UKPosts15

NuSonics are finished and ready for general release. It took a little longer than I thought ironing out some minor issues with the bobbins and mounting rings but I'm confident I've now got a pickup that looks just like a Bi Sonic but is a little more adaptable for pole spacing and number of strings!

For some reason I can't post pictures so here's the address to my website with pics and a soundfile link

http://lhnborn.com/page5.htm

As before, I'm always interested in feedback​

My Website - lhnborn.com
My Blogs - http://lhnborn.wordpress.com/

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
^^^that is from 6 years ago. the website is dead but he did make a 5-string

Llewellen

Reaction score
I don't know. The list of people who made or are making Bisonics is pretty small but you did miss https://www.daguetguitars.fr/en/boutique/pickups-and-parts-en/micro-basse-dagstar/#gallery-5 I know nothing about them other than they exist - never played one or talked to an owner, but you can certainly ask if they could/would make a 5 string version.

Thanks for the tip and the link. I did miss that. I will contact and see if they can do a 5 string version. If so, I will report back here.

Llewellen

Reaction score
Hagstrom made a six-string version, but I've never seen a 5-er.

Thanks. Maybe one of the PU gurus can chime in here but it may be that the 6-string version has enough overall pole spacing to work for a 5 string. I'll keep an eye out on ebay and Reverb to see if anything becomes available.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Thanks. Maybe one of the PU gurus can chime in here but it may be that the 6-string version has enough overall pole spacing to work for a 5 string. I'll keep an eye out on ebay and Reverb to see if anything becomes available.

Not to be a Debbie-downer, but I've been scouring Hagstrom ads on ebay for over 13 years and so far have only ever come across 3 or 4 original 4-pole Bisonics (not all in working order). I've never seen one of those Hagstrom BassVI models for sale and I wager finding one of those pickups loose would be a one in million chance. That said, I have read those were extremely limited production back in the day. I would assume that the chrome surrounds and bobbins are the exact same dimensions, just fitted with 6 poles instead of 4. Bass VI guitars in general have very narrow guitar-like spacing and were probably originally designed with a plectrum in mind.

I seem to remember Curtis Novak talking about already being in the process of developing 5-string Bisonics a few years back... pretty sure Fred Hammon spoke of a 5-string Dark Star concept too though, so I may be confusing the two. In any case, you should email Curtis, he's a very friendly and responsive guy. Good luck!

Llewellen

Reaction score
Not to be a Debbie-downer, but I've been scouring Hagstrom ads on ebay for over 13 years and so far have only ever come across 3 or 4 original 4-pole Bisonics (not all in working order). I've never seen one of those Hagstrom BassVI models for sale and I wager finding one of those pickups loose would be a one in million chance. That said, I have read those were extremely limited production back in the day. I would assume that the chrome surrounds and bobbins are the exact same dimensions, just fitted with 6 poles instead of 4. Bass VI guitars in general have very narrow guitar-like spacing and were probably originally designed with a plectrum in mind.

I seem to remember Curtis Novak talking about already being in the process of developing 5-string Bisonics a few years back... pretty sure Fred Hammon spoke of a 5-string Dark Star concept too though, so I may be confusing the two. In any case, you should email Curtis, he's a very friendly and responsive guy. Good luck!

Thanks "Debbie" :) I did contact Novak and he replied "Nope".

If the chrome surrounds are indeed the same size, it appears that there would be enough width for 5 poles at a spacing of 16-17mm (which suits my playing style). I suppose that the potential market would be just so tiny that it wouldn't be worth anyone's time and effort to modify for a 5 string. Too bad, I love the PUs.

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I’ve got a Hagstrom Coronado VI. It’s one of two I’ve ever seen. I was about to buy the first out of Germany, and the second showed up in San Francisco. I’ll send Frono a picture and he can post it.

Llewellen

Reaction score
I don't know. The list of people who made or are making Bisonics is pretty small but you did miss https://www.daguetguitars.fr/en/boutique/pickups-and-parts-en/micro-basse-dagstar/#gallery-5 I know nothing about them other than they exist - never played one or talked to an owner, but you can certainly ask if they could/would make a 5 string version.

I received a reply from Roger (Daguet Guitars) and indeed he will make a 5 string version. Just waiting to hear back from him about pricing.

Llewellen

Reaction score
I received this further reply from Roger Daguet.

"d*oes your guild fitted with originals bisonics or fred hammon reissues? if yours are the chinese reissue, you are quite far from the original"

I have the Newark Street reissue Starfire II so this is an interesting (if disconcerting) comment from Roger. Any feedback from forum members?

Still no word on pricing so I'm assuming it will be around the price for 4 string (he makes them all to order) at Euro 255 each. Ouch!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I received this further reply from Roger Daguet.

"d*oes your guild fitted with originals bisonics or fred hammon reissues? if yours are the chinese reissue, you are quite far from the original"

I have the Newark Street reissue Starfire II so this is an interesting (if disconcerting) comment from Roger. Any feedback from forum members?
Judging by the awkward translation, I think it's possible he's just trying to warn you the re-issues aren't exactly the same as the original basses, is all.
Maybe he just wants to be sure you know what you're getting into?

Llewellen

Reaction score
I just received confirmation from Roger Daguet: Eur 255 each plus shipping (same as his price for the 4 string version).