Met up with a friend and his unknown Guild

MartyG

Reaction score
Had a chance to visit with an old friend earlier in the week on a quick trip to Wisconsin. I had no idea he had a Guild until I spotted it in his living room. Did not get a good look at the label inside, other than to say it had a lot of letters and numbers. Not as big as my D-25, but it had a nice sound. He thought it was a late 90s model. Any thoughts?

48259351927_cb77a6bb2c_c.jpg

Marty

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
G75? the 3/4 D50 model? could be.
it does look a tad smaller but they would not have been around in 90s. outside of this, it looks like a D40, but smallish, unless that is just the camera angle.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Where in Wisconsin??? I was born and raised there and continue to hold that state in high regard. Not sure on the model.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
G75? the 3/4 D50 model? could be.
it does look a tad smaller but they would not have been around in 90s. outside of this, it looks like a D40, but smallish, unless that is just the camera angle.
I agree that double white binding jumps out and says "D40" to me, and it could look "smallish" if that guy's over 6ft tall..

A G75 would also look like it's got an oversize sound hole:
g75.JPG

Marty if you meant the guitar is physically smaller than your D25 I think it's just a fluke of your memory of size.
Dreadnuts were pretty identical except for that G75 Clay mentioned.
If you meant the sound wasn't as big, well I felt that way about my D40 compred to my D25 for the first few years too.
A flatback's a different beast than an archback if your '25's an archback, it's more "focused".
Looks like a snakehead headstock too which very late Westerly D40's got.
Could be a DV-6 too, which would have a herringbone rosette, can't tell from the pic but I also note the pickguard seems to be unusually narrow, shows a lot more of the rosette than I'm used to seeing, perhaps.
Only way to really nail that one down is to ask him to read off the label to you.
There were about 3 or 4 ways to get a dread with a chesterfield headstock in the late 90's "IIRC".

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
got to admit, from that camera angle, it does look smallish for a dread, but even with computer glasses, my eyes are just not great.
and to the G75 point, they would have been dc'd as of the 90s, so maybe if it is a G75, he bought it used. and that lighting is tough to tell, looks hog to me but i have seen real light rosewood too so you never know. waiting for a Hans answer, a "Hanswer" if you will.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Looks like gold-plated tuners.
Guild Gallery #1 shows pic of DV-6's with Gold tuners.
Wasn't sure if it was a fluke of lighting or not but it could be another clue.
On the other hand all the pics of Richie Havens with a D40 in that issue have 'em too.
I think the rosette'd be definitive but it's too indistinct.
Somehow it looks awfully wide to me.
And typically their rosewood bodies DID get very dark stain, or at last llok that way in photos.
Like Clay I think it's 'hog body from color, too.
It's actually lighter than my D25 in that photo, but looks EXACTLY like my Corona D40.

Last edited:

Antney

Reaction score
My d50 looks small on me, but I’m a monster of a man, 6’3 210lbs. My les Paul looks out of proportion when I wear it. I was going to say it’s a d50, but not with that rosette??

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My d50 looks small on me, but I’m a monster of a man, 6’3 210lbs. My les Paul looks out of proportion when I wear it. I was going to say it’s a d50, but not with that rosette??

Y'know y'just made me check, didn't remember they were still listing D50s's on s/n chart as late as '95!
Thought they'd been replaced by DV52 in '92.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Had a chance to visit with an old friend earlier in the week on a quick trip to Wisconsin. I had no idea he had a Guild until I spotted it in his living room. Did not get a good look at the label inside, other than to say it had a lot of letters and numbers. Not as big as my D-25, but it had a nice sound. He thought it was a late 90s model. Any thoughts?

48259351927_cb77a6bb2c_c.jpg

Marty

Hello Marty,

That may have been a DV-6-NT-HG (or HR in case of a hand-rubbed finish) or if the pickup is original, a DV-6-NT-HG-E.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

MartyG

Reaction score
That sounds right Hans - thanks. I sent him an Email to confirm. I need a better cell phone camera...

MartyG

Reaction score
Just got this back from him:
My Guild Guitar model is DV6-NT HG serial # AD061607. I believe it is a mid 1990s , the price tag said $1299.00.

I was not able to find that string of numbers in the various serial # guides I've come across. Can someone lock it in to a particular year? Thanks.

Marty

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My Guild Guitar model is DV6-NT HG serial # AD061607. I believe it is a mid 1990s , the price tag said $1299.00.

I was not able to find that string of numbers in the various serial # guides I've come across. Can someone lock it in to a particular year? Thanks.

Marty

Hello Marty,

Your friend's guitar is from 1996.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl