Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great stuff! I like The Bangles version, too:

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
No Guild sighting, but my oh my what have we here?
Am I to understand you never heard this '66 top 40 national hit released in November of 1965 by one-hit wonders Sky Saxon and the Seeds?
One of the seminal garage rock bands right up there with the Standells ("Drinking Muddy Water") and the Count Five ("Psychotic Reaction")?
Beloved of pre-"Summer of Love" hippies from the Sunset Strip to pre-invasion Haight Street?
Or are you merely wondering if a certain Mr. Mick Jagger (or at least his couturier) may have been inspired by Mr. Saxon when he was prepping the wardrobe for the 1969 US tour us as seen in the film Gimme Shelter:
tumblr_o7yb2q13fS1tuz95vo1_400.gif

and which gave us Get Yer Ya Yas Out in '70?
stones_cm.jpg

:glee:

My apologies if this has been posted before on LTG
It'd have to be a lot of repeat posts before I called foul!
Here's another one you oughta dig:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOWOdKs6KUo
I once had an argument with a buddy about when exactly that song was released as he thought '66 was too early for such a "psychedelic" album cover:
SR61096.jpg

Some folks consider "You're Gonna Miss Me" by the 13th Floor Elevators to be the "original" psychedelic hit but I humbly disagree, it is right up there in the top 40 of all-time greatest garage rock hits, though:
https://66.media.tumblr.com/3f347273a180ec3637f13b73e6e2f636/tumblr_o7yb2q13fS1tuz95vo1_400.gif
I'd consider the Electric Prunes' "I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night" to have a more "psychedelic sound" overall, along with the "wink wink-nudge nudge" title...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBkiPtOm1V0

Poor Herman's Hermits was making a desperate attempt to stay relevant with this cut from their '66 movie/soundtrack album Hold On, "Wild Love":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBkiPtOm1V0
But after one last hurrah with "There's a Kind of Hush" in'67, it was all over.
Always preferred B-side "No Milk Today" in any case.
http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/08/20/almost-hits-hermans-hermits-no-milk-today-1967/
Written by the legendary Graham Gouldman who gave us The Yardbirds' string of hits "For Your Love" "Evil Hearted You" and "Heart Full of Soul".
In my humble opinion the Yardbirds were the single most responsible band for the whole "garage band" phenomenon.
They were rowdier and less polished than the Beatles who'd already started incorporating lusher arrangements into the albums; and had more recognition here than the Stones until "Satisfaction" hit.
Curiously, their last album was produced by the same Mickie Most who helmed the Hermits into pop has-beens and the Yardbirds met their fate at his hands as well....
There was nothing like listening to top 40 AM radio in the '60's and never has been since...

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great post, Al!

8/5/66 for the release of Revolver - "Tomorrow Never Knows". Not the first psychedelic song? Or are you talking about the first psychedelic "hit"?

walrus

JF-30

Reaction score
We have no style theses days. The 60's had groovy threads. I remember some of the cool stuff I wore in the 70's.

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
No Guild sighting, but my oh my what have we here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQWVHvjdfZw

My apologies if this has been posted before on LTG

This was our signature cover song in the Junior High and High School band I was part of. (The Uncalled Four) This song was my first venture into distortion guitar parts. We actually did it pretty good but it was tiring. I think our version was like 18 minutes long or something like that. Really good memories, hadn't thought about that song in many. many years.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Great post, Al!

8/5/66 for the release of Revolver - "Tomorrow Never Knows". Not the first psychedelic song? Or are you talking about the first psychedelic "hit"?

walrus

Yes I think "Tomorrow Never Knows" is the first truly "psychedelic" song, but I was trying to explain I think "You're Gonna Miss Me" is more appropriately in the garage band category even though the band itself was notorious in the days when acid was still legal.
It was kind of a cross-over era and the later post '66 "psychedelic" hits were much more informed by the Revolver influence.
Take "Psychotic Reaction" for example: users knew exactly what the band was talking about but the instrumentation is pure garage band, fuzz-tone lick courtesy Stones; harmonica, ties, and rave-up ending courtesy of the Yardbirds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBTT3VPriV8
Dig the Vox teardrop electric 12-string, BTW.
:smile:
I also got a similar gripe with folks who say "Born To Be Wild" was the first heavy metal song due to the lyric.
Nope.
Love the crunch of the Fender Esquire but the Yardbirds were doing heavy metal before anybody knew what the hell to call it with "Mr. You're A Better Man Than I" and "Shapes of Things" and then "Over Under Sideways Down" and "Happenings 10 Years Time Ago", both from '66.
And Page foreshadowing Zeppelin on the previously cited final Yardbirds album Little Games, especially with the cut "Think About It":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UseyCdGNfaY
There's also a school that believes "Beck's Bolero" is the first true heavy metal tune, although, even though recorded in '66, never released until appearing on Truth in '67.
I know you're a Page fan but for those discovering this for the first time, the session group for "Beck's Bolero" consisted of Jeff beck, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Nicky Hopkins, and some guy named Keith Moon who was about to kicked out of his band and needed the work :)glee:).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmO0OZC6Ifk

This was our signature cover song in the Junior High and High School band I was part of. (The Uncalled Four) This song was my first venture into distortion guitar parts. We actually did it pretty good but it was tiring. I think our version was like 18 minutes long or something like that. Really good memories, hadn't thought about that song in many. many years.

Whoah, side of you I never met, love it!
When would that have been, btw, around '68-'69 or so when extended jams were becoming "de rigeur" after so many bands' live albums featuring extended solos?
(I'm thinking of Wheels of Fire and Happy Trails ....the extended "Suzy Q", and even (gasp!) "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"...)

Last edited:

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
In my first attempt at college (1966) my first girl friend (from CA) knew one of the Seeds, hearing/seeing them reminds me of her. FWIW, Sky Saxon stayed in the music business (and was part of a weird religious commune) and I guess he was moderately successful as a regional artist.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

Excellent band name, Richard! Love it!

walrus

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yes I think "Tomorrow Never Knows" is the first truly "psychedelic" song, but I was trying to explain I think "You're Gonna Miss Me" is more appropriately in the garage band category even though the band itself was notorious in the days when acid was still legal.
It was kind of a cross-over era and the later post '66 "psychedelic" hits were much more informed by the Revolver influence.
Take "Psychotic Reaction" for example: users knew exactly what the band was talking about but the instrumentation is pure garage band, fuzz-tone lick courtesy Stones; harmonica, ties, and rave-up ending courtesy of the Yardbirds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBTT3VPriV8
Dig the Vox teardrop electric 12-string, BTW.
:smile:
I also got a similar gripe with folks who say "Born To Be Wild" was the first heavy metal song due to the lyric.
Nope.
Love the crunch of the Fender Esquire but the Yardbirds were doing heavy metal before anybody knew what the hell to call it with "Mr. You're A Better Man Than I" and "Shapes of Things" and then "Over Under Sideways Down" and "Happenings 10 Years Time Ago", both from '66.
And Page foreshadowing Zeppelin on the previously cited final Yardbirds album Little Games, especially with the cut "Think About It":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UseyCdGNfaY
There's also a school that believes "Beck's Bolero" is the first true heavy metal tune, although, even though recorded in '66, never released until appearing on Truth in '67.
I know you're a Page fan but for those discovering this for the first time, the session group for "Beck's Bolero" consisted of Jeff beck, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Nicky Hopkins, and some guy named Keith Moon who was about to kicked out of his band and needed the work :)glee:).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmO0OZC6Ifk

So much going on musically in '66! So many great bands, all feeding off and influencing each other. So influential to so many bands that came after...

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Or John and Yoko?

PMXYUpol.jpg
[/IMG]

walrus

It's a little known fact they were BIG fans of the Batman TV show.

giphy.gif

Batman183.jpg

In fact I'm still a big fan.
ba8df747850d62d03a56ad57e3701c54.jpg

Now there's a costume that didn't need a cape.
And we know why Batman wanted to stay home that night.

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score
When Roky Erickson was on he was on. There are a few in this lifetime that did to much Lysergic. Roky, Syd and Peter Green are casualties the psychic war.

JF-30

Reaction score
It's a little known fact they were BIG fans of the Batman TV show.

giphy.gif

In fact I'm still a big fan.
ba8df747850d62d03a56ad57e3701c54.jpg

That is my dream girl. Not Yoko. Catwoman. She was the best, followed by Eartha.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great post Roger - "Pushin' Too Hard" was one of the songs blaring from my transistor radio back in the day.

Al: I loved "No Milk Today." Side note; my brother kicked my butt because I scratched his Herman's Hermits album.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
When Roky Erickson was on he was on. There are a few in this lifetime that did to much Lysergic. Roky, Syd and Peter Green are casualties the psychic war.

To be fair they were all a little outside the "normal" envelope and LSD probably wouldn't have helped even in therapeutic settings.
I don't think the acid caused their problems but it most likely made 'em worse.
Peter Green made it back though.
Like Erickson he too was formally diagnosed schizophrenic in the '70's.
Can LSD push a borderline personality over the edge?
Yes.
Is it risky enough for its use to be regulated?
Yes.
Is it the only drug with potentially dangerous psychological consequences?
No.
Could there be some wisdom in legalizing many so-called dangerous drugs in order to better regulate their distribution and use?
As much as the Libertarian in me screams out "No government regulation!", when I think about my 11-year old nephew being potentially targeted by leeches who're only in it for the money, I gotta say:
Yes.
It was easier to get pot and acid at my high school than it was to try to get somebody to buy us beer on Friday nights.

Last edited: