Bluesbird Problem

Reaction score
I've had a bluesbird for a couple of years now and lately when I plug in someone's I get amplification and sometimes not.

I've tried several different called as well a going straight to the amp instead through my pedal board.

Anyone else seen this?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Which year is the Bluesbird? Sounds like a cold or broken solder joint maybe on the output socket or something. That's the first I would check with a multimeter. Also what happens when you jiggle the cord near the output socket?
Next it is important to check if it changes when you operate the pup selector switch and if it changes when you change the volume or tone knobs.

Ralf

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yep. Mess with each connection at a time.

1) Verify cable
2) Verify the jack on guitar
3) Verify the pickup selector switch
4) Twist each and every tone and volume knob to see if you hear stuff as you move it.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Some folks find the "right sound" on a guitar, home stereo etc - and quit moving any pots or switches so they "do not loose" that great sound. The negative effect of this is, that all contacts get oxidized and eventually start creating problems like op mentioned. So even if there is a "golden position" - it is good practice to tweak all switches and knobs often from end-to-end - more times is better. This keeps the contacts cleaner and fights oxidation. Even the cheapest switches and pots can last tens of thousands twistings before they wear out - so nothing to fear there. 4 times / day - every day - fifty years = 4x365x50 = 73000. Suppose in 50 years there will be other issues if played regularly every day.