Acadia National Park Maine

Mark WW

Reaction score
COastal Maine is beautiful. Maine has a LOT of pine trees. I had family in Old Orchard Beach and spent 2 -3 weeks up there most summers as a kid. Lotsa Canadians spent summer vacay in Old Orchard back then.

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
Haven't done the sunrise on Cadillac Mountain, though we visited there two days back. We're about 40 mins from there so getting up early enough to catch sunrise would be something of a chore -- after all, sunrise is at 4:58am! Anyway, we're staying in a lovely, architect designed cottage with a wide glass wall facing east, overlooking a cove, and the sunrise here is pretty spectacular.
Yup. Thank the geniuses who decided Maine should be in Eastern Time instead of Atlantic Time. Gr.

The first time I visited Cadillac was around 1971. It was the middle of the night, and my friends and I lay on our backs to watch a meteor shower with about a hundred other people.

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
COastal Maine is beautiful. Maine has a LOT of pine trees. I had family in Old Orchard Beach and spent 2 -3 weeks up there most summers as a kid. Lotsa Canadians spent summer vacay in Old Orchard back then.
They still do - French Canadians, anyway. We spot them by their skimpy swim suits. The same crowd migrates to Hollywood, Florida, every winter. Are you near there?

Hollywood and Old Orchard should be ville soeurs.

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
Wait a minute! There are NO moose on Great Desert Island, so says the park rangers. You gotta go north in Maine to see the moose. Weather in winter isn't nasty enough for them around here, I guess.

Maybe you meant Acadia area in coastal Canada?
That's Mount Desert Island (often pronounced like dessert, because when the French explorers arrived, it was deserted.)

Moose are all over the state - not just north - but I'm sure they're not on Mount Desert. Where would they hide from tourists?

Let's also point out to the Guilds of Grot that Mount Desert is not in the Bay of Fundy! (You're probably right, G of G probably means the Canadian east coast, but I didn't think anyone called it that anymore. We usually call it the Maritime Provinces or just the Maritimes.

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
I went to Acadia when I was 10. Biggest thing I remember is seeing a Moose and the tides of the Bay of Fundy!
See post #25.

The Bay of Fundy is what awesome used to mean. Eastport is the prettiest town in Maine, and the ferry ride from Blacks Harbor in New Brunswick to Grand Manan Island is boggling, rain or shine.

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
I had family that lived a few miles North. The locals said there were two weeks in August when it actually made sense to swim. Any other time and you were training for the Polar Bear Club.
We just say that to discourage tourists. The beaches here are few but wonderful - and swimmable mid-June to mid-September. My favorite: Popham. I've been on beaches all over the world and haven't found one prettier or more agreeable. (Can't surf it, though. Too many sand bars.)

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
That is true Rich, but I have a feeling that Grot must have been upstate Maine as well. Also, the Bay of Fundy is east of Eastport ME (easternmost point in the continental US) and has something like 30 foot tides, along with the biggest whirlpool in the northern hemisphere. I rode my bike one September to Campbell Island, and watching the tide come in was like watching a gigantic bathtub fill up!
Yup! See post #25.

Lubec is actually the easternmost town, and Quoddy Head is east of that. (The cliff across the water in that photo is Grand Manan Island, Canada - another great trip.)

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
Absolutely love Bar Harbor. We've been there three times, going all the way 'cross country from Arizona. If you go to Acadia though, dress warmly. It really gets cold up on the mountain.
Well, yeah, sometimes. In Maine, we like layers. We put 'em on, we take 'em off. Constantly.

And it depends on what you're used to. I was at a hotel in Santa Fe with my wife, stepdaughter, and stepdaughter's boyfriend - a pack of northerners. We were out in the courtyard one morning having coffee and whatnot. It was a nice, breeze sixty-something-degrees day, and the chambermaid was appalled that we liked it. She was shivering.

On the other extreme: We have a Pakistani friend here who often phones her relatives back home. One day she called her aunt and asked her if she was going out that day. Her aunt said, no, it was too cold. How cold? Eighty degrees.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Let's also point out to the Guilds of Grot that Mount Desert is not in the Bay of Fundy! (You're probably right, G of G probably means the Canadian east coast, but I didn't think anyone called it that anymore. We usually call it the Maritime Provinces or just the Maritimes.

Well in my defense I was a little kid and it was a week long camping trip that at some point we stayed at Acadia. I believe we also might have climbed Cadillac Mountain? I just remember a bunch of black steel ladders and being scared to death. We also took the Blue Nose (?) Ferry from Maine to Nova Scotia. It was an ugly day and the whole family got seasick.

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
Well in my defense I was a little kid and it was a week long camping trip that at some point we stayed at Acadia. I believe we also might have climbed Cadillac Mountain? I just remember a bunch of black steel ladders and being scared to death. We also took the Blue Nose (?) Ferry from Maine to Nova Scotia. It was an ugly day and the whole family got seasick.
Oh, man, your parents let you climb the Beehive? Folks get killed up there!

I took the Bluenose in '71, when I was nineteen. Met nice girls. Fun!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Just to add something "non-nature-oriented", the shopping and restaurant area at Bar Harbor is very nice way to spend an evening...

walrus

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
Just to add something "non-nature-oriented", the shopping and restaurant area at Bar Harbor is very nice way to spend an evening...

walrus
Yup! Bar Harbor is crammed with great bars and eateries. Our two favorites:

Overlooking the harbor is Bar Harbor's most spectacular spot for lunch or a drink: the patio at the Bar Harbor Inn. Even though it's ringside to Nirvana, the prices of drinks and food aren't any different than most other Bar Harbor bars and restaurants.

Our favorite quiet, non-tourist dinner spot: Blackfriar Inn and Pub. It's right in the middle of town, but off on a side street, so you really have to mean to find it to find it.