It's that time of year again.......USS Indianapolis (CA-35) still at sea

CA-35

Reaction score
Well folks it's that time of year again. I will keep it short and sweet.

Tonight at 12:15AM, July the 30th, will mark the 74th year since the greatest US Naval sea disaster in history occurred: The sinking of the heavy cruiser U.S.S. Indianapolis (CA-35). Loaded with a compliment of 1197 men, five days after the sinking only 321 were rescued, two died on shore leaving the final Survivors list at 319.

I spent 3 days with 104 of the Survivors at their reunion in 1999, sadly there are only 14 still alive today. It was the most humbling 3 days of my 59 years on this rock.

It was and still is the greatest feat of human endurance ever recorded on the face of the earth......jump in the ocean tonight at 12:15 naked and covered with fuel oil, and in most cases with lacerations, burns, and broken bones, and float with a life preserver that is only buoyant for two days, and try to stay alive until Friday with no food or water. And don't forget the sharks.

U.S.S. Indianapolis (CA-35) still at sea............rest in peace my brothers.

USS_Indianapolis_%28CA-35%29_underway_at_sea_on_27_September_1939_%2880-G-425615%29.jpg

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score
I did 4 in the USN and 19 in the USCG. RIP

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Very humbling and a constant reminder of my blessings. Guitars are a far second.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
the Jaws scene where Dryfess and Quint are sharing scar stories, Quint is talking bout the Indianappolis right? I think I am remembering that correctly. the sharks. just a harrowing tale.

https://youtu.be/u9S41Kplsbs

CA-35

Reaction score
the Jaws scene where Dryfess and Quint are sharing scar stories, Quint is talking bout the Indianappolis right? I think I am remembering that correctly. the sharks. just a harrowing tale.

https://youtu.be/u9S41Kplsbs

You are absolutely correct Wood. I read somewhere that Robert Shaw (Quint) ad libbed that scene because he had a friend who was a survivor.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You are absolutely correct Wood. I read somewhere that Robert Shaw (Quint) ad libbed that scene because he had a friend who was a survivor.

he does say they did not report the ship missing for a week. is that true? maybe i misheard the video. Shaw was an amazing actor, and there are some interesting stories of him during the filming of that movie.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
just read the wiki on the USS Indy. sank to a depth of 18k feet below. reported missing 4 days after sinking. patrol ships nearby spotted sailors in water, that is how they found out.

CA-35

Reaction score
just read the wiki on the USS Indy. sank to a depth of 18k feet below. reported missing 4 days after sinking. patrol ships nearby spotted sailors in water, that is how they found out.

Don't believe everything you read on Wiki..........................

It did sink to 18,000 feet but it was NEVER reported overdue. There was a standing rule that arrivals of combatant warships was not to be reported. When the Indy never showed up the next day at Leyte the Port Director figured if you don't report arrivals then you don't report non-arrivals either....a rule that has since been changed due to the circumstances of the Indy's demise.

A 26 year old Lt. named Wilbur "Chuck" Gwinn flying a Lockheed Ventura PV-1 "Miss Deal" ON ROUTINE SUBMARINE PATROL spotted an oil slick and commenced a dive thinking it was oil trailing from a Japanese submarine. At about 600 feet he spotted the men's oil soaked heads, closed his bomb bay doors and radioed in the location. This was about 11:00 AM on Thursday morning, the 4th agonizing day in the water for the men. The first rescue ship did not arrive until past midnight and the last two survivors Giles G. McCoy and Felton J. Outland were plucked from the sea on Friday at 4 PM.

JF-30

Reaction score
The Indy and Forestall will always be remembered.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
The on-board films on the USS Forrestal were used as firefighting training videos for us in the Navy in the early 70's.