New D-55

Reaction score
Anyone have one of the new California-made D-55s. I’d have to travel about 4 hours to play one in person. I’ve been a Martin / Taylor fan traditionally, especially Martin. The guild has a very distinct sound though that I find very appealing. I’ve watched several reviews online.

Anyone have one and what are your thoughts regarding build quality, tone, etc? Thanks all. Great forum.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I can't answer your question, Wildwood, but welcome to LTG!

walrus

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Anyone have one of the new California-made D-55s. I’d have to travel about 4 hours to play one in person. I’ve been a Martin / Taylor fan traditionally, especially Martin. The guild has a very distinct sound though that I find very appealing. I’ve watched several reviews online.

Anyone have one and what are your thoughts regarding build quality, tone, etc? Thanks all. Great forum.

First off let me say Welcome to LTG as I see this is your first post! I played one a year ago at my local Mom and Pop shop and was not impressed with it. It was Tinny sounding at best. However that may have been an Isolated incident as I have heard a few in the last year that sound good. These Oxnard made models are made spec'ed for Light Strings where as the previous New Hartford versions were built for Mediums. I compared it with my New Hartford model and the Oxnard model just wasn't to my liking, Not saying that it won't be to yours.

There were also some QC issues like the nitro finish on the Fretboard extension edge to Guitar Top area was checked all the way down from the Dovetail Joint to near the soundhole. There was a pretty big Divot in the wood bridge on one of the wings and the you could tell the Finish hadn't been sprayed too long ago as the entire guitar was tacky feeling to the touch. In all fairness this was one of the first D55's out of Oxnard and they had just started spraying Nitro finishes so I am sure they have improved over time on both the finish and QC issues.

That being said I have seen other examples over the past year with no QC issues at all and everything looked really good on them.

Based off of my experience I would take the 4 hour trip to try one out and see if it is to your liking or not. If taking the trip is not possible then I would buy online from a Reputable dealer with a No Hassle Guaranteed Return policy so if something was wrong with it or it was just not to your liking you could send it back for a full refund.

Best of luck in your search and let us know how it all turns out.

TX

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome WWF - I tried a new Oxnard D55 -
played and sounded as good, perhaps better, as my New Hartford D55s.
Made a Westerly D55 I also owned at the time seem kinda clunky.

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone. Suppose I need to play one. Probably a 2019 model and the factory folks have some seasoning now.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
For what its worth, I had a 2017 Oxnard F55e Sunburst for about a year. Just sold the guitar. It was a difficult decision... the F55 sounded great, tons of low end and sparkling highs, nice slim comfortable neck. Could have kept it, but have been gasing for a Martin OM-28, so had to let it go to free up some cash. Had to chose between my SJ200 and the F55... Went back and forth between the 2 for a week and ultimately chose to keep the SJ200.

Fit and finish on the 2017 Ox F55 was without reproach, I'm sure the D55 would be the same, so I wouldn't worry about that. Take note that the Oxnards are much lighter builds than their predecessors. Some might like that, others not. The F55 was extremely resonant and easy to play.

I'm sure the Ox D55 is a great guitar. Good luck!

Reaction score
I like light guitars. I have a Martin 000-28 Modern Deluxe. Light and comfortable use it for fingerstyle. Have an HD-28 for flatpicking too. Love the guild sound though. It’s very distinct. I’m shopping for one right now actually.

6L6

Reaction score
Haven't played a new one, but I'd go after a Tacoma-built D-55 like the one I did hundreds of gigs with. Mine was built in 2006 and it was fantastic!

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I like light guitars.

So do I. It's why I love my '65 Hoboken F30. It's so light in contrast to other Guilds I've played and gives it a unique vintage tone and very responsive. Probably one of my favorites.

I have a Martin 000-28 Modern Deluxe. Light and comfortable use it for fingerstyle.

Wow, that's an awesome guitar. I actually tried an OM-28 Modern Deluxe which was incredible but outside my budget. I might be ordering a custom om-28 with a 1 11/16 neck which I prefer...

Love the guild sound though. It’s very distinct.

You're right, very distinct! But be aware, in my experience, the Oxnards have a different tone (at least to my ears) compared to the New Hartfords. I have a NH D55 and also had a NH F512. These are built like tanks compared to the Oxnards which are much lighter and have slimmer neck profiles. I found that the Ox F55 had a "dryer" tone for lack of a better word.

Reaction score
Well I just pulled the trigger. Getting it Tuesday. I’ll post some thoughts after I play it for a bit. Want to try some different strings too and also look at the setup and see how the action is. Always try at least 7-8 sets of strings on any new guitar.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well I just pulled the trigger. Getting it Tuesday. I’ll post some thoughts after I play it for a bit. Want to try some different strings too and also look at the setup and see how the action is. Always try at least 7-8 sets of strings on any new guitar.
Exactly, what did you "pull the trigger" on? Guessing a new Guild D55 but is it sunburst or natural or what? Congratulations and excited for you.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats Wildwoodflower, I hope you get a good one! There truly is ton of Joy to be had with a good D55 in my experience. I look forward to your review once it gets there.

TX

Reaction score
Natural D-55 no electronics. I’ll post some pics once I get it. Should be a nice addition to my collection.

Reaction score
Have it home now.

Fit and finish are very nice.

Factory setup was good too. I do not foresee needing any setup work.

Neck is very comfortable and very easy to fret notes.

What I like the best so far is the response. Louder when ask for it, yet easy to play soft and quiet.

The depth in the low end is incredible.

Overall a very nice guitar for a chump like me. It’s a keeper - I love it.

Will post a picture soon.

Thanks to everyone who commented!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Have it home now.

Fit and finish are very nice.

Factory setup was good too. I do not foresee needing any setup work.

Neck is very comfortable and very easy to fret notes.

What I like the best so far is the response. Louder when ask for it, yet easy to play soft and quiet.

The depth in the low end is incredible.

Overall a very nice guitar for a chump like me. It’s a keeper - I love it.

Will post a picture soon.

Thanks to everyone who commented!

Like the "A Team" would say at the conclusion of their show, "love it when a plan comes together."
Great report and I can, almost, hear you playing it. Congratulations!