‘67 Thunderbass

Vermonter

Reaction score
‘67 Thunderbass

Here’s my new baby. I parked it in my studio next to my ‘71 Twin.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks interesting! How is that mounting bracket between the cabinet and the head working? Never noticed that before.
Ralf

Vermonter

Reaction score
Works great. Kind of a weird setup, but it does give it a distinctive look.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
indeed he did. thanks again Lance, and see u at Grand Point North!! I totally remember talking to u there. may have been last year, or possibly 3 years ago. too funny! enjoy the thunder. the normal channel is holy grail for teles, btw

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Back when I played one of those (bought new!), I thought that it looked so weird that I would set it on the speaker cab upside down. Even back then I realized that your appearance and stage presence was more important than your skill level

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks interesting! How is that mounting bracket between the cabinet and the head working? Never noticed that before.
Ralf

That's pretty crazy how they use the handle of the head to mount it to the speaker cabinet.

When I got my Thunderbass head it was missing the handle but came with the four rubber feet mounted to the top of the housing. I had no idea why and moved them to the bottom where I thought they belonged!

Thunderbass.jpg

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's pretty crazy how they use the handle of the head to mount it to the speaker cabinet. When I got my Thunderbass head it was missing the handle but came with the four rubber feet mounted to the top of the housing. I had no idea why and moved them to the bottom where I thought they belonged!
Only now I noticed the rubber feet in Vermonters picture! So it the amp was intentionally upside down in the housing and you had to turn the whole amp in order to set it up on top of the cabinet. That's clever or crazy or both!
Ralf

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Yes. It looked like a robot from a 1950s Sci-Fi movie.

I'd be curious to hear the back story of the design decision that led to that one! There must have been some heated exchanges, yes/no?

Vague recall is that mine was the lower power version, not the 100 watt version endorsed by Fielder from BS&T. So the head got traded in for a slightly louder Traynor rig. I played that with the Guild cab as an extension until I graduated up to Sunn tube & Solid State rigs.

Anyway ....

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes. It looked like a robot from a 1950s Sci-Fi movie.
I remember '50's sci-fi movie robots as still having that "streamlined" look.
(Robot is on the left):
baddb7611a833c035ef60b90f63ae3dd.jpg

In this case I think the amp foreshadowed the '70's robots, or in this case, evil computers, as in "Colossus; the Forbin Project":
forbin_4.jpg

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
This site needs a ‘“like” button. The Thunderbass head is one of my two favorites.