2019 GSR D-55 Noir

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
We had discussed about a 2019 D-55 Noir which Music Villa in Bozeman/MT had shown in June. Here was the previous discussion: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?199478-D-55-Noir

Music Villa wrote yesterday on Instagram:
"A few weeks back, we had the pleasure of having Doyle Dykes introduce us to this Black (Noir) Guild D-55. Now it’s for sale! Only 2 made total, and this is the one Doyle played!! (video coming soon to YouTube!)"

Now she is available for sale: https://www.musicvilla.com/guild/acoustics/d-55e-noir

Here's a little video with Doyle playing her (you might have to be logged in to Instagram, the YouTube version is not yet online):
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/v...210304_n.mp4?_nc_ht=scontent.cdninstagram.com

Interesting to see that new GSR label! Also interesting that Guild would make a GSR run with only two guitars!

1603547269558.png

1603547225265.png

Ralf

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
cool. I want this as an F-30 RCE with g-shield and inlays!
But probably not for $3.900...

The GSR F-30R was the version with G-shield and inlays but without cutaway. Still one of the nicest F-30s.
The GSR F-30CE Cocobolo had the simple G, so that might have matched your ideas...

Ralf

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ralf, it makes me wonder at the definition of "Guild Special Run" and the meaning of that term. Could it mean that they are possibly doing another run of same, or maybe HAVE done others, that we just don't know about?? I personally think it's a really cool idea and having a black D55 seems like a super good idea to me!! Imagine having pieces of wood that are of high quality and tonal characteristics that won't sell on a model where the grain pattern wouldn't allow it to sell with a clear or "see through" finish? Somehow I believe more of these will show up. And also, a good way to use that wood when doing the "training run" on a new model, as well. I supposed "Special" could mean anything that's not in the regular production model lineup.

Either way, I think they're beautiful, and I can see how this finish might solve some issues for Guild in these yet early days...... :encouragement:

Last edited:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Very pretty, indeed.

On the old theory that no guitar starts out to be a black guitar, I wonder of the "special run of 2" corresponds to the production of the labels more than the guitars.

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
it makes me wonder at the definition of "Guild Special Run" and the meaning of that term.
In New Hartford a GSR model was usually a run with at least 20 to 25 pieces per model. I think 20 was the required minumum. (with the exception of a few where they started and didn't have the suitable wood at the end, so we know of a NH model where only 2 were produced at the end.)
The special Reno's Music "Custom Star" run with 5 models in 2 paint opitions = 10 versions was the last such custom run in New Hartford but not under the GSR term but under "Custom shop".

Now in Oxnard it seems slightly different. The New Hartfort created GSR term (based on Fenders existing FSR term) was "re-used" used for the first time on that Oxnard made 2019 F-55 Noir, and since Music Villa explicitely stated "only 2 produced" I believe this. Whatever the reason was for only 2.

Earlier this year Oxnard already made some 6 to 8 (?) unique "D-40 Traditional Deluxe GSR Sweetwater Exclusive" where Sweetwater called them aleady "GSR" but they had no GSR label but the regular laser marked neck block model number given as "D-40T DELUXE".

So it looks like Oxnard is open to special orders from dealers even at small volumes and they created that new black GSR label which means to me we will see more of such GSR models for special dealers. Wildwood for instance is pretty succesful with their electric Wildwood special versions from other manufacturers like Fender. It creates interest in their shops at least. Music Villa and Sweetwater seem to follow this trend.

Ralf

Last edited:

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What is so special? Looks like a D-55 with black paint.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think in this case, indeed yes. Odd, isn't it? But it's not the first odd thing from Guild either… I also didn't see anything special except that Blk is not a standard color. In the past that one would simply have been a "D-55E Blk". The Sweetwater D-40T DELUXE was special/unique however.
Ralf

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
In New Hartford a GSR model was usually a run with at least 20 to 25 pieces per model. I think 20 was the reuired minumum. (with the exception of a few where they started and didn't have the suitable wood at the end, so we know of a NH model where only 2 were produced at the end.) The special Reno's Music "Custom Star" run with 5 models in 2 paint opitions = 10 versions was the last such custom run in New Hartford but not under the GSR term but under "Ren Rerguson, Custom shop".

Now in Oxnard it seems slightly different. The New Hartfort created GSR term (based on Fenders existing FSR term) was "re-used" used for the first time on that Oxnard made 2019 F-55 Noir, and since Music Villa explicitely stated "only 2 produced" I believe this. Whatever the reason was for only 2.
Earlier this year Oxnard already made some 6 to 8 (?) unique "D-40 Traditional Deluxe GSR Sweetwater Exclusive" where Sweetwater called them aleady "GSR" but they had no GSR label but the regular laser marked neck block model number given as "D-40T DELUXE".
So it looks like Oxnard is open to special orders from dealers even at small volumes and they created that new black GSR label which means to me we will see more of such GSR models for special dealers. Wildwood for instance is pretty succesful with their electric Wildwood special versions from other manufacturers like Fender. It creates interest in their shops at least. Music Villa and Sweetwater seem to follow this trend.

Ralf

When we were exploring a LTG GSR with New Hartford, the minimum 20 number was driven by what it cost them to program, or reprogram the CNC machines and other automated tools. That was needed if there were non-standard specs requested or merely the fact that there were no plans to make anything with those specs in the near future.

So it looks to me like some of these Oxnard GSRs can be made without retooling and thus the cost-effectiveness of shorter runs is different. Finish, binding and rosettes are three areas where the work was (is?) being done by hand or on standard equipment so the biggest change in production costs is in the raw material costs.

Aside from the nomenclature this is really the first step towards customization - if the customer wants something that is a change in material and not process then we can accommodate it.

I am also somewhat cynical - unless Doyle Dykes asked for a black guitar I imagine these are black because there was a cosmetic issue to be dealt with :)

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Personally, I think that is one fine lookin' Guild. If it weren't for the price it would be in my Music Room as we speak.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Probably a Sunburst finish that they messed up, so to be able to sell those 2 D55's with messed up burst finishes they sprayed them black and gave them a special run name, LOL! It would be funny if it weren't the most probable explanation.

At least the New Hartford made D40 Noir had abalone binding all the way around the top and the Guild GSR inlays on the fretboard with the Guild "G" shield logo at the 12th fret. It actually looked like a "Guild Special Run" guitar where as this one just looks like a regular D55 sprayed black.

TX

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's not black, it's Noir. Maybe that is what makes it a GSR.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I like it! But has been said by many, not the price!

walrus

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, this clip was absolutely wonderful. What a player. No offense to anybody at all, truly, I mean that but I think it's time to accept the fact that the new Guild is not the old Guild, there will likely never be anymore product built in NYC, Hoboken, Westerly, Corona, Tacoma etc. and that the new Guild is doing a lot of really cool things and building (at least in my humble opinion) stellar products. Long live Guild and a sincere wish for continued success, innovation and new product/gear.