Massive NGD

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
OK, so mostly belated, but still.

Ruined the surprise with this one with the G1000 pic, but Grot sold me this cool Guild GX. My daughter really digs it:

Guild-GX-TopFull.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I made a sweet deal with MLBob for these two guitars. He got my D46 and I got this Songbird. Possibly the first actual trade I've ever done and we were both thrilled! My daughter likes this one even better. It's got a better sound than the GX but the GX is fun in a wild way.

Guild-Songbird-TopFull.jpg

In addition to the trade with MLBob, I also bought this killer burst JF30-12. It's seen some stuff and it's got a Bridge Doctor, but the price was too good to pass up and I needed a 12-string. Also that burst makes me tingly. I used to have a JF65-12 but I don't think I remember how enormous these guitars are. Jumbo indeed!

Guild-JF30-12-TopFull.jpg

And now for the grand finale, I got this on Friday. I probably paid too much, but it's a 2001 Westerly D55. I've always wanted a D55 and never seemed to get one. Well, now I've got one:

Guild-Westerly-D55-TopFull.jpg

Why the D55 all of a sudden? Blame the NJ LMG. With all the love and exhibition of New Hartford Guilds, it raised my interest in getting one to try out (aside from my R30 Resonator). So I found one for a good price and bought it. Then I decided that I needed a Westerly to compare it to and bought this. This arrived first and I fear that the NH D55 has been sitting on a UPS truck all 100-degree weekend, but I'll know more about that one tomorrow.

Also I hate all the pictures and will likely reshoot, but since the review logjam is now immeasurably deep, who knows when those pictures will surface.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
BTW the D55 has made me realize why everyone wants a D55. Killer guitar. It smells funky and I've been working on that for the past two days (it's much better) but aside from that I'd call it mint. Also I feel like I should have put the JF30-12 last so they'd all increase by depth...

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
HOLY CRAP!!! You been hitting the TheraFlu again, Gary? All super nice guitars but the GX makes me feel funny inside..... I LIKE IT!!

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow that’s quite a line up. I think I’d have some serious sensory overload with such a haul. You are a lucky man... If I ever tried something like that I’d be on divorce court within 24 hours!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
HOLY CRAP!!! You been hitting the TheraFlu again, Gary? All super nice guitars but the GX makes me feel funny inside..... I LIKE IT!!

We'll see if we can get Grot to post a pic of the one he replaced it with. That one will get to you!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow that’s quite a line up. I think I’d have some serious sensory overload with such a haul. You are a lucky man... If I ever tried something like that I’d be on divorce court within 24 hours!

With the X160 the slush fund is pretty drained. Gonna have to get on the ball and list some more for sale.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Awesome NGD Gary, Congrats! I am really looking forward to your impressions on the D55's.

Be careful my friend, You have always had the itch for the Guild Electric models of all ages but now that you are getting into the Acoustic side of things more it is a super slippery slope! You think you have problems with case storage space now with the electric models, LOL, The acoustics take up twice as much room. Trust me I know. ;)

TX

Last edited:

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very curious to hear your thoughts on the Songbird. That one really intrigues me.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

We'll see if we can get Grot to post a pic of the one he replaced it with. That one will get to you!

GS%20Series-Blue_zpsnsv79kup.jpg

Nice! Photobucket is holding me hostage!

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
nice GAD! good to see you go acoustic too. interesting change.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't see myself buying "all the acoustics" like I apparently need to do with the electrics. The D55 is the one I've always wanted, so I'll have two for a while and probably sell the one that doesn't win (which i'll admit might be tough). I have a DV72 and the other ones shown, but I'm not sure I'll go much farther. Where things get interesting is when people offer me great deals. I mean, who can say no to a great deal? :smile-new:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Even blurry, I love the GX in blue!

GAD, you are keeping my home life happy, since I live vicariously through your purchases and reviews!

walrus

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don't see myself buying "all the acoustics" like I apparently need to do with the electrics. The D55 is the one I've always wanted, so I'll have two for a while and probably sell the one that doesn't win (which i'll admit might be tough). I have a DV72 and the other ones shown, but I'm not sure I'll go much farther. Where things get interesting is when people offer me great deals. I mean, who can say no to a great deal? :smile-new:

Just wait until the Rare Acoustics start popping up like some of the GSR Models or maybe one of the 50th Anniversary D55's with Brazilian Rosewood. Have mercy if you accidentally pick up an Orpheum. I'm telling ya that you are getting ready to fall into the wormhole, LOL!

TX

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Then I decided that I needed a Westerly to compare it to and bought this. This arrived first and I fear that the NH D55 has been sitting on a UPS truck all 100-degree weekend, but I'll know more about that one tomorrow.

Did the same thing but started out with a Westerly, then grabbed an NH, then another NH...
and then there were then none :saturn:
Glad I was able to own, compare and enjoy - I'm sure you will too!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome, GAD! Wow, you really are scratching the itch!

I hope you enjoy the acoustics a ton. Electrics are so flashy and cool, but acoustics are subtle and timeless.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just wait until the Rare Acoustics start popping up like some of the GSR Models or maybe one of the 50th Anniversary D55's with Brazilian Rosewood. Have mercy if you accidentally pick up an Orpheum. I'm telling ya that you are getting ready to fall into the wormhole, LOL!

TX

Well, that's how I ended up with the DV72.

A D55 Brazilian would hard to resist though I'd have to imagine the price being a bit of help with the resistance.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I don't see myself buying "all the acoustics" like I apparently need to do with the electrics. The D55 is the one I've always wanted, so I'll have two for a while and probably sell the one that doesn't win (which i'll admit might be tough). I have a DV72 and the other ones shown, but I'm not sure I'll go much farther.
You need to try an F40 or an F47, or their ultimate evolution one of GF series, or even a GV70 but there were less than 60 of those made..
:friendly_wink: