F-47R Custom serial # "ALB #2" Westerly label Hans?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm not sure there's any way to tell when this came out from New Hartford. Looking at the pictures from the other thread (on reverb) I think there's also a possibility that this guitar came from Tacoma, but if the ad is right and it was bought at one of our Let's Meet Guild events, then it definitely was NH. The GAD pickguard is maybe telling us something, maybe not.

New Hartford was in production January, 2009 through May, 2014. The reverb advertisement says this was purchased at one of our LMG events which means it was prior to the fall of 2013 and bought at either LMG4 (fall 2013) or LMG3 (2012).

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm not sure there's any way to tell when this came out from New Hartford. Looking at the pictures from the other thread (on reverb) I think there's also a possibility that this guitar came from Tacoma, but if the ad is right and it was bought at one of our Let's Meet Guild events, then it definitely was NH. The GAD pickguard is maybe telling us something, maybe not.

New Hartford was in production January, 2009 through May, 2014. The reverb advertisement says this was purchased at one of our LMG events which means it was prior to the fall of 2013 and bought at either LMG4 (fall 2013) or LMG3 (2012).

I remember nothing of the kind from LMG I, II or III so if the LMG potion of the story is true LMG IV is most likely. :)

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm not sure there's any way to tell when this came out from New Hartford.
Sure it is...I presented all in this post and in post #9 here.

I think there's also a possibility that this guitar came from Tacoma.
No way. You didn't read my post...

2013 it is then!
Not necessarily. At least one member also bought a F-47 at LMG IV in September 2013 and that was a 2012 one. But like I said, roughly mid 2012 to mid 2013 is possible based on the "evidence" I explained. The youngest possible obviously would be 2014 since NH closed that year.
Ralf

Last edited:
Reaction score
Now I want to see and HEAR it !

I'll tell you what -- the more I play this guitar, the less I care about any of this stuff!
One thing though (since y'al have been so incredibly helpful), this top responds like red spruce. I'm assuming that's what it is (?)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you what -- the more I play this guitar, the less I care about any of this stuff!
One thing though (since y'al have been so incredibly helpful), this top responds like red spruce. I'm assuming that's what it is (?)

Since I agree with Ralf's deductions about origin, I'd say that's better than a 98% probability because it was standard on New Hartford F47R's:
https://web.archive.org/web/2013061...rs.com/instruments/details/?partno=3853007837
Based on your feedback as a knowledgable player I think it was a "real" build but perhaps one of those guitars that simply wound up getting liquidated either at an LMG event or even at closure of New Hartford as previously mentioned.
Some of those were acknowledged "B" stock but at least a couple of guys reported being unable to find any flaws on 'em.
While the Westerly label is puzzling, I wonder now if "ALB" has nothing to do with somebody's name but might actually be "Axxx Lxxx Burst", and it was actually test piece (1 of 3) for the finish.
Like maybe "Antique Light Burst"?
Something to replace the "Iced Tea Burst" offered in Tacoma?
That also would tie in with normal practice of making a few different versions for management approval to go to production.
3 test pieces would make sense: 1 "dark", 1 "light", and one "in the middle".
I don't know what they did in NH but it's common to make at least 3 "test chips" in custom auto paint shops, for example.
Wonder if that "ALB #2"appeared somewhere on the guitar or with an accompanying piece of paper that was then transcribed to the Westerly label (which I'm sure like everybody else was mounted some time after the guitar left New Hartford.)
I'd just be surprised if there were actually leftover Westerly labels available in New Hartford, but it just occurred to me that one of our members actually had his late Westerly F65ce's neck (warranty) re-set and even got a courtesy re-finish there, when they were "celebrating" the long- awaited opening of repair capacity.
Maybe the labels were there for potential "restoration" use, as oddball as it sounds?
In counterpoint, we saw what I believe were reproductions for sale on the internet several years ago, too. (Suspect that's a more likely source)
Also, have seen at least a couple of very early New Hartfords that apparently were built with out 'guards, whether by special order or simply as an option I don't know.
But that could also explain the unusual 'guard, perhaps added later just like the label?

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Reaction score

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Except for the gold tuners and the pick guard, this is my guitar to a "tee...." Like I said, she is a joy to play so the heck with all of this stuff:tickled_pink:

Glad you are loving it!

Although I absolutely love the information this forum provides, and this thread has certainly been informative, sometimes we forget it's "Made to be Played", not "Made to be Analyzed"...

walrus

Reaction score
Glad you are loving it!

Although I absolutely love the information this forum provides, and this thread has certainly been informative, sometimes we forget it's "Made to be Played", not "Made to be Analyzed"...

walrus

Yes. This thread has been absolutely amazing!
67241549_10220691267331347_3545063399073251328_n.jpg

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Except for the gold tuners and the pick guard, this is my guitar to a "tee...." Like I said, she is a joy to play so the heck with all of this stuff:tickled_pink:

I got a suspicion that guard'll come off easily enough with slow gentle heat (blow dryer), but you may want to select a replacement first and make sure it'll cover any possible shadow left by the one that's on there.
IIRC those guards were applied over the finish using a pressure sensitive adhesive that's removable, and believe GAD guards were the same, on the assumption that's a GAD 'guard, as it appears to be.
I recall for sure Killdeer43 R&R'd the 'guard on his GADF30 years ago so he could replace with a more traditional Guild shape, and all he needed was the blow dryer and a gentle touch.
We also saw very a couple of very early New Hartfords showing some slippage of the guards, possibly due to defective adhesive and possibly due to being leftover Tacoma 'guards which also exhibited the problem. (JohnW63's D55)
Point being those were also pressed-on US 'guards on US models and the nitro wasn't damaged under 'em.
Glad you are loving it!

walrus

Well it IS a bit of a mystery guitar, after all, and we just eat that stuff up around here!
:glee:

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's a GAD pickguard, it's a F-47RCE shaped pickguard like it was used during Corona times...
Ralf
Aha!
Thanks, it was nagging at me but couldn't quite place it..wonder if that's where the "California" part of the "backstory" came in?
Even so, the second 'guard supplied with my Corona D40 Richie Havens was of the "Peel and Stick" variety, in case Howardjeffry still wants to consider changing it..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Aha!
Thanks, it was nagging at me but couldn't quite place it..wonder if that's where the "California" part of the "backstory" came in?
Even so, the second 'guard supplied with my Corona D40 Richie Havens was of the "Peel and Stick" variety, in case HowardJeffery still wants to consider changing it..

Yeah that guard is really the only thing about this guitar I don’t like but don’t feel up to the task of changing it myself.

And yeah, the Cali part of the story always baffled me too