The Seeds

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Great post Roger - "Pushin' Too Hard" was one of the songs blaring from my transistor radio back in the day.

Al: I loved "No Milk Today." Side note; my brother kicked my butt because I scratched his Herman's Hermits album.
Pretty easy tune, too:
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/hermans_hermits/no_milk_today_chords_70874
Reminds me I also loved "Dandy" written by none other than the Kinks' Ray Davies, also a neat read:
(Hint the middle 8 plays easier as bar chords):
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/hermans_hermits/dandy_chords_854660
One other favorite Hermits tune, "This Door Swings Both Ways":
https://www.ultimate-tabs.com/hermans-hermits/this-door-swings-both-ways-chords
with a possibly unwitting "psychedelic" lyric given LSD's reputation for causing "ego death":
"Make the most of livin'
If you're not prepared to die"

That tune was also produced by Mickie Most and it wouldn't surprise me if that's one of the sessions Page and John Paul Jones actually did play on, as Most used them for session work frequently.
It's got "that sound".
Page was also widely reported to have played "the banjo" on "Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter" but that one's been debunked.
I also have a suspicion Page might have played the classical intro on "No Milk", though.
IT has "the sound" too.
Most also produced Donovan which led to the myth that Page plays the solo on the uber-psychedelic "Hurdy Gurdy Man"
That one's still a matter of confusion to this day. Page thinks he did but John Paul Jones says he didn't.
That's Page on "Sunshine Superman", though.
Also "Epistle To Dippy" and "Season of the Witch".
Possibly the "most" unlikely pairing Most attempted to contrive was having Donovan front the Jeff Beck Group.
That's them on Barbajagal cuts "Atlantis", "Superlungs", and my personal favorite "Barabajagal".

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
Ah yes, the Seeds. They played their one-hit-wonder tune & a few others at a dance floor event that occurred at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium (pre fancy-remodel) every weekend. I actually liked the recorded version, but if I recall correctly, they totally sucked live - just like Iron Butterfly! One group that definitely did not suck was The Electric Flag, with none other than Michael Bloomfield.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
It's a little known fact they were BIG fans of the Batman TV show.

giphy.gif

Batman183.jpg

Seriously, this is true. Listen to "Taxman". The chorus backing vocal ("Taaax - maaan") is taken from the Batman theme song ("Baaat - Maaan").

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ah yes, the Seeds. They played their one-hit-wonder tune & a few others at a dance floor event that occurred at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium (pre fancy-remodel) every weekend. I actually liked the recorded version, but if I recall correctly, they totally sucked live - just like Iron Butterfly! One group that definitely did not suck was The Electric Flag, with none other than Michael Bloomfield.
Springfield was another one that was supposed to be less than satisfying live.
BTW re Electric Flag, have you seen my posts about their link to Quicksilver Messenger Service via Nick Gravenites and Harvey Brooks producing the debut album?
And that horn section on "Pride of Man"..think it's gotta be from the Flag, too.

Seriously, this is true. Listen to "Taxman". The chorus backing vocal ("Taaax - maaan") is taken from the Batman theme song ("Baaat - Maaan").

walrus

Yeah but that's George's song.
Besides which that's a couple of steps removed from dressing up in capes to gambol about the estate playjng superhero.
:glee:
It is however chronologically possible as the first episode of Batman aired in January of '66.
In counterpoint the boys appear to have remained in Merry Olde (with exception of some non-US holidays) from January though March of '66 so whether they actually got any exposure to the show is questionable in my mind.
:friendly_wink:
Beatles Bible has the Taxman sessions beginning on April 22 with mixing and mastering lasting until June 21st.
While looking that up I stumbled across another little trivia gem from you guessed it, the usual source:
Burt Ward recorded a song called "Boy Wonder, I Love You", written and arranged by Frank Zappa.
And the theme itself was covered by a min-boggling array of artists over the last 50 years including:
"English rock band The Kinks played a cover of the theme at their show at Kelvin Hall, Glasgow, in 1967. The song was performed as part of a medley where the band appears to get lost. They start out with "Milk Cow Blues", then do the Batman theme, then "Tired of Waiting", then back to "Milk Cow Blues". It was released on the LP Live at Kelvin Hall.
English rock band The Who recorded a cover of the theme in 1966. It was originally released on the EP Ready Steady Who, but has since been re-released as a bonus track on CD pressings of A Quick One.[7]
Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam and his daughter, Harper recorded a version of the Batman Theme in 2016 which is regularly played on Pearl Jam SIRIUS XM Radio. SIRIUS XM Radio also put out an accompanying video of Eddie and Harper's version of the theme on their YouTube channel with references to the Batman TV series."

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Taxman rocks! Such fantastic guitar work and tone.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Taxman rocks! Such fantastic guitar work and tone.
You did catch the solo's actually Paul, and it's backwards, 6 months before Hendrix went into the studio for the Are You Experienced sessions?...at which time Revolver had been on the radio for 2 months already (released August '66)....I think Revolver was one of Jimi's single most important influences after or equal to the Yardbirds' "Roger the Engineer" (released in July '66)
Put on "Taxman", "Tomorrow Never Knows", "Over Under Sideway Down", and "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago" and then try to tell me Jimi lived in a cocoon and never ingested any of that stuff before going into the studio.
Two songs: "Manic Depression" and "Are You Experienced".

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You did catch the solo's actually Paul, and it's backwards, 6 months before Hendrix went into the studio for the Are You Experienced sessions?...at which time Revolver had been on the radio for 2 months already (released August '66)....I think Revolver was one of Jimi's single most important influences after or equal to the Yardbirds' "Roger the Engineer" (released in July '66)
Put on "Taxman", "Tomorrow Never Knows", "Over Under Sideway Down", and "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago" and then try to tell me Jimi lived in a cocoon and never ingested any of that stuff before going into the studio.
Two songs: "Manic Depression" and "Are You Experienced".

Agreed. What made Hendrix so great (...the greatest?) is how he took those influences (and his love of the blues) and made his own unique style. And "unique" almost doesn't cover it!

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Agreed. What made Hendrix so great (...the greatest?) is how he took those influences (and his love of the blues) and made his own unique style. And "unique" almost doesn't cover it!
walrus
Only reason I give Yardbirds primary influential status is that the first person he wanted to meet after he got off the plane was Jeff Beck.
Somebody (Dave Mason?) once said he was the world's greatest mimic, too.
And just think, being managed by ex-Animals bassist Chas Chandler he was only a step away from hooking up with Animals producer Mickie Most.
Most would-a straightened him out, put him right to work on Herman's Hermits sessions and put 'em back in the game where they belonged.
Or maybe even put him in front of the Mindbenders backing Lulu for "To Sir With Love", getting him some exposure in a real movie.
As it was he wound up blowing his chances with her when he went off script and performed "Sunshine on Your Love" on the Happening for Lulu BBC special.
Such sheer unprofessional behavior no doubt went a long way towards alienating him from the traditional pop establishment.
He obviously learned nothing from being thrown off the Monkees tour after they so graciously gave him a hand up in the biz.
:glee:

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
LOL! Of course Hendrix was "unprofessional"!

Even though I majored in Business in college, my favorite line of Hendrix is from "If 6 Was 9":

"... Go On Ahead Mr. Businessman, you can't dress like me". Just the way he says is, so matter of fact, makes me smile every time!

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
LOL! Of course Hendrix was "unprofessional"!

Even though I majored in Business in college, my favorite line of Hendrix is from "If 6 Was 9":

"... Go On Ahead Mr. Businessman, you can't dress like me". Just the way he says is, so matter of fact, makes me smile every time!

walrus

Let's not forget his unrealistic approach to vehicle ownership as well:
jimi-hendrix-drove-a-dune-buggy-in-1968-owned-at-least-two-corvettes-87831_1.jpg

Most woulda had a heart attack at the risks he was taking in those machines, let alone the instant depreciation, and he was as blind as John Lennon, too.
PS Where the f--k you gonna put a guitar in one of those things when you've got a passenger?

Last edited:

Grassdog

Reaction score
Am I to understand you never heard this '66 top 40 national hit released in November of 1965 by one-hit wonders Sky Saxon and the Seeds?

I was a little too young to have fully appreciated The Seeds in their heyday of the mid sixties but fortunately I became acquainted with them in the 80's when Rhino Records began issuing their garage rock compilations on vinyl. It was a joy discovering some of these hidden gems. Little Steven's Garage keeps a lot of these alive in rotation today. The Seeds and Shadows of Knight are my favorite bands from this era/genre.

I found the video amusing because of the connection to an ill fated 60's TV show (almost no one remembers) and the awkward reactions (for the camera).

F312

Reaction score
Let's not forget; “I’ve been imitated so well I’ve heard people copy my mistakes.” — Jimi Hendrix

Ralph

bobouz

Reaction score
Springfield was another one that was supposed to be less than satisfying live.
BTW re Electric Flag, have you seen my posts about their link to Quicksilver Messenger Service via Nick Gravenites and Harvey Brooks producing the debut album?
And that horn section on "Pride of Man"..think it's gotta be from the Flag, too.

No Al, I haven't seen those posts, although I do know of the Nick Gravenites connection. I happen to have a CD version of his "My Labors" album with Bloomfield assisting, which I count as an under-the-radar treat. Back when I saw The Electric Flag while in high school, my primary mission in life was to be where the girls were. But the tightness & talent within that band was something that managed to temporarily pull my eyes away from the ladies around the perimeter of the dance floor. There have certainly been many great blues guitar players, yet there's a quality to Bloomfield's playing that stands alone for me - setting it apart for it's sheer emotional beauty.

Edit - Also wanted to add a comment about your thoughts re Hendrix & Beck. I was just listening again to Roger The Engineer about two weeks ago, and once again was reminded about how Beck's lead guitar work with the Yardbirds was by far the most innovative stuff I'd heard at the time. I always credit Clapton's incredible 30 second solo on the Yardbirds "I Ain't Got You" as something that forever wired my brain differently. Only later did I discover that folks like Freddie King & Matt Murphy had played similarly years before, handing young Clapton a treasure trove of licks & tone. But along comes Beck, and he's emulating no one. Rather, he's initiating the paving of a whole new highway for guys like Hendrix!

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
No Al, I haven't seen those posts, although I do know of the Nick Gravenites connection. I happen to have a CD version of his "My Labors" album with Bloomfield assisting, which I count as an under-the-radar treat. Back when I saw The Electric Flag while in high school, my primary mission in life was to be where the girls were. But the tightness & talent within that band was something that managed to temporarily pull my eyes away from the ladies around the perimeter of the dance floor. There have certainly been many great blues guitar players, yet there's a quality to Bloomfield's playing that stands alone for me - setting it apart for it's sheer emotional beauty.
"Yep."
Didja get to see this one:
2fd2da17aa4dfaa785f631d1e1dfbd50.jpg

In case your viewing device resolution doesn't capture it, that's Hendrix headlining over the Soft Machine, Electric Flag, and Blue Cheer Feb 10 '68; Shrine Auditorium (Not sure if that was LA, San Diego, or Long Beach)
A young lad by the name of Andy Summers was handling guitars in Soft Machine on that tour.
Hendrix musta been in ecstasy that night.
One of Bloomfield's lesser known guest shots:
R-1165568-1522661180-2133.jpeg.jpg

image_original.jpg

With a young uncredited Carlos Santana sitting in on a cut as well. (Think it was "Marmalade")
Actually sold that one off in a time of need.. I had better stuff from all the contributors.
Edit - Also wanted to add a comment about your thoughts re Hendrix & Beck. I was just listening again to Roger The Engineer about two weeks ago, and once again was reminded about how Beck's lead guitar work with the Yardbirds was by far the most innovative stuff I'd heard at the time. I always credit Clapton's incredible 30 second solo on the Yardbirds "I Ain't Got You" as something that forever wired my brain differently. Only later did I discover that folks like Freddie King & Matt Murphy had played similarly years before, handing young Clapton a treasure trove of licks & tone. But along comes Beck, and he's emulating no one. Rather, he's initiating the paving of a whole new highway for guys like Hendrix!
I actually discovered Beck via Beck-Ola in '70, courtesy of a record store clerk when I told him I was big Steppenwolf and Jefferson Airplane fan, and worked back to the Yardbirds from there, and was a hardcore fan ever since.
For the longest time he was my favorite guitarist if I had to name just one, but Carlos Santana actually replaced him for a while in the late '80's early '90's.
He is once again my "favorite" among living guitarists but in truth I don't really believe in the concept of a single "best" guitarist, there's just too many at the "superhuman" level of ability and compositional strength.
I love Page's Yardbirds, too, for example.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Al:

