DeArmond equipped stoptail.

Starfire_II_ST_Dynasnoic_side.jpg

Lefty.

Starfire-IV-BLK-Lefty_Front.jpg

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The pups on the m75 are "HB-2s", with no specs. I'm sure all this has been brought up in other threads. Parker, I agree.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Goddamit, almost good, but the gold, the stop tail and the sustain block are horrendous aberrations, plus the lazy lack of a scratchplate.

I had thought about sticking some DeArmonds on an NS SF-III to (kind of) recreate an early SF-III. Could still do that.
Yeah. I've said as much on the previous thread, but that thing jst makes me cranky. Go through the trouble of tooling up for DeArmonds, and that's what you come up with, Cordoba? A proper early 60's SFIII would have been the cool thing to do, or one of those uber-cool M-75's in cherry with Dearmonds with a Bigsby. Heck, an X175 or Capri with twin DeArmonds would have going "take my money!!!" This guitar......not so much.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
The pups on the m75 are "HB-2s", with no specs. I'm sure all this has been brought up in other threads. Parker, I agree.

Yeah, we talked about how the name HB2 has already been taken by bass pickups.

I don't mind the gold, and I actually like the stop tail look, but having a semi-hollow SFII hurts my head. I'll probably try one when I can get one for the right price.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah. I've said as much on the previous thread, but that thing jst makes me cranky. Go through the trouble of tooling up for DeArmonds, and that's what you come up with, Cordoba? A proper early 60's SFIII would have been the cool thing to do, or one of those uber-cool M-75's in cherry with Dearmonds with a Bigsby. Heck, an X175 or Capri with twin DeArmonds would have going "take my money!!!" This guitar......not so much.

I'm with you there. Potentially cool pickups in the wrong guitar entirely.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also, I thought we agreed to never use the term "leccie" again. :topsy_turvy:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hmmm. I have a couple of Gretsch reissue DeArmonds. Wonder how they would fit on a M-75?

Wouldn't it be fun if the reissue single coil mounting screws were the same size as the lb-1s?

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Last edited:

Aleph

Reaction score
Aristocrat_HH_TBB_side.jpg

Is that a NS Bluesbird body with new Chinese? pickups and an Aristocrat tailpiece?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
See also here for the provious discussions of the new Summer NAMM models:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...er-NAMM-2019&p=1847118&viewfull=1#post1847118

Whoever of the clever CMG marketing persons came out with the "HB-2" name for a standard sized humbucker should definitely learn much more about Guild history! A HB-2 historically was the Guild bass pickup! So they continue to confuse all of us...

cQdU6aX.jpg

Ralf

In a rare demonstration of consistency this is yet another example of Guild forgetting it made basses. How many people make statements about a Starfire I or Starfire II and then have to explain whether they are talking about a bass or a guitar? :)

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
All the hype about the Dearmonds being offered on the Newark Street guitars and they can't even put a set of white faced "Guild Correct" models on the guitar. They have to use the same old Gretsch black faced ones. That along with the "HB2" designation is disappointing to me. Come on Cordoba, Honestly, Is it really that hard to hire ONE PERSON who knows just a little bit about the Guild Guitar Company's History and the wonderful products they used to make to be able to produce a product faithful to the originals? That Starfire II just looks like a used modified Guild with those black dearmonds on it. Sorry for the rant.

TX

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Come on Cordoba, Honestly, Is it really that hard to hire ONE PERSON who knows just a little bit about the Guild Guitar Company's History and the wonderful products they used to make to be able to produce a product faithful to the originals?
TX

Send them a resume, although you probably should remind yourself that the Newark Street line was NEVER intended to be reproductions of vintage models. The waffle words include "reimagine" so they can justify changes in specs based on more modern construction methods or cost and availability of parts. I am sure orange switch tips was a cost/availability decision. I wonder if using Gretsch style was a similar decision? Did the supplier offer them faster delivery or cheaper parts by staying with the black? Or maybe they are deliberately distancing themselves from the originals so it is easier to compete with them?

:)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think we've all done a bit of hand-wringing over Newark St. models past and present and the simple truth is that they're not meant to be reissues at all.

I don't think Cordoba give a flying fruitcake about Guild tradition outside of how the name recognition gets people to buy their import stuff. Zenith, Levi, L.L. Bean, New Balance, and even freaking Radio Flyer are similar examples that come to mind where a well known "buy American" brand is importing a majority if not all of its products from overseas.

We had an interesting conversation at the last LMG where people who had toured the New Hartford factory (which was pretty much everyone but me) commented on the passion with which the instruments were made and how that passion really struck a chord with them. Conversely, the fact that Cordoba has no interest in factory tours for their (arguably) most vocal fan base says a lot about the new Guild.

The Newark St. guitars are pretty cool guitars at a pretty nice price point. IMO, the Guild of old is gone, though.

dhdfoster

Reaction score
I just can't see people that are interested in DeArmonds being particularly interested in the rest of the guitar.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is why I spent 7k I didn't have when the factory closed. I should have spent more...

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The NS are what they are. For cmg, they are product for people with not much cash, for us, they are beaters, so we don't have to run the risk of scratching our good guitars. It would be cool if they offered something that I wouldn't regard as disposable, but I don't have an Instagram account, so I guess I don't exist.