Strange Starfire V serial number

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Maybe Hans has the back story on this one and what year this happened. It has a Starfire II/III serial number (also stamped on the headstock), but it's clearly an SF V (block inlays, MV, Bigsby, roller bridge).

AG%20SF5.jpg

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It’s from the post ‘97 Westerly period for which only Hans has correct info.

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I searched the archives and could not find anything about SF V's with strange serial numbers. I found posts about a SF4 with an SF5 number, a SF3 with an SF4 and duplicate serial numbers for X-500s from 1988 that were re-used in 1993. I guess this one just adds to the "mistakes" made at Westerly.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I searched the archives and could not find anything about SF V's with strange serial numbers. I found posts about a SF4 with an SF5 number, a SF3 with an SF4 and duplicate serial numbers for X-500s from 1988 that were re-used in 1993. I guess this one just adds to the "mistakes" made at Westerly.

Maybe PM Hans or contact him through his website? I know we have seen cases where an instrument was partially finished, sat in storage, was finished but to newer or different specs and so the dates, serial and "as built don't match. This sounds to me like one of those.