Repair shop sign

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
I can go along with that. So let's forget about the opening post and think about something else instead. Something inspired by this thread, but...

Not too long ago I heard a man refer to a Latino woman as "Miss Housekeeping." The woman was not a housekeeper, but in fact was a person of great accomplishment deserving of respect. The man called her "Miss Housekeeping" simply because she is Latino.

Latina is a race, so I think it's safe to say that the comment was racist. I suppose we could argue about whether or not it's bad, but we can't argue about whether or not it's racist. I think the comment meets everyone's definition of racist.

Now, suppose someone were to refer to a German man as "Mister Hitler." In fact, he shares virtually no similarities with Hitler, the comment was made simply because the guy is German.

What do you call that? If German is not a race, then we can't call the comment racist, but the act must have a name. Note that I'm not asking whether the comment was good or bad, politically correct or not; don't care about that. I just want to know what to call it if I can't call it racist.
You can call it racist. Its your keyboard. I just don't think racist is accurate. Urban Dictionary says it's fine, but my New World Dictionary doesn't. And since I haven't changed, I'd use words like:

- anti-German
- ethnocentric
- intolerant
- mean
- prejudiced
- snarky
- stereoyping
- unkind
- xenophobic

But since Germans and German Americans aren't an oppressed minority, I don't think the original post was any of those things. It was just funny.

Last edited:

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm not prejudiced....I hate everyone.

I do love a good schnitzel.

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
So did you hear the one about the bald guy that walked into a bar?
And says, "Gimme the hair of the dog that bit me!"

A skeleton walks into a bar and says, "Gimme a shot and a mop!"

A hotdog walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "We don't serve food here."

A priest, a vicar, a rabbi, a nun, an Englishman, an Irishman, a Frenchman, a German, a Mexican, an American, and a talking dog walk into a bar, and the bartender says, "What is this, a joke?"

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
In the 60s, I had this sign, or something very similar, on my ham radio setup. Thought it was funny at the time. Don't think I'd use it on anything today, but just goes to show some things last.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here is similar - a newspaper ad in Finland after the war . . .

1008932239.jpg

TOP - Car repair and Driving school in Ylistaro

Left - Work is done fast, well and at low cost

Right - Communists do not bother

Bottom - With respect : Kustaa Vannas