Onbibaihgd

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Old, New, Bought it Back, and I'm Happy Guild Day. Here's what it is:

https://reverb.com/item/26285430-1971-guild-f-50-antique-burst

So, many of you will find this boring and many likely just won't give a damn but I'm in the kind of mood where I just don't care. So, here's the deal on this guitar.

I bought it in 2005 or so just when I started getting into Guild. It was Maple and a Jumbo and I had neither at the time so I bought it. It was an eyesore for sure although on the lower 6 frets or so sounded wonderful. It truly was an eyesore though. I knew nobody up here (where I had retired), no Luthier, no Tech, nothing. So, I took it to the only music store in the county. They had just a few guitars, mostly import stuff. He specialized in renting band instruments to the school kids. I asked him if he could make the guitar more presentable and he said sure. I called and called and never heard from him so I stopped in unannounced and said I want me damned guitar. He said sure thing chief, here it is. Well, he had painted the entire guitar with a can (or 2) of matte black Krylon. I basically came unglued and even more so when he said I owed him $300 for his labor. I pretty much lost it, made a bunch of threats (which I was pretty serious about) and he finally said get the hell out of his store and don't come back and "graciously" agreed to forget his charges.

So, I found a Luthier who has turned into a pretty good friend. He stripped the guitar down to bare wood, refined it in an iced tea burst with a nitro finish, did a partial refret, installed a new nut and saddle and also a set of Grover Imperial Tuners I had laying around. The action was pretty high but I chose not to go for a neck reset as well.

I played it for a couple years and then sold it to a guy in Brooklyn. I saw he just listed it for sale on Reverb so I bought it back. It will now get the neck reset it needs, either from Tom Jacobs and his crew or my local guy. We'll see.

This is just one of those instruments you all have come across. One where you feel you have a real connection to the guitar and the money you need to invest to get it right isn't the deciding factor.

That's it from Barton City, Michigan.

AMEN

tommym

Reaction score
The link is no longer valid.....it shows a new guitar.

Tommy

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I hope I can see a photo of said guitar one day. If you're happy, then I'm happy!! I got confused by Onbibaihgd, which you explained and then by the lefty ad which took it's place, because I didn't think you were one. Mainly, if you wanted it back and got it back, then all is well, yeah?? :encouragement:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The link is no longer valid.....it shows a new guitar.

The pictures are still there if you follow the link to the thumb picture and modify it a bit....

Yeah, darn reverb doesn't want to show completed listings, instead showing you "similar" items you might want to buy instead. No, reverb! We want to see the completed listing!

Anyway, thanks for the pic, Ralf. That looks like one heck of a refinish job! Gorgeous! Congrats, Richard!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Reverb has a "sold" button you can click on the left side that will let you search for sold items.

Edit - I see what you mean. Odd, since i look at sold items all the time. Gotta be a workaround....

Last edited:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hurray to Reverb that u can't click on it ;( Someone there should spend a half a day studying eBay to get a little bit more of a clue...

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Try this: https://reverb.com/item/26285430-1971-guild-f-50-antique-burst?show_sold=true

c3udxvpvefwdm7r1jc4b.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Oh, I like it! Mojo! And a great story, too, Richard!

walrus

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
The Grover Imperial Tuners look real sharp on that headstock!

Well, he had painted the entire guitar with a can (or 2) of matte black Krylon.

That sounds like an episode of "American Horror Story"! I look forward to hearing how she sounds and plays when you get it back from the shop.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I saw the thread title and thought it was Disney's follow up to Alladin!!

And those are Grover Super-rotomatic tuners with the Art Deco knobs. Imperials are completely different tuners, but they also use the Art Deco knobs. Just for the sake of correctness...... :wink: