Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5 String Bi-Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesota Flats View Post
    Hagstrom made a six-string version, but I've never seen a 5-er.

Thanks. Maybe one of the PU gurus can chime in here but it may be that the 6-string version has enough overall pole spacing to work for a 5 string. I'll keep an eye out on ebay and Reverb to see if anything becomes available.
    "To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable" - attributed to Ludwig von Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Llewellen View Post
    Thanks. Maybe one of the PU gurus can chime in here but it may be that the 6-string version has enough overall pole spacing to work for a 5 string. I'll keep an eye out on ebay and Reverb to see if anything becomes available.
    Not to be a Debbie-downer, but I've been scouring Hagstrom ads on ebay for over 13 years and so far have only ever come across 3 or 4 original 4-pole Bisonics (not all in working order). I've never seen one of those Hagstrom BassVI models for sale and I wager finding one of those pickups loose would be a one in million chance. That said, I have read those were extremely limited production back in the day. I would assume that the chrome surrounds and bobbins are the exact same dimensions, just fitted with 6 poles instead of 4. Bass VI guitars in general have very narrow guitar-like spacing and were probably originally designed with a plectrum in mind.

I seem to remember Curtis Novak talking about already being in the process of developing 5-string Bisonics a few years back... pretty sure Fred Hammon spoke of a 5-string Dark Star concept too though, so I may be confusing the two. In any case, you should email Curtis, he's a very friendly and responsive guy. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mellowgerman View Post
    Not to be a Debbie-downer, but I've been scouring Hagstrom ads on ebay for over 13 years and so far have only ever come across 3 or 4 original 4-pole Bisonics (not all in working order). I've never seen one of those Hagstrom BassVI models for sale and I wager finding one of those pickups loose would be a one in million chance. That said, I have read those were extremely limited production back in the day. I would assume that the chrome surrounds and bobbins are the exact same dimensions, just fitted with 6 poles instead of 4. Bass VI guitars in general have very narrow guitar-like spacing and were probably originally designed with a plectrum in mind.

I seem to remember Curtis Novak talking about already being in the process of developing 5-string Bisonics a few years back... pretty sure Fred Hammon spoke of a 5-string Dark Star concept too though, so I may be confusing the two. In any case, you should email Curtis, he's a very friendly and responsive guy. Good luck!
    Thanks "Debbie" :) I did contact Novak and he replied "Nope".

If the chrome surrounds are indeed the same size, it appears that there would be enough width for 5 poles at a spacing of 16-17mm (which suits my playing style). I suppose that the potential market would be just so tiny that it wouldn't be worth anyone's time and effort to modify for a 5 string. Too bad, I love the PUs.
    "To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable" - attributed to Ludwig von Beethoven

I’ve got a Hagstrom Coronado VI. It’s one of two I’ve ever seen. I was about to buy the first out of Germany, and the second showed up in San Francisco. I’ll send Frono a picture and he can post it.
    13 Guild basses
    3 Guild guitars
    6 Guild bass amps
    3 Guild guitar amps
    I like Guilds.

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    I don't know. The list of people who made or are making Bisonics is pretty small but you did miss https://www.daguetguitars.fr/en/bout...tar/#gallery-5 I know nothing about them other than they exist - never played one or talked to an owner, but you can certainly ask if they could/would make a 5 string version.
    I received a reply from Roger (Daguet Guitars) and indeed he will make a 5 string version. Just waiting to hear back from him about pricing.

I received a reply from Roger (Daguet Guitars) and indeed he will make a 5 string version. Just waiting to hear back from him about pricing.
    Keep posting, i might be in for another pair.

I received this further reply from Roger Daguet.

"d*oes your guild fitted with originals bisonics or fred hammon reissues? if yours are the chinese reissue, you are quite far from the original"

I have the Newark Street reissue Starfire II so this is an interesting (if disconcerting) comment from Roger. Any feedback from forum members?

Still no word on pricing so I'm assuming it will be around the price for 4 string (he makes them all to order) at Euro 255 each. Ouch!

I received this further reply from Roger Daguet.

"d*oes your guild fitted with originals bisonics or fred hammon reissues? if yours are the chinese reissue, you are quite far from the original"

I have the Newark Street reissue Starfire II so this is an interesting (if disconcerting) comment from Roger. Any feedback from forum members?
    Judging by the awkward translation, I think it's possible he's just trying to warn you the re-issues aren't exactly the same as the original basses, is all.
    Maybe he just wants to be sure you know what you're getting into?
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Euro 255 each.
    The Chi-Sonics are half that at EUR 250 the pair. http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sho...=1#post1851440
    Ralf

I just received confirmation from Roger Daguet: Eur 255 each plus shipping (same as his price for the 4 string version).