Thief!

DThomasC

Reaction score
I don't mind animals eating my garbage, but bears and raccoons both piss me off because they don't just eat what they want, they spread the trash out like a buffet. Sometimes I think they go to extra trouble to make a mess.

Nuuska, black bears are very territorial, meaning they don't like to share with other bears. This includes their own offspring; when the young ones are big enough to go out on their own, their parents kick them out and they have to go find new territory. Consequently, there are frequently 'new' bears on the move looking for a place to call home. It's not uncommon around here to see a young adult walking along a suburban street. Leave it alone, just passing through.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Nuuska, black bears are very territorial, meaning they don't like to share with other bears. This includes their own offspring; when the young ones are big enough to go out on their own, their parents kick them out and they have to go find new territory. Consequently, there are frequently 'new' bears on the move looking for a place to call home. It's not uncommon around here to see a young adult walking along a suburban street. Leave it alone, just passing through.

Yeah my knowledge comes from Animal Planet / National Geographic Channel documentaries, and supposedly bears are also very sensitive to human noise, as in they DON'T like it and so normally avoid contact.
Obviously the availability of easy pickings with little to no negative consequences "acclimatizes" 'em to semi-urban environments though.
In my teens a buddy and I used to hike extensively in the local mountains where bears are known to exist but in all our travels never stumbled across one, only the evidence of passing.
But I don't think I'd go chasing one in the dark with a flashlight for sake of pics, though!
:eek-new:

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
But I don't think I'd go chasing one in the dark with a flashlight for sake of pics, though!
:eek-new:

The pics that make people go "ooh!" generally involve some sort of sacrifice, be it money, sanity, or personal safety. Sometimes it's all three. :smile-new:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Black bears are a problem this year in Yellowstone: The NPS has killed two habituated bears and is trying to capture a third: https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/19030-1.htm?

Growing up in Sacramento, we used to camp in the canvas tent cabins at Yosemite. One morning while mom was frying up bacon for breakfast a black bear starting snorfing around the door, looking for breakfast too.

We bailed out and let the bear enjoy breakfast unmolested.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The pics that make people go "ooh!" generally involve some sort of sacrifice, be it money, sanity, or personal safety. Sometimes it's all three. :smile-new:

It's a tough job but I'm glad somebody else'd rather do it.
:glee: