New Resonator Day

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
In other news I've learned more about resonators than I ever thought I'd want to in the last few days.

I have always wanted one of these (which I now know is a Tricone National) because as a kid I thought they looked like a transformer:

NationalTricone.jpg

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It absolutely does look like a Transformer. Or, perhaps, the Transformer was made to look like it!

Those are really cool though, aren't they?

Enjoy your reso, GAD. You are one of the few that has one!

idealassets

Reaction score
Those tri-cones are great. In about 2012 I definitely regret not grabbing one of 2 like-new for sale at $1650 and $1700 in MI. It was at a time when many great used guitars were coming in for sale on consignment at the shops in MI. THat was when a luthier also pointed out to me the soon to be released Guild wood resonators.

However at that time I did get my "never played" 2007 Guild D55 & case, and certainly didn't want it to fly off the rack and leave if I wasn't going to be the new owner. Seconds before that, a Guild F30 Rosewood GSR Special Reserve sold, and the 2 guys that sound demo'd it walked briskly to the counter and out the store, into the car and sped away. During the "greater recession" lots of folks let their choice guitars go, but at the same time a few folks had some coin, and had a good idea what they were hoping to buy.

I discovered that the D55 was my best all purpose acoustic guitar. But I am a little biased for it also.

Other regrets include not buying a great Gibson SJ-200 Montana Gold at $3200 ask and a Martin D45 at $5200 ask. Consigners were told to accept offers of about 10-15% off.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
This review is going to be a long one. Every now and then I come across a new topic that grabs me and this one is so far twice as long as some of my others. I think it's good stuff, though. :)

beecee

Reaction score
This review is going to be a long one. Every now and then I come across a new topic that grabs me and this one is so far twice as long as some of my others. I think it's good stuff, though. :)

yeah resonators are fun..different world

I have a few, (non Guild), that I have to be in the right frame of mind to play...otherwise my John Mooney sounds like a screeching cat.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's a taste:
Thanks for posting that, yes, where is that "unique six-point open soundwell"? Looks pretty closed... But I guess the 6 holes are in the bottom half below the metal plate.

Last night I was at the Mark Knopfler concert in Munich. He played 3 resonators: A National style "O" '33 12 fret (Done with Bonaparte), a Beard Deco Phonic™ Model 37 Roundneck (Romeo and Juliet) and a cool little 1996 Beltona Electro Resonator (Heart Full of Holes).

Ralf

Last edited: