Firebird X's Being Run Over By An Excavator

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
WTF? That makes me angry. They could have done so much good giving them away.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
OMG. WTF was that all about?! I have to admit, as incredibly painful as that was to watch, I couldn't turn it off.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Something's going on there.
I can't believe Gibson themselves would do this to perfectly viable product.
If charitable donation wasn't viable then I'm sure they'd be right up MIRC's alley just like all the Guilds Fender liquidated through 'em.
Either way they at least cut their losses.
They are either counterfeits or seized guitars as a few commenters on the video suspected.
If they were seized for illegal wood, they can't legally be put into circulation even as donations, and the government isn't in the parting-out business.
If they were counterfeits there's probably a similar issue at work protecting the copyright holder's interests.
Whoever posted it to Youtube's obviously trolling by not revealing the context.
Or maybe they just think the shock value's worthy enough regardless of context.

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
JUST PLAIN STUPID !!!

I understand, that some models are mistakes - but they could be given away or parts taken out.
Or Whatever.
But to destroy them in such way - first arrange them neatly in rows and then running over them with less than most efficient unit - a steel-wheeled tractor would have them destoyed more efficiently.

Big companies do that kind things - like Dylan singing - Slow Train - " . . . People starving and thirsting, grain elevators are bursting - Oh, you know it costs more to store the food than it do to give it "

Just plain SICK !!! - where is the "womit"-button ?

EDIT - yes - it could well be counterfeit guitars - but still - that whole arrangement is disgusting - why is it so, that after confiscating, the headstock markings could be sanded plus branded wit a marking that reveals what they are - and then giving them to charity.

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score
I can't believe Gibson themselves would do this to perfectly viable product.
If charitable donation wasn't viable then I'm sure they'd be right up MIRC's alley just like all the Guilds Fender liquidated through 'em.
Either way they at least cut their losses.
They are either counterfeits or seized guitars as a few commenters on the video suspected.
If they were seized for illegal wood, they can't legally be put into circulation even as donations, and the government isn't in the parting-out business.
If they were counterfeits there's probably a similar issue at work protecting the copyright holder's interests.

Nobody and I mean nobody would counterfeit a Firebird X. They were the laughing stock when they were released.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I saw a reply by the OP (to YouTube) that he didn’t know what was going on.
Of course, it’d be nice to know where they got the video in the first place.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
wow i knew Gibson had really been crushing it in the guitar market recently, but this is some next level sheeaht. any survivors? the vid will go viral and they would be in demand

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
From the ridiculous to the sublime... On a much smaller scale, some serious fun was had with MIC Ovations at the OFC in New Hartford a few years before we arrived. If you haven't watched this series of vids, prepare to laugh your patootie off:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Nobody and I mean nobody would counterfeit a Firebird X. They were the laughing stock when they were released.

Yeah I noted a couple of those comments, which makes me suspect they actually are seized guitars.
OK not knowing a thing about 'em I did some googling and came across this thread alleging Gibson bought 'em back, way back in '12.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/gibson-firebird-x-buyback.1094723/
Admittedly I didn't read all 9 pages (I only do that here), but: weirder and weirder.
Maybe they were trounced by NS Thunderbirds in the retro-ugly contest?***
:glee:
Now I'd be willing to believe that is actually Gibson destroying perfectly good product for reasons which boggle my mind except that somehow on the books they can show it's the least loss on their investment in time and materials.
A "write-off".
Maybe they had to be able to prove to auditors it was actually done?

*** kidding aside I like Thunderbirds and those Explorers were alright too, but then, I've never actually tried to play one.
If they turned out to be ergonomically dysfunctional I wouldn't care how good they looked or sounded.

Last edited:

DThomasC

Reaction score
The video was posted by YouTube member BJ's World. In the comments to another video he claims to have worked at the Memphis factory until it was torn down.

Bottom line, we live in a capitalistic society where bottom line is most important. (I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just reminding that it is a thing.) The people that went to school for economics probably determined that destroying the instruments was better for their bank balance than other options. Such is the cost of capitalism.

Last edited: