Searching for info on my Guild F45CE BLD

Reaction score
New to Guild and TGF, I recently purchased an F45CE BLD Serial no. starts with F4504xx. I am having trouble determining the date of manufacture. Also, while the instrument seems like it is in very good shape and sounds great, there is a lot of cracking in the lacquer finish. The finish is intact despite the cracking/crazing. Is this normal for this vintage (I'm told it was built in 1980) or has it had some exposure to extreme temp/humidity changes along it life? Appreciate any insight you can offer. Thank you in advance. -David

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi, and welcome. That lacquer cracking sounds like it got left out to get really cold and someone didn't let it warm up before taking it out of the case. I believe the marketing term for that is "tone flames". ;-)

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Serial no. starts with F4504xx. I'm told it was built in 1980.
Welcome to LTG David! That should be a 1988 one, not 1980. And yes, the cracks in the lacquer happen when somebody stores it in his car or a shipping vehicle in winter and brings it inside without letting it get warm in the case or shipping box.
Ralf

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
New to Guild and TGF, I recently purchased an F45CE BLD Serial no. starts with F4504xx. I am having trouble determining the date of manufacture. Also, while the instrument seems like it is in very good shape and sounds great, there is a lot of cracking in the lacquer finish. The finish is intact despite the cracking/crazing. Is this normal for this vintage (I'm told it was built in 1980) or has it had some exposure to extreme temp/humidity changes along it life? Appreciate any insight you can offer. Thank you in advance. -David

Welcome aboard, Dave!
Are you interested in the "roots" of that model, what it was derived from?
I consider it to be an evolution of one of Guild's oldest and original classics, the F40.
See post # 9 in this thread for a little history:

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?199685-NGD-Guild-CV-1

I'm currently on an informal campaign lobbying Guild to bring it back into production.
:friendly_wink: