Jaco Pastorius, Guild, and Hartke

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Stumbled across this while, as usual, searching for something else.
Suspect most of you Guild bass lovers know about Jaco's use of a Pilot bass, but I never came across anything here that mentioned his personal relationship with Mark Dronge which led to the relationship between Guild and Larry Hartke:
http://jacopastorius.com/features/stories/the-jaco-hartke-connection/
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
Great article - thanks for posting it! I was a huge Jaco fan when I was in high school in the '80s, don't listen so much anymore but still acknowledge his legendary status - any new info is appreciated.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Al

Do you happen to know - which LTG-member was born on the same day the same year as Jaco?

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
Never seen (or heard of) Jorma Kaukonen & Jaco performing together - cool picture.

There's also Brian Melvin's Nightfood with Jaco & Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead - one of my dorm mates in college had the CD, I remember listening and being underwhelmed, but my expectations were probably off too. I wanted virtuoso Jaco, or at least creative genius band member like in his stuff with Joni Mitchell. Haven't listened to it in over thirty years! With YouTube it's probably easy, but that takes the fun out of it too...

48184771336_100081fedf_o.jpg

(Found this pic at https://www.gdao.org/items/show/829629)

I guess this could be viewed as another Jaco-Guild connection, though admittedly much more distant. Jaco Pastorius performed with two guitarists whose two bands' bassists - Jefferson Airplane/Jack Casady & the Grateful Dead/Phil Lesh - are intimately linked to the early days of Alembic who modded their Guild Starfires.

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
The AMP amplifier referred to was made by a guy in Northridge (or thereabouts) who hired Steve Rabe to design a preamp. This is maybe 1983. I’d met Steve when he was an engineer at Acoustic, when a man named John Gradinetti, whom I’d known in San Diego, asked me to come out to Acoustic to show the engineers what I was doing. What I was doing was no big deal, but it was ‘81 and I guess a bit rare for the time: it was just a rack with 2 Alembic units and a big *** power amp. But it was really heavy. I was talking about wanting lighter and more versatile.

Anyhoo, couple years later and Steve contacted me when he was at this new company, saying that all the ideas I’d been talking about were now something that he could introduce. When he finished the design, they sent me one and fired him. He called me and asked if I would help design a new amp, and help bury the guys who fired him.

It worked. I bought the first SWR head 6 months later. And you’ve probably never heard of AMP.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Thanks for the historical refresh, godly one.

Though, I think i recall the AMP brand as well. Those guys sure blew it!