Guild D-30?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
For me, the G37 was somewhat like playing the 6-string equivalent
of a piano with the sustain pedal permanently depressed - interesting, challenging,
perhaps a uniquely capable sonic tool in the hands of someone who knows how and when
to play to its strengths,
That is precisely what my buddy could do with his '74; he had a soundhole p/u installed and when he fingerpicked through his amp he could make that sucker sustain literally continuously like an organ.

tarheelguild

Reaction score
Hi Larry and welcome to LTG. Lots of love here for the D30! Got my '98 D30 AB on Reverb a few years ago and it has become one of my constants gigging 'geetars (in fact, have a gig later tonight for which I'm playing it). What do I love about it? Beautiful, crisp tone, amazing, low action, and stunning looks. The maple gives it a great sound and it definitely was a step up from my D25 (which I've since sold). I have a LR Baggs under the saddle pickup which sounds very good although sometimes feedback is a problem. I got a Lute Hole sound hole cover for the D30 and that takes care of most of the problem. Yep, can't go wrong with a D30!
Tony
'98 D30 AB
'98 D25 12
'96 D4
'87 D50
'84 D40
'80 F50R

Larry Mal

Reaction score
tops are spruce, just like the Gibby Dove. they are loud and great for strumming but also crisp for finger picking. I highly encourage one if you are close to one.

D30s or G37 (same thing) are classic Guild dreads and I will argue the D30 should sound deeper than a Gibson Dove.

Thanks for the great advice everyone- I wanted to reply to this, if only to say that my Dove, at least, is not a very deep sounding instrument at all. Not sure about all Doves, but mine has such restrained bass to it that I keep it in open C tuning because that low C doesn't boom out on that guitar. It's a good sound, but for a dreadnaught, it is not a particularly bass heavy instrument.

highwayman

Reaction score
I have a D-30, too and would encourage anybody to purchase one in good condition. I love Maple and I love Maple archback even more. A fine instrument for both fingerpicking and strumming, not as loud and crisp as my D-25, the D-30 is worth having and keeping .

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I owned one for several years and I absolutely regret letting it go a couple of years ago. Just a beast of a guitar.. One of those 350 lb. Guilds that actually has serious tone and volume. Cant go wrong in my book..