How do you carry Equipment to a Gig?

pancho400cid

Reaction score
Hey all:

I play in a classic country band - mostly acoustic rhythm. I carry a mic or two, guitar cables, extra strings, tuner, a few hand tools, flashlight a few effects, etc. etc. to gigs generally. My cheapie zipper bag that I piled stuff in 10 years ago as a temporary measure (LOL) gave up the ghost recently.

I need a replacement bag of some type. I think a lot of guys use backpacks nowadays. Have you got a good solution?

Thanks!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, I use a backpack with wheels if I just need that. I also use a Guild stool, so I put my guitar and everything on a Rubbermaid cart and wheel it in. The cart folds up and goes right in the bed of my truck. After I load it up with all my stuff it doubles as my walker, LOL. $46.99 at Lowes.

R1J4f98.jpg

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks good as long as I don't have to carry it! LOL But it would fit perfectly on my cart. Of course, you still need an instrument, instrument stand, mic stand, music stand, amp...

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
All kinds of things. My car, of course. Tote bags, back packs, a messenger bag, a duffle bag, bare hands. Gig bags or hard cases for instruments. A collapsible light-weight hand truck, if I'm taking my PA. I've used suitcases for pedal boards.

It all depends on what gear I'm taking.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I tell the bass player (who's 20 years younger than me) to go git my stuff son. I buy him a couple beers and he seems happy enough.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I tell the bass player (who's 20 years younger than me) to go git my stuff son. I buy him a couple beers and he seems happy enough.

I am the bass player. My amp is about 12lbs and has its own carry bag with shoulder strap. I stuff the bag and my bass case with the extras I need. Of course I don't use pedals or a mike...

MLBob

Reaction score
If you are in the market for a really nice collapsible cart at a very reasonable price; and have a Harbor Freight tool store near you, check theirs out. Under $40 for the large one.... and I want to say I picked mine up during one of their frequent specials for about $29. Solid construction, handle folds down easily for transport + Has large caster wheels (two of them are on swivel mounts for easy steering). Both my band-mate and I each have one, and it makes it easy for me to wheel our sound system (a Shertler Jam 400 with an integrated mixing board), two of my acoustic guitars in hard cases, mic stand, my acoustic pedalboard, and a plastic milk carton full of cables, mics, power strips, extensions, etc. into any venue in just one trip from the truck.

I know that I have pics of it all loaded up, but will have to wait ‘til I can access them from my pc at home ( ....and load them to “Imgur”).
I’ll do that this weekend after we get back from a family trip. I looked at a lot of carts specifically marketed as “music gear carts,” but was always put off by the price tag before finding this one.

Bob

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That’s the roadie’s problem. (Or in my case, my students). :nevreness:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think I like your approach best, Chris!

As an ex-roadie I love that approach - it has paid my house and my multiple Mercedes trucks, vans and cars :cheerful:

crank

Reaction score
With what you have to carry I would just get a backpack.

Me, I have a rolling Pelican case that holds a boat load of crap:

Multi FX unit
Wha Wha Pedal
1 Amp mic
2 vocal mics
3 XLR cables
4 instrument cables
Guitar Stand (about half the time)
Wireless receiver unit
Clamp on Ipad Holder
Extra Batteries (AA & 9V)
Some short guitar cables
Roll of duct tape

pancho400cid

Reaction score
Thanks for the input all.

What bugs me about duffel-type bags/backpacks is they are deep so more rummaging around to find what you want. A "briefcase" might be cool as it opens up 180 degrees and is then relatively shallow. OTOH it doesn't have sholder straps, which I think might be good to have. I guess I'll check some department store backpacks and/or briefcases to see if there is a good choice.

One cool thing about the bag I linked to above is it holds rolled-up cables and mics neatly so I could quit lugging the (literal) milk crate I use for that. Two bags in one if you will... At twice the weight obviously....

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey all:

I play in a classic country band - mostly acoustic rhythm. I carry a mic or two, guitar cables, extra strings, tuner, a few hand tools, flashlight a few effects, etc. etc. to gigs generally. My cheapie zipper bag that I piled stuff in 10 years ago as a temporary measure (LOL) gave up the ghost recently.

I need a replacement bag of some type. I think a lot of guys use backpacks nowadays. Have you got a good solution?

Thanks!

One thing I used to use for a solo acoustic gig was a roller bag like for carry on luggage. That was for my cords, mics, tuners, pedals, DI's, Duct Tape, etc. I have a small mic case that fits in it perfectly so the mics are safe from bouncing into everything else. My guitars I carried everywhere with me at all times so they didn't grow legs. If you need to carry a bunch of stuff including an Amp I suggest Tupperware containers for your chords and stuff and one of the light dolly carts mentioned earlier.

When I had my Full Band together and we were providing our own PA for gigs the Tupperware containers and a good dolly were a lifesaver for keeping everything organized and being easily transportable.

TX

MLBob

Reaction score
Pictures of the cart from Harbor Freight-

Folded in the cargo space :

wzdTgJv.jpg
[/IMG]

Unfolded & loaded with everything that needs to be wheeled in:
gddlmSU.jpg
[/IMG]

Platform measures 2' wide X 3' long. Caster wheels are 5" in diameter.

Link to item: https://www.harborfreight.com/24-in-x-36-in-folding-platform-truck-68894.html
As I mentioned, Harbor Freight constantly runs special sales or offers discount coupons in their flyers. Believe I purchased mine for $29 when hey put this model on sale.

Bob

pancho400cid

Reaction score
For the "rest of the story"..... I just opted to go the Harbor Freight last weekend. I bought a folding cart, which was mentioned above:

https://www.harborfreight.com/16-in-x-28-in-folding-platform-truck-68896.html

And a 16" tool bag:

https://www.harborfreight.com/16-in-tool-bag-with-6-pockets-63637.html

Throw in some bungie chords, and I guess I'm good for a while. We played at a hotel Monday night, and making the long haul from the basement parking garage to the 7th floor in one trip was awesome! Very happy and it all works great for me. Next thing I need is one of those mic stand cases. Always something.... LOL.

Last edited: