Tell me about the M-40

WayToBlue

Reaction score
I have decided that I am going to purchase a 00-size gutiar. Preferably one similar in specifications to the Martin 00-18, which I consider to be the flagship of this sub-variety of guitar shapes. The guitars I am intend to sample before making a choice include a used Taylor GC5, Yamaha FS5, Guild M-40 (previously F-40, but smaller?) Martin 00-18, and any others I may stumble across along the way. To date, I have yet to see this new Guild M-40 in the wild and there is little on the internet about that guitar. I found one post on LTG about it from 2017, and while it sure looks sweet I would like a more comprehensive review. Would anyone happen to have any experience with the M-40 they would be willing to share? Or perhaps a link I may have missed?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild M-40 (previously F-40, but smaller?)
No, previously F20.
Under new model numbering system "40" means 'hog body/spruce top and "M" is body size.
To date, I have yet to see this new Guild M-40 in the wild
Yeah, Oxnard production isn't up the levels of the "big boys" and most early production went to internet -based sellers.
To tell the truth I couldn't even remember if they'd made any M40's yet although it would have made sense since it's basically the same as an M20 except for the top, and that was the first thing they made when Oxnard finally started shipping guitars in '16.
and there is little on the internet about that guitar. I found one post on LTG about it from 2017, and while it sure looks sweet I would like a more comprehensive review. Would anyone happen to have any experience with the M-40 they would be willing to share? Or perhaps a link I may have missed?
Google search of this site with posts containing "M40":
https://www.google.com/search?ei=Zn..........0i71j0i13j0i8i7i30j0i13i30.GGQ8h9EgM5s

Not all of 'em contain owner reviews, but there may be stuff there you haven't seen yet.
:friendly_wink:

WayToBlue

Reaction score
Ahhh I understand now. Well, then I should probably just hunt down a vintage 60's F-20 instead. :wink:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ahhh I understand now. Well, then I should probably just hunt down a vintage 60's F-20 instead. :wink:
Glad to be of service!
Can only think of 2 reasons to buy new and they just happen to rank high with me:
The "honeymoon moment" and the warranty

But if the right F45ce showed up with an actual 1-11/16 nut width, I'd be sorely tempted since they don't even make an F45ce right now...

jedzep

Reaction score
A 60's F30 would have all the benefits of the smaller F20 version, but with a louder, more complex voicing. My experience with F20s is that I found myself craving a little more 'umph'.

I'm locked in to old guitars. If you like breaking a guitar in go ahead and buy an Oxnard build.

Last edited:

marius

Reaction score
Depends on how you feel about nut width. A 60’s F-20 is generally going to have a narrow nut spec’d at 1 11/16” but probably closer to 1 5/8”. The M-40 will have a 1 3/4” nut.