Back to Shawshank!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Whatever modern Franz style PU copy was added has a full range of voicings through my old Fender Princeton, but the clincher is I just can't put it down.

XLK17czm.jpg

rZ9JAHbm.jpg

Hello jedzep,

That is the original pickup, which was the standard pickup for the model during that particular period.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

jedzep

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks, Hans. I was thinking 'soapbar'. Don't mind as much now for laying out more dollars than were in my G.A.S. budget.

Call me crazy, but I just snagged a set of early 60's Kluson double line tuners to feed my need for PC (period correctness).

Dave

Last edited:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I just snagged a set of early 60's Kluson double line tuners to feed my need for PC (period correctness).

Dave

Hello Dave,

Actually, if you want the guitar to be period correct, you should try to get a set of Van Ghent 3-on-a-strip tuners with metal buttons.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

jedzep

Reaction score
Arrrrgh! Shot through the heart! Why didn't I ask you first?

Nevertheless, the footprint on my guitar under the faux Klusons is the same as the double line K's, so maybe they ran out of the Van Ghents in Hoboken that day. I have old Waverly 3 on a plate machines with white oval, but again, the footprint on the peghead shows only the Kluson trace.

I remember the Van Ghent machines from my 'Goya/Levin' days, but I don't think I've seen the 3 on a plate tuners. Got a photo?

I'll look around.

Dave

Last edited:

jedzep

Reaction score
I found these, Hans, which do share the Kluson footprint. I couldn't live with the ornate buttons, though.

http://www.guitarage.nl/parts/1358-van-ghent-van-gent-guitar-tuners-22/

Funny, Frank from 'Guitarage' told me you are the only one who has ever returned these after buying. Well...that tells me something.

Did the Van Ghents you had in mind happen to have oval button options or are these Van Ghent's signature shape?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I found these, Hans, which do share the Kluson footprint. I couldn't live with the ornate buttons, though.

http://www.guitarage.nl/parts/1358-van-ghent-van-gent-guitar-tuners-22/

Funny, Frank from 'Guitarage' told me you are the only one who has ever returned these after buying. Well...that tells me something.

Those are the ones that should be on your guitar. And yes, I returned those and I must say that I still hate the idea of having to send them back, because I was so happy to have found a source for these tuners. Actually, I bought 24 of the single ones (if I remember correctly) and only 2 of them worked properly. They had way too much play when turning the buttons, which I've never experienced on these; not even on the same tuners that had been used for more than 30 years. I offered to send him some tuners from my personal guitars, just to show him what my complaint was, but I guess he wasn't interested in hearing what was wrong with them. Now he may think that I'm just a nagging customer!
Anyway, if you really need these tuners for originality (and I do not know if the 3-on-a-plate ones are the same) you could still buy them, but for me the single ones were not good enough to have in stock for future repairs.

Did the Van Ghents you had in mind happen to have oval button options or are these Van Ghent's signature shape?

The oval buttons were used on Guild guitars, but I don't think I've seen them on M-65s from that particular period. By the way, if you have my book, there's a photo of a Cherry finished M-65 with that pickup and those tuners on page 61.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

jedzep

Reaction score
Though I'm not a diligent student of Guilds, I've never seen nor heard of Van Ghent machines being used widespread on them. That cherry toned M65 in your book is really the first I've ever seen with the Van Gs. Was it a notably short run for Guild with these? I can't find much reference to them being used on Guilds.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Though I'm not a diligent student of Guilds, I've never seen nor heard of Van Ghent machines being used widespread on them. That cherry toned M65 in your book is really the first I've ever seen with the Van Gs. Was it a notably short run for Guild with these? I can't find much reference to them being used on Guilds.

Van Ghent tuners show up on some basses just often enough to be the exception to any rule people try to make about Guild bass tuners.

jedzep

Reaction score
That's more or less the way I see the frequency of the appearance of these machines in the overall history of Guild guitars. A mere glitch.

As I said to Hans, I'd never consider putting them on my M65 for aesthetic reasons, period correct or not.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That's more or less the way I see the frequency of the appearance of these machines in the overall history of Guild guitars. A mere glitch.

Don't agree with the Van Ghents being considered 'a mere glitch'. I have at least a couple of hundred Guild guitars in my database, not just M-65s though, with exactly those tuners. Compared to that number and combined with what I've researched so far, the 3-on-a-plate Kluson Deluxe tuners would appear to be a glitch during that particular period. Also, if it was just a few guitars that were outfitted with those tuners, I would not have posted that the Van Ghent units would be the period correct ones for your guitar!

I'd never consider putting them on my M65 for aesthetic reasons, period correct or not.

Well, aesthetics are a personal thing, but I don't think that the Van Ghents look that bad on a Guild headstock. Here's what they look like on the headstock of another M-65 that's just a couple of digits away from the one that you have and I'm quite sure that your M-65 had them when it left the factory.

M65_VanGhent1.jpg

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

jedzep

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Hans. I defer gladly, of course, to your experience. The peghead actually doesn't look as gaudy in the pic. I'm surprised at how I missed seeing those machines over the years considering how much window shopping I do.

Might have to just stick with the faux Klusons. They work easily and cleanly, holding pitch. At least the metal oval buttons line up with the look of the PU.

The best laid plans of mice and men...

Last edited: