A whole lotta' shakin' goin' on

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've been through Ridgecrest a few times. Was at the Naval Weapon Center once. I feel for those folks. 6.4 quake on July 4th, and a 6.9 just a few minutes ago. Both shook our house pretty good. This last one was different than yesterday. Our relatives call because they know we live in "The Mojave Desert" and the national news says it happened with no more precision than just "The Mojave Desert" and they folks get concerned. RidgeCrest is about 95 miles north of us. It's a BIG desert.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It is John!! Las Vegas got a good shock.... more than the other morning!! It was (for a California person) one of those, "Oh dear.... do i need to put my keyboard down and can anything hurt the guitars?" kinda thing. It went on for a while. But as an earthquake veteran, I think this was significant. But the people in Ridgecrest are hurting right now. Jeeze!! One other reason to be happy to be in Vegas. However, I look around this beautiful valley surrounded by huge mountains and think, "This wasn't made by geological pacifism." But we all good here. Ridgecrest and surrounds, not so much. :surprise: Just got a little aftershock at 10:05 pacific time.... beds still rocking....

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
Fresno shook more and for a longer time than yesterday.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, those folks in Ridgecrest and the Naval Weapon Center, they must be seeing some real damage. They are having small to less than small after shocks all day long.

bobouz

Reaction score
I inherited five acres of sagebrush in Cantil, which is very close to the epicenter. My dad had purchased the land in the '50s, probably thinking someday the area would be developed (never happened).

Sold it earlier this year, without ever actually setting foot on the property - Don't like the sun or warm weather!

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Scary stuff. It gets pretty chilly here in NE Michigan at times but at least we don't need to worry much about the earth shaking and all that. Be safe!!!!!!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Salt Lake is too far to feel anything, but I remember the Northridge quake (7.1) when I was living in South Pasadena (about 25 miles from Northridge). Like two freight trains barreling along going 60 mph right outside my bedroom windows, one going north, one going south. I mean, it was LOUD. And it just went on and on. When it finally stopped, the cacophony of car alarms didn't....

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I spent a lot of time in Ridgecrest decades ago. Naval Weapons Center, if I told you they'd shoot both of us kind of stuff although I can say that the company I worked for was building instrumentation radars and we had two out there. Kind of glad I don't remember too much about the town.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Kind of glad I don't remember too much about the town.

I don't think you're missing much. It's not real big.

The cool thing about getting LA network channels is that when ever there is something large, Lucy Jones from Cal-Tech and tells everyone what's going on. They keep one section of the video feed on the seismograph, in case it starts to really move. 20 years ago, where was a pair of quakes. One in a town called Landers and one in Big Bear. We had a really good shake in the high desert and were watching the TV and while they were talking, we saw the graph start to jump and then the second quake hit.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
I've been through Ridgecrest a few times. Was at the Naval Weapon Center once. I feel for those folks. 6.4 quake on July 4th, and a 6.9 just a few minutes ago. Both shook our house pretty good. This last one was different than yesterday. Our relatives call because they know we live in "The Mojave Desert" and the national news says it happened with no more precision than just "The Mojave Desert" and they folks get concerned. RidgeCrest is about 95 miles north of us. It's a BIG desert.

John, last night's was a 7.1 felt pretty strongly even in LA 150 miles SW of the center fortunately not much damage...Southern Cali residents might want to keep the guitars in their cases and tied down for a bit...lots of aftershocks.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Only my banjo and old GC cheap $120 guitar are on wall hangers, so I'm covered , as far as that goes. I might store a few further from the book cases or attach the book cases to the wall, like I should.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
One of my co workers was visiting her mom for the 4th and weekend. In Ridgecrest. After the big shakes, they couldn't sleep for all the after shocks that you never could tell if that's ALL they were going to be. She said it was very loud. Like a train driving by on both sides of the house.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
One of my co workers was visiting her mom for the 4th and weekend. In Ridgecrest. After the big shakes, they couldn't sleep for all the after shocks that you never could tell if that's ALL they were going to be. She said it was very loud. Like a train driving by on both sides of the house.
I know that feeling.
We still get a 3.5+ around here every couple of years or so and that's enough to get things rumbling, and if lasts more than about 4 seconds one starts to wonder if this is the next "big one".
So far, so good.