Seeking Recording Recommendations for Peregrin

CarvedTop

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm beginning some recordings using my Peregrine, and I'd like to get some feedback from other Peregrine users.

One of the things I like is that I can practice on my Peregrine without an amp. I especially like some of the warm overtones I get from the mahogany body. Of course, once I plug into an amp, the tone characteristics change. I usually run the onboard towards the bright side and I like the tonal characteristics of this as well.
So I have this idea of recording with microphones similar to how I would on an acoustic guitar, and also have the output from the guitar go directly to the board, and then mix as a multilayer guitar track.

My question is: Has anyone tried this and what microphones would be good for this type of recording? And where would you place them in relation to the guitar?

Thanks!
RayK

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Interesting question. I'll be curious how this gets answered. I suspect, the answer would be the acoustic mic(s) would be the same as used for an acoustic guitar and the mic on the plugged in sound will vary by personal taste. From a standard Shure SM57 to just about anything.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've never tried to record the Peregrine acoustically. I record the Peregrine in a live-band setting, going into the PA after a pedal or two. I have recorded other, more conventional, acoustic-electric guitars in the way you describe (a direct track and a mic track together) but it has just never occurred to me to do the same with the Peregrine.

Your question is pretty interesting and I'll be watching to see if other Peregrine players have recorded it with a mic.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hmmmm, looks like we have two RayK's!! It made me look twice. Interesting question. I thought of Shure SM57 as well, but I'm not very technosavvy. It'll be fun to see what answers come.....

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have recorded Traditional acoustics like you are wanting to do but not a peregrine. On a traditional Acoustic I normally run 2 separate studio condenser mics (Mine are both Blue Hummingbird Mics) with one positioned at the bridge area directed at the Neck to body joint and one positioned at the 12 fret directed at the bottom of the soundhole in a crossing pattern. I keep the mic heads about 12-18 inches away from the guitar depending on the signal strength (You may want to place them closer due to the lower acoustic output of the Peregrine). Both mics are run into a "Presonus Bluetube V2 Microphone Preamp" before they are run into the board. Then I run the Guitar pickup into it's own channel on the board via a 1/4" guitar cable making 3 different signals paths recorded to 3 individual channels to be able to mix down later as you wish. I know it is a bit of overkill but it really comes out great for me.

I think you would be fine with one nice condenser mic and a straight patch into the board with your pickup giving you the 2 signal paths you are looking for. I would experiment with the mic placement as you want to find the "Sweet Spot" for the peregrine especially with it being much quieter when played acoustically.

Best of Luck and let us know how it turns out!

TX

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

txbumper57 gave you some excellent advice. With computer recording the number of tracks is no issue - and "overkill" is far better than "I wish I had put one more mic in while this was musically best take ever"

As for microphones - avoid Shure SM57 & 58 - they have their purpose somewhere, but if you wish to get clean overtones etc - they are not ones to use.

I rather have one good mic than two mediocre. 200-300 USD should give you a choice of decent mics. Even if you might think they are expensive - you never regret buying a good one once you hear the difference.

A drummer once was shook up when he learned, that my mics for his set alone were over 4000€ - after the gig he commented, that he could actually hear of the room reflection, that this time things were better than ever.

No electronic device can bring back what a poor mic looses - no matter what the salesman says. I am salesman of some super-quality german mics here in Finland. But you have to find your own stuff over there.

CarvedTop

Reaction score
Recording the Peregrine

I have recorded Traditional acoustics like you are wanting to do but not a peregrine. On a traditional Acoustic I normally run 2 separate studio condenser mics (Mine are both Blue Hummingbird Mics) with one positioned at the bridge area directed at the Neck to body joint and one positioned at the 12 fret directed at the bottom of the soundhole in a crossing pattern. I keep the mic heads about 12-18 inches away from the guitar depending on the signal strength (You may want to place them closer due to the lower acoustic output of the Peregrine). Both mics are run into a "Presonus Bluetube V2 Microphone Preamp" before they are run into the board. Then I run the Guitar pickup into it's own channel on the board via a 1/4" guitar cable making 3 different signals paths recorded to 3 individual channels to be able to mix down later as you wish. I know it is a bit of overkill but it really comes out great for me.

I think you would be fine with one nice condenser mic and a straight patch into the board with your pickup giving you the 2 signal paths you are looking for. I would experiment with the mic placement as you want to find the "Sweet Spot" for the peregrine especially with it being much quieter when played acoustically.

Best of Luck and let us know how it turns out!

TX

Thanks everyone for the good advice!

Interesting that no one has tried this, so I guess I'll be the guinea pig.

I have a couple of fairly good large condenser mics that I'm going to try. One is an old Studio Projects C1, and the other is an MXL v69 Mogami Tube mic.
I'm also planning on getting an Avantone CR14 ribbon mic and trying it. I've read that these are good for acoustic instruments and have more top end.

I'll post a link to the sound tests when I'm done so you can hear the results.

RayK

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Interesting that no one has tried this, so I guess I'll be the guinea pig.
Probably because there just aren't a whole lot of Peregrines out there to start with, let alone members here who have one.
I'll post a link to the sound tests when I'm done so you can hear the results.
Cool!
Our "original" RayK is a big fan of sound clips!
:smile:

CarvedTop

Reaction score
Guild Peregrine Recording Tests

OK,
I made 3 test recordings to test the sound of Direct vs Using a mic. This is a new song I'm working on, so the playing isn't perfect yet.
All three were recorded into a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 using Digital Performer. I had the onboard EQ set to full treble, and I'm using my thumb nail as a pick.
You can listen to them using the links below.

Ray K

#1: Recorded direct into the Focusrite.
https://clyp.it/uesyobs0

#2: Recorded using an MXL V69 Mogami Edition large condenser tube mic, 6 inches from the neck/body joint.
https://clyp.it/wttbdbuq

#3: Recorded using an MXL V69 Mogami Edition large condenser tube mic, 6 inches from the body behind the bridge.
https://clyp.it/ccjucgx1

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
#2 was rather shrill. #1 has the normal sound of an under saddle pickup. With my Ovations, going into a high impedance amp or a high impedance pedal before and amp really helps that sound. Why do you have the treble cranked ?

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd love to hear #1 and #3 synched together. i'll bet that would give a nice sound. of course, I've been wrong before, but can you blend 'em together?? :encouragement::saturn:

CarvedTop

Reaction score
#1 and #3 Mixed

I'd love to hear #1 and #3 synched together. i'll bet that would give a nice sound. of course, I've been wrong before, but can you blend 'em together?? :encouragement::saturn:

Yes I agree, #1 & 3 mixed together would be what I'm looking for. Actually that's what I was intending to do for the final recording.

To why I have the treble all the way up: I find that the mahogany wood of the Peregrine produces a really warm and sometimes boomy tone, and is hard to control sometimes especially with the low E string. Even with the treble up all the way, you can hear how clip #1 is a lot warmer than the others. I guess it's just a personal preference. Of course, when I run through an amp, I can back the treble down some and get a great sound.

RayK