Ngd - jv-72

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I recently purchased Glenn’s (a/k/a wileypickett) JV72, which has quite a history (see link below).

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...72-Pics-finally-and-long-story&highlight=JV72

My wife and I met Glenn and his wife in Cambridge MA so I could try it out in person, and also to pick up a 1972 F50 SB that Glenn purchased on my behalf from a local Craigslist seller. We had a great time discussing our respective histories with, and connections to, Guild guitars.

Glenn did such an amazing job restoring this guitar that it only needed a slight truss rod adjustment.

The guitar sounds amazing. It has real depth to its tone and the neck feels fantastic.

Anyway, pics to follow.

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
ZxMM8Ht.jpg

GN7ROJb.jpg

qMsTDhX.jpg

zTvgZHg.jpg

Sh18DzP.jpg

vQ0uA06.jpg

NdQ2W0T.jpg

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Time to ditch the treadmill to make room for more beauties. This is one killer guitar!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I remember the delivery horror story and the following miracle and all Glenn went through to get this one. A very rare and beautiful guitar and I'm glad it's found a good home!! Congrats!! Turquoise is your color this weekend!! :encouragement:

wileypickett

Reaction score
It was a struggle to decide whether or not to let this one go, but Andrew made me an offer I couldn't refuse. (Actually his offer was more than I was comfortable accepting, given all the hell this poor guitar went through, and I talked him down.)

Ten minutes after meeting him, though, I knew it was going to the right guy.

Our house flooded last year and Nora and I had to have all our floors replaced, which meant moving, literally, every single thing we own. Nora and I still haven't recovered from the discombobulation this caused us -- lots of stuff still piled up in boxes -- but the experience has got me rethinking the wisdom of keeping an absurd number of guitars around. (There are at least 60 here, most of them Guilds.)

Andrew came along with his offer just as I was coming to grips with the idea that maybe it was time to thin the herd.

If anyone else in LTG-land is looking to add to their collection, PM me with what you're after and I'll let you know if I can "help"! (Helping you helps me!)

This was a really hard one to say goodbye to though -- take good care of it Andrew, and congrats!

Glenn

Last edited:

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Andrew made me an offer I couldn't refuse. (Actually his offer was more than I was comfortable accepting, given all the hell this poor guitar went through, and I talked him down.)

It was a very difficult negotiation. I was ready to walk, but I finally caved and agreed to pay less than my initial offer.

Seriously, the context is that I had been negotiating with another JV72 owner, who wanted a ridiculous amount for his guitar (at least in my view). I had offered him $3,200, which I thought was fair (the guitar was in very good, but not pristine condition), but he would not budge, which was his right, as it was mine to wish him good luck and move on.

When Glenn mentioned that he might be willing to part with his JV72, I made him the same offer (I really wanted a JV72), but because it had more significant condition issues, he discounted the price accordingly.

Glenn is a real "mensch."

bobouz

Reaction score
That is a true beauty! I much prefer the jumbo body shape, so this one pushes a lot of my buttons.

It always amazes me how much room guitars take when you put them all out. I currently have 31 guitars & 2 mandolins tucked away in stairwells, closets, and under beds in order to leave a small footprint in our rather small house. Put them all on display, and my wife would quickly be on her way to see a lawyer!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
ZxMM8Ht.jpg

Wow, that is one collection! Best wishes with the new addition.

idealassets

Reaction score
Did it come with a super cool case? PS I owned and sold a 1974 F50 that mysteriously had the exact same tuning keys and exact same arrangement of gold housings and chrome tuning keys. Are they hybrid Grover Imperial's? I wondered about that, but ultimately had to sell that guitar.

No problem because I can only own so many acoustics, electrics, and neat old drums and cymbals.. (Pity the guy that wants to begin collecting vintage drums today, just try to go buy a 1960's "Ringo" finish set of Ludwig drums, and other such things. The sticker prices are alarmingly high )

What year was this guitar produced?

Last edited:

wileypickett

Reaction score
I sold it to Andrew in a non-original hardshell Guild case. You may recall from the original posting that the nut I got this from shipped it in a gig-bag.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Congrats awagner and wiley... Always great when these things turn out so well.

Awagner, would love to hear your impressions of the JV-72 vs, say an F-50R.