Is a DeArmond Starfire Special that bad?

parker_knoll

Reaction score
There's one really cheap collectable near me.

YES I know they aren't proper DeArmonds, but I have one that i put in an old Duane Eddy for a while and I liked it

YES I know they have a sustain block, but I don't mind that

How is the build quality? Are they much worse than Newark Street? The hardware? I notice they don't fly off the shelves when listed.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
They look a lot like a Starfire III, but they're a lot more like a single cut IV or V - centerblock inside!

Build quality is fine, but all the ones I've played were too heavy.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
DeArmond Starfires were always an acceptable low price alternative to the equivalent Guild, Most folks kew they were paying less, getting less, but still pretty happy. There's a gigging bassist, not too active here anymore. who uses hos DeArmond bass (with upgrade pickups) more than his vintage or Newark Street Starfires.

shihan

Reaction score
They’re cool guitars; especially if you get it at a good price. Quality well above other imports of the era. You should check it out and see how you like it.

matsickma

Reaction score
What is the price? The DeArmond Starfire Special and T-400 were the two DeArmonds that tended to go up in price over the years. The DeA Starfire Special was selling at $299 during the "blowout" and T-400 were $399 if my memory is correct. No case. The initial list was around $1000 with street price around $600-$700. Then the blowout happened and prices were slashed.

I would still buy a DeA Special or Custom (like SF4) at the right price.
M

mikbass

Reaction score
I have a DeArmond starfire Special and an NS Starfire lll and the DA gets more time and love. That said I'm a very basic player, bassist firstly,
and mainly play rhythm guitar, strumming behind my wife in our band. Budgetwise I would love a vintage Guild and maybe that day will come
but in the meantime I'm fine with the DeArmond and/or the NS
To me the soundblock is not an issue. I do love the NS but I find tuning stability is somewhat more important than weight. The DA is solid and stays in tune.
I did actually own a DA Starfire bass and an NS starfire l at the same time and when push came to shove, the DA stayed...
I guess I'm a blasphemer in these quarters but what the heck.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's important to note that the origianl DeArmonds were built in Korea with final assembly at the Guild plant in Westerly. They are vastly superior to the later models built entirely in Indonesia with inferior (compared to the original) parts.