Guild D20 versus Martin D15?

BoneDigger

Reaction score
I happen to be a sucker for mahogany topped guitars (I own three). I have a line on a used but like new D20 for a fair price. I already own a D15m, a DSS15 (Streetmaster), and a 00015m (Custom). Since I have not played a D20, my question comes down to tone. Will I hear a difference from a typical D15m? Or will it be a serious overlap with my existing guitar(s)? I have heard the tone from the Guild is a bit lusher than the D15m, but that's a hard thing to quantify. Thoughts? I'm especially interested in hearing from people who have played both. I have listened to countless Youtube videos already but that's not something I want to rely on.

Todd

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Two D15s I had were mellow but had sweet tone - had a D20, was louder but didn't like the tone at all - like a Taylor on steroids,
bright to the point of brittle - kind of annoying, to be honest. Tried like hell to bond with
the D20 but in the end I bailed. Also, the D20 I had had a really strong varnish smell.

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Bonedigger - a thought - Corona D25s - all hog, flat back, similar to the D20 in those regards,
come up for sale every once in awhile.
Can probably score one in good shape for less than a used D20.
Dzxwaqi.jpg

BoneDigger

Reaction score
I've decided to hold off on this. Not sure how many hog topped guitars I really need??

kostask

Reaction score
if you want a different type of mahogany top sound, try to find an old Harmony H165. They are ladder braced (I'm pretty sure), and really do sound different (almost all mid-range, but fairly loud, and quite "old time", or what some people call "barky"). They have been steadily increasing in price for a while, and note that you are probably going to need a neck re-set. Interesting thing is, they were economy line guitars, but have a one piece back and front, but otherwise are fairly sparsely appointed. All that being said, they do check off some what are now thought to be "high end" features (hide glue construction, nitro finish, very nice rosewood fingerboard, etc.)

Last edited: