The Seeds

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Jeff Beck's career always made me go WTF. Of the many albums he made I only listen to about 6. The 2 with Rod, The 2 as the JBG and Wired and Blow By Blow.

Don't forget "Superstition" on Beck Bogert and Appice.
It was his jam tune with Stevie Ray.
:friendly_wink:
(Also love "Lady" and "Livin' Alone" for the Cream vibe)

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
25dfaccb857631f66d131ec9f00a88f5.jpg

One wonders if he might have influenced Hendrix more than just musically.
My all time favorite car right there - with the exception of a preference for the earlier version with the taillights built into the sloping fenders. Used to sit in them as a kid at this one particular dealership in Pasadena, staring at the three bullet instrument cluster - couldn't believe they always left them unlocked & didn't kick me out!

crank

Reaction score
Jeff Beck does more with his right hand than any guitarist I have ever seen. He is constantly on the whammy bar and is super creative with it. His hands are also freakishly large.

Jan Hammer had a lot to do with his sound in Wired I think.

I like Jeff beck's playing more than love it, but the guy is super talented, versatile and super creative for sure.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
There was nothing like listening to top 40 AM radio in the '60's and never has been since...

that must have been something. amazing. if only for me...but i had fun listening to 94 HJY classic rock station, from bedroom in Newport RI as a teenager. those were good nights! and on a boom box mind you.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
the session group for "Beck's Bolero" consisted of Jeff beck, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Nicky Hopkins, and some guy named Keith Moon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmO0OZC6Ifk

what?????????? that is amazing! going to listen to that one right now. Moon? such cool history. what a scene London was in 66, 67, 68.

ok at the 1:40 mark, yes that is birth of heavy metal right there :)

and i can totally tell its Moon. sounds a little Whoish too.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
when you listen to Beck on Yardbirds songs, you get the feeling that pop music was never really for him, and he was bored, thus why he started to break down some boundaries.
If I remember this story correctly, Beck says he was inspired when he heard something on the radio car radio one day, some "really rude noises" that lit him up and made him say to himself "Yeah, that's what I wanna do!"
It was Les Paul who was pretty revolutionary in his own time.
Think he retells it in his Car Crazy interview.
Some nice notes about the making of Truth :
https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-jeff-beck-group-the-whole-truth
as i get older, i prefer instrumentals over songs with words. Beck is a nice find right now for me :)
I always loved his instrumentals.
Yep, it was one of the things I loved about Beck-Ola that let me know I'd found a new hero.
Beck-Ola reaches out and grabs you by the ears from the first lick on "Water Down the Drain", and I can still listen to Rod Stewart on that one, but the piece-de-resistance is the closing cut "Rice Pudding" (instrumental):
Hendrix "borrowed" the opening lick a few times when performing the concerts in Hawaii that got used in Rainbow Bridge, it can be heard in the fadeout of "Ezy Rider" on the "Incident at Rainbow Bridge" bootleg.
The story's told in the booklet accompanying the remastered Beck-Ola but it incorrectly identifies where it was used.
This woulda been within 6 months after hanging out with Beck in New York.
Frist time I heard Skynrd's "Gimme Back My Bullets" I knew it was "borrowed" from "Water Down The Drain", but, like, these guys were still in a high school garage band compared to Beck.
i can already tell I like Wired better than Blow by Blow...
I did out of the gate, too.
"Goodby Pork Pie Hat"
His jazz leanings were already showing up in Rough and Ready", first album after Beck-Ola and following a couple of year hiatus (auto accident/broken wrist); the instrumental on that one is "Raynes Park Blues"(subsequently called "Max's Tune"); then on "the Orange Album" (technically just the Jeff Beck Group is his cover of "Goin' Down'" (so also known as the "Goin' Down" album), the instrumental highlight on that one is "Definitely Maybe".
BTW in case it got missed, Sir George Martin produced Blow By Blow and Wired.

Jeff Beck does more with his right hand than any guitarist I have ever seen. He is constantly on the whammy bar and is super creative with it. His hands are also freakishly large.
Jan Hammer had a lot to do with his sound in Wired I think.
"Bout 8 years before "Miami Vice", too.

Last edited: