Before there was Woodstock...

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Atlantic City Pop Festival was about two weeks before (the original) Woodstock and featured many of the same acts.

Article at https://www.inquirer.com/entertainm...versary-woodstock-joni-mitchell-20190728.html

I saw it posted on Facebook by our mgod who has roots in New Jersey.

Of interest to people here:

Joni Mitchell left the stage in tears, which is certainly a story.

If you scroll through the pictures there is someone playing a Guild 12 with double pickguards. I leave it to someone else to extract the picture and/or identify the artist and model.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I think that photo is Tim Buckley with a Guild...

Interesting article!

walrus

dougdnh

Reaction score
I used to live less an hour from there, and don't even remember it happening. I do remember going to Atlantic City's steel pier where you paid a very reasonable admission fee and saw acts like John Fred Playboy band, Bill Black's Combo, the Angels, and Totie Fields. Now long forgotten 60's acts. And of course the famous diving horse.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I used to live less an hour from there, and don't even remember it happening. I do remember going to Atlantic City's steel pier where you paid a very reasonable admission fee and saw acts like John Fred Playboy band, Bill Black's Combo, the Angels, and Totie Fields. Now long forgotten 60's acts. And of course the famous diving horse.

NOT John Fred:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Biu95fyvmLI

"FWIW" there were also 2 Miami Pop Festivals and of course "Monterey Pop" before Woodstock.
In fact Woodstock prime mover Michael Lang cut his teeth on the Miami Pop Festival(s).
Which might also be where Zappa ACTUALLY acquired the notorious burnt Hendrix Stratocaster.
And was also city in which Hendrix is known to have played a Starfire, reportedly at an impromptu jam at the Castaways Hotel's Wreck Bar after a rained-out show, which may also have yielded the inspiration for "Rainy Day Dream Away":
http://crosstowntorrents.org/archive/index.php/t-4473.html
You know how mythology is, but I'm satisfied there was actually a jam at the Wreck Bar and he did play a Starfire there.

jimi-hendrix-and-castaways.jpg

d69a92803afa097b95ed9175d1acf3e5.jpg

(location uncertain for that shot)

Previous discussion:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...Jimi-Hendrix-used-a-Satrfire-one-night-anyway

I think that photo is Tim Buckley with a Guild...

Interesting article!

walrus

Yep, with an F512 (he had several Guild 12's ), and "yep".

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I'd completely forgotten about this. The week before the A.C. festival my Aunt Anna & I attended a family gathering/reunion in Atlantic City, with relatives flying in from all over the country and from Canada too. All Scots immigrants except for a handful or two of young natives (I was 9) like myself. One of my New Jersey cousins told me about the festival and mentioned various acts who were scheduled to perform, none of whose names I remember except for Little Richard. :) (I was a Motown/R&B kid.) My cousin and his girlfriend had tickets. No idea if he enjoyed it or not…it was the only time we ever met.

-Dave-

matsickma

Reaction score
Went to a 11 grade AC class trip late spring '71. Saw an add for a show at Steel Peer on Saturday but decided against seeing it as I wasn't a fan of Donny and the Allman Brothers band!!!!😨

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Reading about what is or isn't Woodstock 50 today, and this came to mind, chaos.

50 years ago it was too, but it still happened. Now, it seems like there's more chaos, nevermind it would probably turn into something like Gilroy...

We've got to fix ourselves.

Fantastic story and article, I never knew.

“We are stardust. We are golden. And we’ve got to get ourselves back to the garden.”

Last edited:

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for sharing, Frono. I so badly want to hear this Airplane set after they claim it was better than their set at Woodstock (though that one wasn't perfect, it sure packed a punch!) Wonder if a recording exists. Also, who knows, maybe I already have it in my disorganized vault... tons of mis-labeled, mis-dated stuff in there

JF-30

Reaction score
I think I remember reading Grace saying she was so high on LSD she does not even remember being on stage at Woodstock.