starfire III pot questions

poppy

BANNED - Spammer
Reaction score
HI, Can anyone tell me the value of the tone & Volume pots as well as the caps in a 1961 Starfire III with DeArmonds. I never took note when my harness was out and i really like the tone range on this guitar.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
HI, Can anyone tell me the value of the tone & Volume pots as well as the caps in a 1961 Starfire III with DeArmonds. I never took note when my harness was out and i really like the tone range on this guitar.
Poppy after 24 hours and no replies, you might want to send hansmoust an email or a pm from the board:
http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/
It occurs to me that everybody who's looked so far might either be uncertain if their pots and caps are original or know they've been replaced.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
There are good pictures of a harness from that periode here: https://reverb.com/item/1878082-vin...r-wiring-harness-complete-sf-ii-sf-iii-1960-s
Zooming in you can see the capacitor values clearly (.05mfd for neck and .005mfd for bridge) as well as some potentiometer info.
Pots were usually 500kohms for volume and 200kohms for tone.

Some humbucker equipped later 60ies Starfires had a 500kohms bridge tone pot and a 200kohms neck tone pot. Not sure how this was at the DeArmond versions.
The bigger capacitor value like .05mfd at the neck p/u tone pot and the smaller value, like .01mfd or 0.005mfd at the bridge p/u tone pot give you a "darker" "jazzy" sound for the neck pickup and a clearer sound for the bridge pickup. Plus the additional lower resistance on the neck tone pot also means that more high frequencies go to ground, so the neck pickup is extra “dark”. Now it depends if this is something somebody wants to achieve or if it is too muddy sounding.

Like Al proposed, Hans would know exact values for your specific guitar.

Ralf

poppy

BANNED - Spammer
Reaction score
starfire III

thanks for your help. scott

There are good pictures of a harness from that periode here: https://reverb.com/item/1878082-vin...r-wiring-harness-complete-sf-ii-sf-iii-1960-s
Zooming in you can see the capacitor values clearly (.05mfd for neck and .005mfd for bridge) as well as some potentiometer info.
Pots were usually 500kohms for volume and 200kohms for tone.

Some humbucker equipped later 60ies Starfires had a 500kohms bridge tone pot and a 200kohms neck tone pot. Not sure how this was at the DeArmond versions.
The bigger capacitor value like .05mfd at the neck p/u tone pot and the smaller value, like .01mfd or 0.005mfd at the bridge p/u tone pot give you a "darker" "jazzy" sound for the neck pickup and a clearer sound for the bridge pickup. Plus the additional lower resistance on the neck tone pot also means that more high frequencies go to ground, so the neck pickup is extra “dark”. Now it depends if this is something somebody wants to achieve or if it is too muddy sounding.

Like Al proposed, Hans would know exact values for your specific guitar.

Ralf