Music from 50 years ago getting even better with time...

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2oJIBQKlnw

Cool video with freakish Reverbarations gone wrong, which get a smile from Fogerty, it would seem then it is certainly not lip synched.

Amazing song, always knew the riff, but the chord stuff is what gets me going know, so listening to it completely differently. I can see I have a lot to learn from these guys, and of course I have quite a few of their albums so I could have done this at any time, but never really listened to them. Or so long ago that I forgot how good they were.

This just out;

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/02/7449...-river-at-50-our-essential-guide-to-early-ccr

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2oJIBQKlnw

Cool video with freakish Reverbarations gone wrong, which get a smile from Fogerty, it would seem then it is certainly not lip synched.

Amazing song, always knew the riff, but the chord stuff is what gets me going know, so listening to it completely differently. I can see I have a lot to learn from these guys, and of course I have quite a few of their albums so I could have done this at any time, but never really listened to them. Or so long ago that I forgot how good they were.

This just out;

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/02/7449...-river-at-50-our-essential-guide-to-early-ccr

Stu Cook, however, held an opposing view, saying "The performances are classic CCR and I'm still amazed by the number of people who don't even know we were one of the headliners at Woodstock '69."[19] John Fogerty later complained the previous band, the Grateful Dead, put the audience to sleep; as John scanned the audience he saw a "Dante scene, just bodies from hell, all intertwined and asleep, covered with mud."[16]

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Did I catch fleeting glimpses of a Guild headstock with peaked GUILD and G-shield @ 42s, 46s, and 2:12 (behind and left of Fogarty)?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Did I catch fleeting glimpses of a Guild headstock with peaked GUILD and G-shield @ 42s, 46s, and 2:12 (behind and left of Fogarty)?
Without even watching the vid I'm sure you did, brother Tom's been cited around here several times for that SF-V (?)***, in fact a couple of 'em even, "IIRC".
:smile:
See also post #62 (last one) in the "Woodstock 50 denied again" thread for a link to their Woodstock set with some clearer sightings.
Oh WTH< here it is:
Didja catch the Starfire shots?
(headstock at 8:50 and full band at 11:12, but ok, I admit, I knew to look for it.
SF-V "IIRC", due to G-shield.)
OK just watched the Andy Williams vid.
I believe I still have that 45.
:smile:

****OK, got lucky with a quick search answer on what it actually is:
Ralf has ID'd 'em as SF-VI's, here:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?173020-Guild-ID-help-needed&highlight=fogerty
and here's a shot of his "white" one:
Tom Fogerty not only had this black (or dark colored) Starfire VI, he also had a white (?) one.
Again a Starfire VI with tailpiece (golden hardware as it looks, block inlays, G shield headstock):

0.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

You certainly do . . .

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
the thing i liked about CCR:

1. i did not know much about them till i was in college and a friend had the greatest hits album.
2. john's voice, just very cool sounding
3. so authentic in representing a part of the country there were not even from. it was only recently that i learned they were not from louisiana :)
4. guitar tone
5. bass and drum playing really great
6. they were the antithesis to san francisco drug and music scene, anti-psychodelia music, which must have been quite refreshing to witness

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
When I first heard them on the radio, I wondered why my rock and roll station was playing country music. Apparently they were all the rage in San Francisco during their heyday.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
John Fogerty later complained the previous band, the Grateful Dead, put the audience to sleep

I love this quote! No offense to any Deadheads, I know a lot of people love them. But I saw the Dead once in the early '80's, and I felt the same as Fogerty! Either they are just not my thing, or I did not take enough drugs to appreciate them...

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
As a local boy who was here listening, in their target demographic "while it was happening":
6. they were the antithesis to san francisco drug and music scene, anti-psychodelia music, which must have been quite refreshing to witness
Not exactly.
The long version of "Suzie Q" was right at home in the Fillmore, as laden with swamp moss as the basic riff was...it was in rotation on FM right in there with the other psychedelic stuff.
"'Suzie Q' was designed to fit right in," he explained. "The eight-minute opus. Feedback. Like [the Paul Butterfield Blues Band's] "East-West". And especially the little effect, the little telephone-box [vocal] in the middle, which is the only part I regret now. It's just funny sounding. But, lo and behold, it worked!" Fogerty elaborated to Larry King in 1999, "We recorded an old Dale Hawkins song but I psychedelicized it to get it played on the local San Francisco underground radio station."
But yeah they didn't "preach consumption" like some of the other bands.
When I first heard them on the radio, I wondered why my rock and roll station was playing country music. Apparently they were all the rage in San Francisco during their heyday.
Not exactly, even though they did come from the Bay Area, but they were much bigger nationally, probably because of that "countrified" sound.
Ike & Tina's cover of "Proud Mary " in the Woodstock movie did a lot for 'em.
THAT's when they started getting dates on the prime time variety shows.
A good case could probably be made for their being the prototypical "southern rock" band, though.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
CCR had a unique sound for a late '60s rock & roll band, and John Fogerty went on a run where he could do no wrong as a songwriter. As a kid, in between long stretches of my preferred Motown music I would tune in WABX (free-form R&R with some out-there jazz mixed in) on the radio and I'd hear 'em. Then I'd switch over to CKLW (Top 40) and I'd hear 'em there too. Songs like Proud Mary were too good not to play…and like.

-Dave-

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My first amp was a Kustom tuck ‘n roll because, CCR. Also, first LP I ever bought was Green River. Still a great record.

dougdnh

Reaction score
One of the few bands that have stood the test of time - just good old rock and roll - no gimmicks. I don't remember Fogerty playng a Ric, but he has a nice collection of guitars. When we did a CCR tune, nearly everyone would get on the dance floor. In retrospect, Fogerty was the whole show. I understand that there's a lot of bad blood between Fogerty and his brother.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I remember being as hooked to CCR as much as I was to Canned Heat (Boogie with Canned Heat), Hendrix (experienced), Grand Funk (Survival), Beatles (All), Stones (all) Santana (Abraxas), Steppenwolf, Pink Floyd (piper at the gates/saucerful), Moody Blues, The Who, and others...

This is on a stacker turntable with the speakers in the lid...

Last edited:

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
So, I'm late to the party again, as usual. . . .

I wanted to pop these photos in of a song book I've had...for as long as I can remember. . .

8RVaOUu.jpg
[
IcfAkss.jpg
[/
Y3Mxi2Z.jpg
[

/IMG]IMG]/IMG]

CCR, was hands down, my favorite band from the late sixties and early seventies.

JF-30

Reaction score
I love this quote! No offense to any Deadheads, I know a lot of people love them. But I saw the Dead once in the early '80's, and I felt the same as Fogerty! Either they are just not my thing, or I did not take enough drugs to appreciate them...

walrus
I've seen the Dead with Jerry, the real Dead not the JM trash being trouped around now to still cash in on a name. I was never high on anything at any of the Dead shows I went to. Of the 13 times I saw them maybe 2 shows were not that good and the rest were Dead-esque. Maybe you saw them on a bad night or like you said not your thing.

CCR were great. They were retro before retro was cool.

dbirchett

Reaction score

1. i did not know much about them till i was in college and a friend had the greatest hits album.
2. john's voice, just very cool sounding
3. so authentic in representing a part of the country there were not even from. it was only recently that i learned they were not from louisiana :)
4. guitar tone
5. bass and drum playing really great

Concerning #3: John was hanging around Tony Joe White one day when someone referred to CCR's music as being "Swamp Rock." Tony just turned to Fogerty and said, "Get many 'gators up there in Oakland, John?"

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Concerning #3: John was hanging around Tony Joe White one day when someone referred to CCR's music as being "Swamp Rock." Tony just turned to Fogerty and said, "Get many 'gators up there in Oakland, John?"

LOL
that is a good one. he was dogging John as possible being unauthentic and i get that. but their music sure sounded authentic to me. my guess is that band just loved the swamp rock sound, loved the bayou country.