Gv 70 ?

wileypickett

Reaction score
I have one and I believe there may be one or two others among LTGers here.

I own (or have owned) 35 or more different Guild six-string models, and the GV70 is among my top 5 favorite. I suspect the only reason it doesn't get talked about more here on LTG is because so few people have experenced them.

If there's one for sale near you Rich, I recommend you check it out. You may be rather pleasantly shocked!

Glenn

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
One of the highest iterations of my beloved F40 body:
16" lower bout F-body; rosewood flatback, ebony board and bridge; snakehead w/G-shield headstock, abalone rosette.
1 year-old Reverb listing:

https://reverb.com/item/10591904-guild-gv70-94-westerly-r-i-rare-bird-alert-1-of-59

Hi Al,
I checked Gruhn's vintage guitar book. It says that the GV-70 is the same as the GV-52, which has a 17" lower bout, except that abalone was used for the dots on the fingerboard, and on the rosette, whereas pearl was used onthe GV-52.

Rich

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The GV70 does not have a 17” lower bout. I believe it, the GV52 and GV72 are all small jumbo guitars, with 16” lower bouts.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Then Gruhn is wrong when he says the GV-52 has a 17" bout. Glenn can you weigh in on this?

It wouldn't be the first time, and it was the JV's that got the 17" lower bouts.

I believe he did the same thing on the Fxxce's in one version I saw, called 'em 17" lower bouts.
They were all 16's.
I don't blame it on him personally, but bad editing.

Last edited:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
It wouldn't be the first time, and it was the JV's that got the 17" lower bouts.

I believe he did the same thing on the Fxxce's in one version I saw, called 'em 17" lower bouts.
They were all 16's.
I don't blame it on him personally, but bad editing.

Well, Gruhn's book does try to cover a lot of territory. And though he was kinda of familiar with Guilds, the company does keep us all thinking!

wileypickett

Reaction score
Yikes! I don't know what kind of mics were used for that video or where they were placed, but the impression it gives is that the guitar sounds wimpy and weak, which couldn't be farther from reality.

For sound, I rate mine up there with my DV72, my D66, my Brazilian-backed D50 and maybe one or two others. Top tier Guild.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I wish. The seller on Reverb, after a few back and forths decided to hold on to the guitar. :heart-borken: He has a JF 55 for sale, but.....

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I wish. The seller on Reverb, after a few back and forths decided to hold on to the guitar. :heart-borken: He has a JF 55 for sale, but.....
Yeah those're a dime-a-dozen compared to a GV-70.
"Condolences"
Or "Happy Second Chances"? (If he decides to list again)
:smile: