NS Aristo with minibuckers/ new leccy stuff repeat

DThomasC

Reaction score
Aristocrat_HH_TBB_side.jpg

Is that a NS Bluesbird body with new Chinese? pickups and an Aristocrat tailpiece?

Looking at the photos on the Guild website, the serial numbers start with "GY" indicating that they're made in Yako Musical Instruments (Zhangzhou) Co., Ltd. in Zhangzhou city near Xiamen, China. (GY serial numbers = Guild Yako).
So far at least, the NS Bluesbirds have been made in WMI (World Musical Instrument Co. Ltd. ) in Incheon, Korea (KWM serial numbers = Korea World Musical). Hollow Aristocrats have (so far) come from SPG (Sound Professional Guitar Co, Ltd.) in Korea (KSG serial numbers = Korea SPG Guild)

Ralf spells it out in this post: http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?199536-Where-are-NS-Guilds-made&p=1846847&viewfull=1#post1846847.

jcwu

Reaction score
but I don't have an Instagram account, so I guess I don't exist.

Did you just hear something? I thought I heard something. Not sure if someone posted a thought.

Kidding, kidding.

I notice a trend of the younger generation taking over running businesses. There's the sentiment that the older generation needs to let go and let the younger generation rise up and hand off the baton to them, but something seems to have been lost in transition. I know it sounds old fuddy duddy to say this, but I think the younger generation (myself included) haven't grasped a lot of the values that made the previous generations what they were. A lot of the heart and humanity has been lost, and it's all now about exposure. I just saw a video on Instagram where a business guru was saying if you aren't generating 100 (yes, read that right - one hundred) pieces of content a DAY for social media, you are missing out on the biggest platform available to you. I personally don't get it, and feel somewhat overwhelmed with how much "content" there is out there, yet feeling like there isn't any real "content" out there.

I think I veered.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
:applouse::applouse::applause: Thank you...there is hope for the future if even one of 'your generation' is aware.:watermelon:!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just saw a video on Instagram where a business guru was saying if you aren't generating 100 (yes, read that right - one hundred) pieces of content a DAY for social media, you are missing out on the biggest platform available to you.

I wonder what business the guru thinks the audience for the guru's advice is in? While that might be valid advice - what do I know because I spend all my time chasing kids off of my lawn - it sounds like the person most likely to actually make any money following it would be the owners of the social media platforms.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Should he ever post here...our "guru"...I trust that his advice/observation will be accepted implicitly. Not Hans, that goes without saying, refering to
that person formerly from NH that helped so many of us ;)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Should he ever post here...our "guru"...I trust that his advice/observation will be accepted implicitly. Not Hans, that goes without saying, refering to
that person formerly from NH that helped so many of us ;)

veer? noted. Our guru seems to be dealing with a case of pneumonia at the moment and is likely to not comment any time soon :)

GSFV

Reaction score
I understand that they newer models aren't what they once were. Especially the ones made here in the states. However, as a player, I really appreciate that they are made in Korea. It keeps the price affordable for me but I still get a top notch guitar. I've adored having my SFV. It isn't as good as a Westerly, but it's also much less money. So if something happens or it gets damaged while gigging, I'm not out a fortune.

To be honest, the reason I picked up a Guild is because I "needed" a Semi-Hollow, they are affordable, and a (wise) friend talked about how great they are. Otherwise, I'd be playing an Epiphone (lesser quality and lesser name recognition/respect) or spending WAY more than I could afford on a Gibson for an instrument with KNOWN QC problems. I love the History of Gibsons, but they currently treat their players and fans worse than any guitar company I can think of. Hopefully this new CEO is able to turn the ship. But even still, I did a side by side sound comparison test between a $4800 335, and my Starfire V and mine had more everything. Highs, bite, sweetness, response. Whatever characteristic you name, mine had more. Plus a guildsby.

Getting back on track, Guild might not be what it once was. But I really like what they are currently. They're an excellent working man's guitar. They look high quality and top of the line, with a mid grade price range. I'd love a Guild Electric made state-side. But I can't afford one even if they were making them because they'd be at least twice the price. From what I can tell, they have a fun blend of old school, and new school. They aren't perfect and I wish they did stuff different with colors or pickup arrangements and what not. But I'd rather give my money to Guild, than Gibson at this point. And I just can't get past the gaudy D'Angelico headstock to really make the purchase (no offense intended, they're great instruments!).

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
For me at least, the frustrations isn't really with the guitars themselves, but rather that the import guitars are sold under the Guild name. Epiphone is the import Gibson. Electromatic is the lower-end import Gretsch (they're all imports), etc. It used to be that DeArmond, Madiera, etc. were the import Guilds. Now the name Guild is becoming synonymous with "the good imports". It's not that that's a bad thing (it's not), but it makes those of us who love the old Guild sad.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's like I had a date with Halle Berry and and a Halle Berry impersonator shows up instead. I may have a fun date, but it ain't Halle.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I notice a trend of the younger generation taking over running businesses. There's the sentiment that the older generation needs to let go and let the younger generation rise up and hand off the baton to them, but something seems to have been lost in transition. I know it sounds old fuddy duddy to say this, but I think the younger generation (myself included) haven't grasped a lot of the values that made the previous generations what they were.
There was a time when the higher priced tool or durable good generally assured one of a longer and therefore more economical useful life, if one could afford the cost of entry.
A $50.00 pair of shoes could be re-soled several times, but the $15.00 pair of paper Payless Shoe Source shoes lasted about 5 wearings. (That actually happened to me in the late '70's)
Over the course of the eighties durability was lost in the onslaught of cheap disposability and to be fair, my former employer Zenith (yes, that Zenith) wrestled with a perfect example of the dichotomy of the tech evolution:
Why build something (a 286-based PC) that could last for ten years when it was guaranteed to be technologically obsolete in 2?"
So I humbly offer that the younger generation grew up in an environment of disposability which was even legitimized by the new push for "recyclability", and never had encouragement to understand what was valuable about "tradition".
A lot of the heart and humanity has been lost, and it's all now about exposure. I just saw a video on Instagram where a business guru was saying if you aren't generating 100 (yes, read that right - one hundred) pieces of content a DAY for social media, you are missing out on the biggest platform available to you.
Yikes.
He gonna fall down go boom soon.
Even the postbot shrinks in horror at such sheer overproduction.
At some point people shut down and simply ignore, just like muting commercials on TV.
I personally don't get it, and feel somewhat overwhelmed with how much "content" there is out there, yet feeling like there isn't any real "content" out there.
Precisely.
Empty volume is NOT content.
I think I veered.
You veer, therefore you are.
:biggrin-new:

Last edited:

GSFV

Reaction score
For me at least, the frustrations isn't really with the guitars themselves, but rather that the import guitars are sold under the Guild name. Epiphone is the import Gibson. Electromatic is the lower-end import Gretsch (they're all imports), etc.

I can understand that. And there's a lot of validity in it. But one of the reasons I don't want to buy an epiphone isn't because it is an import, it's because it is NOT a Gibson. I'd buy a Korean Gibson. No biggie. Same as I bought a MIM Fender. A japanese Gibson would be a no brainer. Same as a Japanese Gretsch is. But I've been playing for a long time, and music is a large part of my career, so I don't want to play an Epiphone. It's silly, and arguably quite shallow. They're good guitars. But a MIM Fender isn't a problem. Because it says Fender. I'd hesitate to get a squire.

I think Guild doing imports under the Guild name is a good thing. At least for me it is.

Now about stepping too far away from Tradition. I do get that. No response there. I'm new to the Guild brand so I don't have any long term memories with them. So I can't speak to it. But I understand what you mean, generally.

I also agree with Adorshki, it's difficult to justify certain costs when there's such a heavy disposability mindset. I hate it. But it does sneak its way into my thought processes sometimes.

jcwu

Reaction score
But a MIM Fender isn't a problem. Because it says Fender. I'd hesitate to get a squire.

Is it just about the name then? Because at some point, it may be the exact same guitar, the only difference being the waterslide decal that's put on the headstock before the finish is applied. Or are you inferring that the Fender name implies better quality somehow?

jcwu

Reaction score
They're an excellent working man's guitar. They look high quality and top of the line, with a mid grade price range.

From my limited understanding, wasn't this the essence of Guild in the beginning? "Can't afford a Gibson? Can't afford a Martin? Here's a Guild - just as good (maybe even better), at 1/3 the price!"