Acadia National Park Maine

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
My wife, our two doggies and I are visiting Bar Harbor area in Maine. We've been spending our time toodling around Acadia National Park on Mount Desert Island. This place is awesome! It's a little off the beaten track for a summer vacation, but well worth the trip.

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hi Rich. "Off the beaten path" sounds heavenly to me for a summer (or any other time of the year) vacation getaway. Years ago, I packed up my Jeep, put my old dog Moose in the front seat and headed out to the NE. Truly enjoyed myself, especially in New Hampshire, Up State New York and Maine. We spent a lot of time camping at Matawamkeg (sp???) in Maine. Good times.

silverfox103

Reaction score
Great Choice Rich. We're probably 5 hours away. We go there every year in October, crowds are less. It's small but probably my favorite National Park. If you can, go to see the sunrise on Cadillac Mountain. It's the first sunrise in the US. Gotta get up early. One other thing is Martha's Diner in Ellsworth (151 High St # 7), you won't be disappointed. Located in a shopping area, breakfast and lunch only.

My son and his family are coming up from Atlanta to go to Acadia this weekend. He still remembers it when we went there when he was growing up.

Tom

Last edited:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Great Choice Rich. We're probably 5 hours away. We go there every year in October, crowds are less. It's small but probably my favorite National Park. If you can, go to see the sunrise on Cadillac Mountain. It's the first sunrise in the US. Gotta get up early. One other thing is Martha's Diner in Ellsworth (151 High St # 7), you won't be disappointed. Located in a shopping area, breakfast and lunch only.

My son and his family are coming up from Atlanta to go to Acadia this weekend. He still remembers it when we went there when he was growing up.

Tom

Haven't done the sunrise on Cadillac Mountain, though we visited there two days back. We're about 40 mins from there so getting up early enough to catch sunrise would be something of a chore -- after all, sunrise is at 4:58am! Anyway, we're staying in a lovely, architect designed cottage with a wide glass wall facing east, overlooking a cove, and the sunrise here is pretty spectacular.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....It's a little off the beaten track....

Off the beaten track is good. Our new place up in Northern Idaho is up in the forest. Definitely off the beaten track!

hop764.jpg

The road goes "private" after 1/4 mile, then our driveway....

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Used to spend a week or so most every September on Toddy Pond, which is between Orland and Blue Hill, and is a beautiful, pristine lake that bans motorboats. Visits to Acadia were always in the plan, along with bike rides with the club from Searsport. The coast of Maine is one of the most beautiful places on earth, and a favorite of my Scottish father. The first time I went to Scotland I realized why. There are so many similarities between the Highlands of Scotland and Downeast Maine, right down to the frigid ocean water!

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
My wife, our two doggies and I are visiting Bar Harbor area in Maine. We've been spending our time toodling around Acadia National Park on Mount Desert Island. This place is awesome! It's a little off the beaten track for a summer vacation, but well worth the trip.
It's not off my beaten track! We go there alot. If you can get in, going to Jordan Pond House for popovers, jam, and tea (or just lunch) out on the lawn is high summer at its summeriest.

My wife lived in Charlottesville until we got married - another great place to visit, in this boy's humble.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I went to Acadia when I was 10. Biggest thing I remember is seeing a Moose and the tides of the Bay of Fundy!

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
It's not off my beaten track! We go there alot. If you can get in, going to Jordan Pond House for popovers, jam, and tea (or just lunch) out on the lawn is high summer at its summeriest.

My wife lived in Charlottesville until we got married - another great place to visit, in this boy's humble.

Thanks for the tip about Jordan House restaurant. We're signed up for a park ranger's walk around Jordan Pond tomorrow.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I went to Acadia when I was 10. Biggest thing I remember is seeing a Moose and the tides of the Bay of Fundy!

Wait a minute! There are NO moose on Great Desert Island, so says the park rangers. You gotta go north in Maine to see the moose. Weather in winter isn't nasty enough for them around here, I guess.

Maybe you meant Acadia area in coastal Canada?

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wait a minute! There are NO moose on Great Desert Island, so says the park rangers. You gotta go north in Maine to see the moose. Weather in winter isn't nasty enough for them around here, I guess.

Well now that I really think about it I'm not sure. First upon further review I believe it was 1965 which would have made me 6. But I swear I remember seeing a Moose in Acadia NP in Maine. It's really not that important. I could check the family camping log book to see if it was noted. Ask the Ranger if there could have been a Moose there in 1965.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
i recently was in York ME and we went swimming and long and short sands beaches. water temp is 57 degrees :)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
+1 for the popovers! Went to Acadia two years ago - beautiful place!

walrus

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

That is true Rich, but I have a feeling that Grot must have been upstate Maine as well. Also, the Bay of Fundy is east of Eastport ME (easternmost point in the continental US) and has something like 30 foot tides, along with the biggest whirlpool in the northern hemisphere. I rode my bike one September to Campbell Island, and watching the tide come in was like watching a gigantic bathtub fill up!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
i recently was in York ME and we went swimming and long and short sands beaches. water temp is 57 degrees :)

I had family that lived a few miles North. The locals said there were two weeks in August when it actually made sense to swim. Any other time and you were training for the Polar Bear Club.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I had family that lived a few miles North. The locals said there were two weeks in August when it actually made sense to swim. Any other time and you were training for the Polar Bear Club.
I went to Acadia University in Nova Scotia. First weekend went to a Fundy beach with my cousin and his kids. I barely managed to put a toe in the water, his kids spent all afternoon swimming.
As to moose in Maine, here's Eastport, a little north of the park.
13566944_1100611080004751_4924300239758895753_n.jpg

Don't know the cause, but we have moose here in CT now, never had them until the last 10-15 years, so maybe they're adapting to climate change.
Brad

F312

Reaction score
I went to Acadia University in Nova Scotia. First weekend went to a Fundy beach with my cousin and his kids. I barely managed to put a toe in the water, his kids spent all afternoon swimming.
As to moose in Maine, here's Eastport, a little north of the park.
13566944_1100611080004751_4924300239758895753_n.jpg

Don't know the cause, but we have moose here in CT now, never had them until the last 10-15 years, so maybe they're adapting to climate change.
Brad

It always turns into a heated debate.

Ralph

dbirchett

Reaction score
Absolutely love Bar Harbor. We've been there three times, going all the way 'cross country from Arizona. If you go to Acadia though, dress warmly. It really gets cold up on the mountain.