Orpheum Slopes and Gibsons

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
I've not had the opportunity to play an Orpheum Slope. There are 2 versions that I'm aware of - 12 fret and 14 fret, hog and rw of each. Those that have played/owned both...where does the tonal spectrum fall? Do the 14 fret mahogany ones favor a J45? Do the 12 fretters have the same bracing and sound the same, just a bit richer due to the lower soundhole? Tks much.

Edit: Did some reading via google...better than the search function I think. I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled for one in Arizona. Not much chance, but it might happen.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
They only made the 12 fret slope Orpheum in Hog, Rosewood was only offered on the 14 fret model slope. There may be some videos on youtube that accurately represent the Orpheum series. I believe the ones from "The Fellowship of Acoustic Guitars" were the most accurate that I have found. Also the old Guild factory videos of the 12 fret slope should still be up on youtube as well. Hope that helps.

TX

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the info... I'll def check out the clips.

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm guessing that the size of these Orpheum 12 fret slopes has caused a few people to move on from them. I own a Guild dread and a Guild jumbo...for those who own(ed) the 12 fret Orpheum slope, is it that much more uncomfortable to play? I'm an average sized dude, 5'10 with average arms and hands and I play sitting down predominately fingerstyle in normal guitar position, not classical style.

Nid2007

Reaction score
I’m a Gibson slope guy...I’ve had just about every incarnation at one time or another. For me, the extra depth doesn’t make that much of a difference. Especially when compared to a square shoulder Guild. Maybe it’s the short scale and the missing 2 frets, but my D50 just seems bigger in every way than my Gibson Smeck (similar specs as the 12 fret Orpheum slope).
FYI there is a great hog version available on the south Florida cl. I played it last week, and if I hadn’t just added a G45 and D-50, I would have left Delray with that guitar. It was very light and set up perfectly. At a fair price too.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have the 14-fret Orpheum rosewood dreadnought - it popped up on my local Craigs at a great price and I grabbed it. I use Searchtempest to run Craigslist searches, which is how I found it and jumped on it before anyone else.

Great sounding and great looking guitar. Majestic in tone and appearance.