https://youtu.be/p-XefAv6k-4

wizardry

and constipated duck is just flat out awesome. blow by blow my fave but to be fair, the only album i ever listened by him. while driving thru back country of Wisconsin solo on some ill-fated sales trip.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al:

https://youtu.be/p-XefAv6k-4

wizardry

and constipated duck is just flat out awesome. blow by blow my fave but to be fair, the only album i ever listened by him. while driving thru back country of Wisconsin solo on some ill-fated sales trip.

Amusingly enough, I saw Blow by Blow as yet another sell-out by one of my former hard-rocking heroes..too much funk for my tastes :glee: (but I still have original vinyl)

My two favorite cuts were "Diamond Dust" and "Freeway Jam".
But it WAS his "breakout" album.
Everybody knew who he was after that.
Another thing about Beck is that he never repeats a (band) formula more than twice in a row.
Seen him jam with Stevie Ray Vaughan and John McLaughlin, but he didn't jam with Carlos Santana at the last concert I ever went to.
Always wondered what was up with that.
PS Never seen that vid, thanks!
He's also a well known hot rod fan.
I'll never forget an interview with the guy from Car Crazy where he describes taking a ride with Hendrix in his brand new, 'Vette in '68, and how Hendrix, gadget fan that he was, kept showing him how the concealed windshield wipers (new and a 'Vette exclusive in '68) came out from under their flap in front of the windshield at the push of a button.
He'd jumped on stage and jammed with Beck during the Jeff Beck Group's tenure at the Scene.
Ronnie Wood (Beck's bassist) peekin' out from behind the Marshall:
df7fadee98fb7cb4fa470fc1e4ed28db.jpg

That's Beck's "stripped" LP:
2058125005_3b72efe268_b.jpg

PS the first thing Beck bought when he finally came into "real" money with the Yardbirds was this '62 Corvette, a real exotic in England at the time:
25dfaccb857631f66d131ec9f00a88f5.jpg

One wonders if he might have influenced Hendrix more than just musically.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Amusingly enough, I saw Blow by Blow as yet another sell-out by one of my former hard-rocking heroes..too much funk for my tastes :glee: (but I still have original vinyl)

My two favorite cuts were "Diamond Dust" and "Freeway Jam".
But it WAS his "breakout" album.
Everybody knew who he was after that.
Another thing about Beck is that he never repeats a (band) formula more than twice in a row.
Seen him jam with Stevie Ray Vaughan and John McLaughlin, but he didn't jam with Carlos Santana at the last concert I ever went to.
Always wondered what was up with that.
PS Never seen that vid, thanks!

was reading wiki on Beck, he cites John McLaughlin as the best guitarist ever, all around :) i need to read up on him now, i know zilch...I am listening to blow by blow at work now, next up on YT full ablum is Wired. I hear that one is fantastic. but i cannot skip past these funky blow by blow jams. they are just too fun. :)

JF-30

Reaction score
Jeff Beck's career always made me go WTF. Of the many albums he made I only listen to about 6. The 2 with Rod, The 2 as the JBG and Wired and Blow By Blow.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Jeff Beck's career always made me go WTF. Of the many albums he made I only listen to about 6. The 2 with Rod, The 2 as the JBG and Wired and Blow By Blow.

when you listen to Beck on Yardbirds songs, you get the feeling that pop music was never really for him, and he was bored, thus why he started to break down some boundaries. Paige too, but he definitely liked more structure. not saying one is bad or wrong, just different. as i get older, i prefer instrumentals over songs with words. Beck is a nice find right now for me :)

i can already tell I like Wired better than Blow by Blow...

looks like i am in good company:

Writing for AllMusic, Mark Kirschenmann said: "Within a two-year span, the twin towers Blow by Blow and Wired set a standard for instrumental rock that even Beck has found difficult to match. On Wired, with first-rate material and collaborators on hand, one of rock's most compelling guitarists is in top form."

Last edited: