My G-41 tone

Brucebubs

Reaction score
Try a set of DR Sunbeam Lights 12-54 - they're round core strings so don't go cutting them to install them!

There's just something special about round cores that works for me.

The increase in tone and decrease in tension.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I just happened to have a set of D'Addario EXP Coated 80/20 Bronze 13-56 and put them on! Made a HUGE difference already!
So, tomorrow I will grab some Elixers and some coated PB D'Addarios in the 13-56 gauge. Thanks TX!
I honestly thought the longer scale combined with the heavier strings would cause too much tension on this guitar made in '75, but I guess not! She SINGS!
I will keep a close eye on the action though, just in case!

Thanks guys for all the advice!

No worries man, If you try a set of the coated Elixirs Nanowebs in Phosphor Bronze it should give you a bit more low end compared to the 80/20's. Glad to hear you got that old Giant singing again!

TX

Reaction score
I’m going for strings later today. Still needs to warm up a bit and yeah, the coated PBs might help a lot.
The 13s brought back a lot of tone. I can tell they drive the top better. And I’m experimenting with pics I don’t use on the other guitars... the heavier nylon ones seem to work nicely.

I don’t think this one will ever be a “howitzer”, maybe more of a parade cannon! LOL!
Which will be fine with me. I just want a richer, smoother tone as apposed to the snarky mid-range bark I was getting before. But I dig the size of it and even with the 13s it’s easy to play! Better than I thought it would’ve.

Will update after string change..,

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I just happened to have a set of D'Addario EXP Coated 80/20 Bronze 13-56 and put them on! Made a HUGE difference already!
So, tomorrow I will grab some Elixers and some coated PB D'Addarios in the 13-56 gauge. Thanks TX!
I honestly thought the longer scale combined with the heavier strings would cause too much tension on this guitar made in '75, but I guess not! She SINGS!
You had your action on the low end of the norm in the first place, and remember the extra tension of the mediums might tend to pull the neck up ever so slightly.
If you decide to stick with 'em you might even be able to set the action a tad lower if you want: buzzing is less of a worry with higher tension strings as their arc of travel isn't as great for the same picking stroke energy.
Think the reason a thicker pick sounded better for TX was simply because it would deflect less against the higher tension strings, so more of the stroke energy transmitted to the string.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, this sounds like progress!! Glad to hear it. You're one of very few people I know who can make a full sized JUMBO guitar look like a concert sized one!! Keep us posted on the changes and your impressions of their effect, amigo!! Beautiful guitar, for sure!! Is it 1 3/4" at the nut? I forget...... :encouragement:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Think the reason a thicker pick sounded better for TX was simply because it would deflect less against the higher tension strings, so more of the stroke energy transmitted to the string.

Interesting theory, The G41 is just such a different animal in Scale length and size that normal Guild Acoustic measurements and setup specs don't really work on it in my experience. With that guitar it takes some outside of the box thinking.

TX

Last edited:

Antney

Reaction score
Guitars wanna be who they are, they can’t be anything else. Play to it’s strengths and accepts its weaknesses. Can I get an amen for brother Retro?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guitars wanna be who they are, they can’t be anything else. Play to it’s strengths and accepts its weaknesses. Can I get an amen for brother Retro?
Somehow I'm reminded of the holy roller sequence from Vanishing Point:
delaney-and-bonnie.jpg

Delaney & Bonnie and Friends, in fact....

kostask

Reaction score
I would like to suggest that you try a set of GHS Laurence Juber Signature Bronze Light strings, if you are looking for an alternative. They tend to be between lights and mediums in tension. In theory, they are cryogenic treated, and GHS does play that up, which I personally have doubts about (I really don't think it makes that much of a difference). I believe that they have messed with the core wire/wrap wire ratios, as in using larger diameter core wires and smaller diameter wrap wire. On a standard scale guitar (25.4") they have an extra 10-20 lbs of tension over standard PB strings. I don't know what the tension difference is like on the G41 with its longer scale length. They may help get that massive top moving better than standard PB lights, if you don't want to go with mediums.

wileypickett

Reaction score
The longer the scale length, the greater the tension on the strings. (When tuned to the same note as on standard scale length guitars.)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I would like to suggest that you try a set of GHS Laurence Juber Signature Bronze Light strings, if you are looking for an alternative. They tend to be between lights and mediums in tension. In theory, they are cryogenic treated, and GHS does play that up, which I personally have doubts about (I really don't think it makes that much of a difference).
I agree, but I think it was supposed to enhance string life?
I believe that they have messed with the core wire/wrap wire ratios, as in using larger diameter core wires and smaller diameter wrap wire.
Yes I think I deduced that when I was searching for a new set of strings for the F65ce, on a search for low tension but still wanted an .011 "E".
When noticing that what appeared to be identical gauge sets showed significantly different set tensions.
Same with Martin, might finally explain why folks always complained "SP"'s felt stiffer than other pb sets..
I did gain new respect for GHS due to their extensive tension charts that even show tension for given alloys and gauges of individual strings at different tuned pitches, though.

wileypickett

Reaction score
I bought a set of these (Mediums 13-56) based on Brucebubs' recommendation. Not bad! Don't know if I'm ready to give up my D'Addario EJ17s, but I'm liking these.

Thanks!
Glenn

Try a set of DR Sunbeam Lights 12-54 - they're round core strings so don't go cutting them to install them!

There's just something special about round cores that works for me.

The increase in tone and decrease in tension.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I’m going for strings later today. Still needs to warm up a bit and yeah, the coated PBs might help a lot.
The 13s brought back a lot of tone. I can tell they drive the top better. And I’m experimenting with pics I don’t use on the other guitars... the heavier nylon ones seem to work nicely.

I don’t think this one will ever be a “howitzer”, maybe more of a parade cannon! LOL!
Which will be fine with me. I just want a richer, smoother tone as apposed to the snarky mid-range bark I was getting before. But I dig the size of it and even with the 13s it’s easy to play! Better than I thought it would’ve.

Will update after string change..,

All in the build and luck of the draw .
Shaving the braces as mentioned before is about the only tway to really change its tone .

Do these models all sound the same or similar ? I read a bit but skipped a few posts so I someone commented I missed it.

Otherwise it's the build and tonality of the wood . We all know how much that changes from one model to another .

Best of luck working working it out .